Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legion103

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
With the news today that iOS 16.1 will drop next Monday (10.24.22) --and it seems that the Savings Account will launch then -- who plans on opening one?

If so, will you be using this as your primary savings account? If not, how much do you plan on transferring (if any)? - or will you use it just for your daily cash?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
With the news today that iOS 16.1 will drop next Monday (10.24.22) --and it seems that the Savings Account will launch then -- who plans on opening one?

If so, will you be using this as your primary savings account? If not, how much do you plan on transferring (if any)? - or will you use it just for your daily cash?
From what I read on Apple’s newsroom I think a lot of people are interpreting this savings account wrong. Apple constantly references it as a savings account for your Daily Cash so I doubt they will allow you to transfer outside funds from other accounts into it.

Apple Cash is currently handled by another company unlike Apple Card who is Goldman Sachs. Apple is either using this as way for Goldman to have more control over users banking, possibly something that was agreed upon prior to the Apple Card, or it’s a way to cut down on transfer fees on the backend. Regardless, it’s a straight up banking move disguised as a consumer benefit.

Reactions: 0128672

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
From what I read on Apple’s newsroom I think a lot of people are interpreting this savings account wrong. Apple constantly references it as a savings account for your Daily Cash so I doubt they will allow you to transfer outside funds from other accounts into it.
According to the same newsroom article, you can link external accounts for transfers:

"To expand Savings even further, users can also deposit additional funds into their Savings account through a linked bank account, or from their Apple Cash balance. Users can also withdraw funds at any time by transferring them to a linked bank account or to their Apple Cash card, with no fees."

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Definitely depends on the rate offered. The convenience of linked checking / savings, with a simple transfer function in the bank app, currently overrides any rate benefits of having those in separate banks.

Still, my understanding of a money market fund is that banks use it to offload money into the reverse repo system and make back some difference while a checking account is a straight up liability to the bank (asset to you).

I’m inclined to keep most funds in the checking account. Still thinking about that….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.