Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I thought I read something not too long ago about Apple signing iOS 6 for older devices again. Is that not a thing anymore?

Edit: Here's a video from May explaining the process.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I thought I read something not too long ago about Apple signing iOS 6 for older devices again. Is that not a thing anymore?

Edit: Here's a video from May explaining the process.

Yes, it happened, but then it stopped. However, it wasn't as simple as it should have been because I failed to complete the downgrade when I tried on my iPad 2. I didn't care that much though since I gave it away.

For that iPad 2 during the iOS 9 era, for a time they were specifically signing 6.1.3. I don't remember the specifics for the iPhones. However, IMO, the sweet spot for that model was iOS 7. Maybe 6.1.3 was chosen because it would be better with stuff like the iPhone 4, even though the iPhone 4 could support iOS 7.

EDIT:

I just watched the beginning of that video. It says it requires 3rd party software. What I'm talking about was that the iPad 2 was supposed to be able to be downgraded to 6.1.3 without 3rd party software because Apple had turned on 6.1.3 signing (for this device at least) for whatever reason.

Last edited:

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I went ahead and did this! I activated my iPhone 4S and will replace my SE2020 for at least a few days. I have already run into a couple of issues. For example, iMessage doesn't seem to work yet SMS does... also there is no functioning weather app. Even going to the gym was a hassle as I can't download the gym app (24go) as iOS6.1.3 doesn't allow for it. I had to use my iPod Touch and get the gym's WIFI working on it and then download the app. Hassle! Otherwise, kind of nice not always looking at the phone out of habit.

IMG_0003.PNG

IMG_0004.PNG

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Otherwise, kind of nice not always looking at the phone out of habit.
This one's never been an issue for me. I only check my phone when I actually need it for something. I even have all notifications disabled except for iMessage and banking stuff.

Weekends, battery's frequently at risk of going empty since I often just leave the phone in my purse. I don't need to charge at home on weekdays since the phone's usually on the wireless charging dock at the office almost the entire work shift.

Julienne

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Texas
I went ahead and did this! I activated my iPhone 4S and will replace my SE2020 for at least a few days. I have already run into a couple of issues. For example, iMessage doesn't seem to work yet SMS does... also there is no functioning weather app. Even going to the gym was a hassle as I can't download the gym app (24go) as iOS6.1.3 doesn't allow for it. I had to use my iPod Touch and get the gym's WIFI working on it and then download the app. Hassle! Otherwise, kind of nice not always looking at the phone out of habit.

View attachment 954911

View attachment 954913
Miss those iOS 6 days.

Reactions: braddick

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I fire up my wifes old SE to play with iOS 14 occasionally and a 5S. I do have a 4 that I will on occasion take a look at but most recently aquired an old ipod touch running iOS 6 I believe and that is a thing of nostalgia and beauty. It takes me back to when I had my first iPhone and was just starting to learn iOS. It was a classic OS.

I would however find it rather challenging to actually use day to day with the apps that I use.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
I still have a 4S in its box kept on 6.1.3 with Flappy Bird installed. I once changed the battery and I maintain a charge cycle per a few months on it. Have a 3GS with iOS 4 also.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

View attachment 954911

View attachment 954913

If you want a project for the weekend, get a computer that boots natively in MS DOS and use the approach above. :)

• Wow
Reactions: braddick

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
As someone who owns a working 4s that I fire up occasionally just for funsies, I can emphatically answer NO. No, I do not.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you want a project for the weekend, get a computer that boots natively in MS DOS and use the approach above. :)
Ugh. We have Windows 98 computers at the office to operate old equipment. I can check all the unread email on my phone before that one finishes booting.

• Haha
Reactions: EM2013

Fusionskies

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
United Kingdom
To answer the question, yes I would love to reminisce, and go back to the 2010 days of iOS, just for a little while.
I say a little while because as much as I love the 'golden' years of the iPhone (imo 2007-2012), there are too many things I would miss from the capability of today's devices.

Fortunately for me, I rolled my 4S back to iOS 6 before Apple stopped signing the firmware, although I wish there was another way to downgrade without dual booting, as I have plenty of older iPhones I would like to revert back to their original firmware.

I did have a white 3GS on iOS 4 at one point, but I was reluctantly forced to update to iOS 6 because of a restore issue
:(

Reactions: Julienne

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Day two of this experiment and I found using Apple Maps slow although the 4S (unlike the 4) does offer turn-by-turn navigation.
Texting is enjoyable and easy along with being quick. Holding the iPhone for a phone call feels silly though, it is so small. Using the music app at the gym- no problem. Even the bluetooth works well.

Reactions: Julienne

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Absolutely not. Period. Ever.

Because I did that a couple years ago in between phones and it was excruciatingly, frustratingly, mind-numbing lay slow and laggy and made me want to smash it on the ground.

I’d like to take my life back to a simpler time then, sure. But technology-wise, yeah I’m good right where we are. ?

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017

View attachment 954911

View attachment 954913
Isn’t that a screenshot from macOS Big Sur? ?

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
In all seriousness, I used a 2017 SE whilst my XR was being fixed - and it was terrible.

I’d even owned and used a 5S for 3 years in 2013-2016 (and prior to that, a 4s and a 3s).

The screen felt cramped and it was so slow. The speaker was tinny. The haptics were cruder than I remember. Without the white point adjustment even the small screen felt too garish. Safari constantly reloaded pages and you could feel the processor strain to render them.

And I too feel nostalgic about having a phone that you could barely feel in your pocket and that soeent

But you just can’t go back.

Our phones and apps are way more powerful than even in 2017 and they really are pocket computers now. And that’s how we use them.

I think once you’ve used a more powerful iPhone it’s like a Pandora’s box. You can’t unopen it.

I’m perfectly happy with my XR but I’m sure there are many of you iPhone Pro users out there who pity me slightly (I have PWM issues and the 11 isn’t much of an upgrade over the XR!).

You just can’t go back.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
obviously the processing demands of the modern web and apps precludes being able to realistically use a 4S at this point, but the asethetics and ergonomics of that device will forever be my favourite iphone experience. i'm hoping the 5.4" iphone might offer some small taste of that for those of us that miss 4s era form factors!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.