Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you buying a 2021 iPad Pro with 1TB 16GB?

• Yes

Votes: 60 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 43 41.7%

• Total voters

Duckyduckbumps

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2017
The specs are impressive but at almost AU$3000 including the Pencil, I would really need to sell my MSI laptop and Cintiq 16 Pro to buy it. The new hardware would need to replace the old hardware, and with the limitations of iPadOS that won’t happen.

I think if I could attach an external display and do proper display extension, that could justify it.

Are you buying a 1TB iPad Pro? If so, what are you using it for?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Need 16GB for MacOS and since Apple doesn't offer 16GB RAM/256GB storage configuration like with M1 Macbooks that's what I would go with. Apple realizes that everyone will want a MacOS two-in-one with touch and pen inputs over a traditional Macbook without so they're milking it.

Duckyduckbumps

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2017
Need 16GB for MacOS and since Apple doesn't offer 16GB RAM/256GB storage configuration like with M1 Macbooks that's what I would go with. Apple realizes that everyone will want a MacOS two-in-one with touch and pen inputs over a traditional Macbook without so they're milking it.
So you think Apple will allow macOS to run on iPad Pro. I don’t think so...

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
So you think Apple will allow macOS to run on iPad Pro. I don’t think so...

All signs point to it. Big Sur can already run iPadOS apps but it hasn't taken off since M1 Macbooks lack touch and pen inputs. 16GB RAM, 2TB storage and M1 are way overkill for just iPadOS. Plus, Tim Cook has never grinned so creepily for any other iPad release. It's coming.

tim-cooks-devious-grin-at-the-apple-event-is-now-a-meme_6y4n.960.jpg

Duckyduckbumps

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2017
All signs point to it. Big Sur can already run iPadOS apps but it hasn't taken off since M1 Macbooks lack touch and pen inputs. 16GB RAM, 2TB storage and M1 are way overkill for just iPadOS. Plus, Tim Cook has never grinned so creepily for any other iPad release. It's coming.

Is that Emperor Palpatine’s grin pasted in?

I could possibly see macOS apps running on iPad Pro, but even then, they’d only be selected apps. Surely Adobe’s macOS apps would not be permitted to run on iPad, because they’ve already developed native iPad versions.

I think it more likely that Apple are readying the release of FinalCut and Logic for iPadOS.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

I think you'll be disappointed... Still, something like a desktop mode (still iPadOS, no MacOS) on external displays just for M1 iPads could make use of that RAM.

Reactions: Duckyduckbumps

Mt44

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014

No signs point to it.

MacOS is never coming to the iPad.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
I went with 12.9 1TB. I need the extra storage for video editing. The 16 gigs of RAM is a bonus, and I think it will help speed up rendering above and beyond the speed bump from the M1 alone. I believe by the end of the year there will be several apps I use or will consider using that will benefit from the extra RAM. I don’t believe Apple put that in there without a pretty good idea that app developers will utilize it.

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I went with 12.9 1TB. I need the extra storage for video editing. The 16 gigs of RAM is a bonus, and I think it will help speed up rendering above and beyond the speed bump from the M1 alone. I believe by the end of the year there will be several apps I use or will consider using that will benefit from the extra RAM. I don’t believe Apple put that in there without a pretty good idea that app developers will utilize it.
I don’t need the storage as much as I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the extra RAM will be put to good use. Though I suppose if the “pro” apps. ever get off the ground, then a good sized internal storage would be nice. It will be interesting to see if a future iOS will have a filing system that could make use of external storage on the iPP a great benefit. Honestly, I have not tried external storage on my new iPP 2021, or even my previous 2018 iPP. So, I could be making wrong assumptions about the overall benefits of large internal or external storage. Just speculating. So be kind fellow iPad lovers :)

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
I don’t need the storage as much as I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the extra RAM will be put to good use. Though I suppose if the “pro” apps. ever get off the ground, then a good sized internal storage would be nice. It will be interesting to see if a future iOS will have a filing system that could make use of external storage on the iPP a great benefit. Honestly, I have not tried external storage on my new iPP 2021, or even my previous 2018 iPP. So, I could be making wrong assumptions about the overall benefits of large internal or external storage. Just speculating. So be kind fellow iPad lovers :)
I use external SSDs and could probably be fine with 512GBs, but went ahead with the 1TB for twice the RAM.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Is that Emperor Palpatine’s grin pasted in?

I could possibly see macOS apps running on iPad Pro, but even then, they’d only be selected apps. Surely Adobe’s macOS apps would not be permitted to run on iPad, because they’ve already developed native iPad versions.

I think it more likely that Apple are readying the release of FinalCut and Logic for iPadOS.
I disagree, I think we will see the full Adobe Suite on the iPad pro. Yes adobe already has native iPad apps and I think they will always have a spot for non M1 iPads or for people that dont want to pay the Adobe subscription.

Adobe pushed out the M1 Photoshop app in a few weeks (Ive used Adobe for 10 years now and never saw them push out a new native app that fast before) and they are currently beta testing Illustrator and rumor is Premiere is next. I think we are going to see the full Adobe Suite on the M1 iPad pros. I mean look at the Surface, a lot of people go with the Surface for the nice touch screen to draw on in Photoshop and Illustrator; Apple wants to steal that spotlight from Microsoft.

aacemyan

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
TX
While i would love the 16gb of ram, I only tend to use about 64 gigs of storage on my iPads (most of my stuff is in the cloud). I just can’t justify spending $700 for the potential of gaining a second of time here and there from app reloads or marginally faster photo editing, etc.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I did.

Editing 5.4K video, editing 50MP RAW files in photos, etc.

Unfortunately, some serious limitations will prevent me from using my iPad as the sole editing device; but those are entirely software limitations right now. But it’s still going to be used as an editing device quite a bit. So a lot of storage and a lot of RAM are both necessary parts.

I also plan to own this iPad for several years; I have for all my previous iPads. (This being the 4th one I’ve owned in 11 years) 16GB of RAM may remove a barrier to future software; and it’s not something that can be upgraded down the road.

Duckyduckbumps

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2017
I did.

Editing 5.4K video, editing 50MP RAW files in photos, etc.

Unfortunately, some serious limitations will prevent me from using my iPad as the sole editing device; but those are entirely software limitations right now. But it’s still going to be used as an editing device quite a bit. So a lot of storage and a lot of RAM are both necessary parts.

I also plan to own this iPad for several years; I have for all my previous iPads. (This being the 4th one I’ve owned in 11 years) 16GB of RAM may remove a barrier to future software; and it’s not something that can be upgraded down the road.
Do you use LumaFusion? I’m an illustrator, but I have used LumaFusion for smaller projects and love using it.

Do you think Final Cut Pro will come to iPadOS?

Reactions: Momof9

Duckyduckbumps

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2017
I disagree, I think we will see the full Adobe Suite on the iPad pro. Yes adobe already has native iPad apps and I think they will always have a spot for non M1 iPads or for people that dont want to pay the Adobe subscription.

Adobe pushed out the M1 Photoshop app in a few weeks (Ive used Adobe for 10 years now and never saw them push out a new native app that fast before) and they are currently beta testing Illustrator and rumor is Premiere is next. I think we are going to see the full Adobe Suite on the M1 iPad pros. I mean look at the Surface, a lot of people go with the Surface for the nice touch screen to draw on in Photoshop and Illustrator; Apple wants to steal that spotlight from Microsoft.
As an illustrator, I’ve considered the Surface, but the Pen’s lack of responsiveness has always been a dealbreaker. (Initial Activation Force is too high).

I used two generations of Wacom Cintiq Companion, and although the drawing experience was excellent, I found them to be too compromised. They could run the full Adobe Suite, but those applications are only really comfortable to use on the desktop.

How do you envision full Adobe apps running on the iPad? I mean, sitting down at a desk attached to a keyboard they could be bearable. The UI elements would take up a lot of screen real estate. Support for display extension could make it work.

Reactions: Momof9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.