Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I don't have one of those. How does it work?

It's for people like me that aren't the world's best fliers. I can dock but a computer can just get me in faster, if you are skilful though you can beat a DC hands down.

Basically when you are in range of a Station and request a dock, you slow to a stop and then the computer takes over to bring you in to land. Little caveat is that the letterbox on a station has to be in visible range, so that means you might have to circle around if you have dropped out of FSD behind the station.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's for people like me that aren't the world's best fliers. I can dock but a computer can just get me in faster, if you are skilful though you can beat a DC hands down.

Basically when you are in range of a Station and request a dock, you slow to a stop and then the computer takes over to bring you in to land. Little caveat is that the letterbox on a station has to be in visible range, so that means you might have to circle around if you have dropped out of FSD behind the station.

This sounds realistic to me when I imagine the future. But they really expect you to fly from point A to B manually?? :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As a previous poster mentioned, it's not out yet. But because you bought the Windows version you will be getting the Mac version for free.

Hopefully the Beta will be out soonish, and I'm definitely going to run it and help out with the bug testing.

----------

What's your MBP spec? Considering it's a brand new game I have been pleasantly surprised at how low the system requirements are for ED. On my iMac with M295X I can run it at 2560*1440, no AA, all other settings to max and get 60fps in space (Vsync locked so that would be the maximum anyway) and 40fps inside Space Stations.

I think that's pretty darn good for mobile GPU.

Good to know, like Steam or many MMOs.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Is this fact? I was trying to decide whether to buy the Windows version and bootcamp, or wait for OS X version.

Yep, 100%. FD has stated this on many occasions. eg from their newsletter #48:-

Everyone who has bought or who will buy Elite: Dangerous will be able to download either, or both, PC and Mac versions as and when they each become available for no additional charge.

So if they went back on this now it would cause so much controversy it wouldn't bare thinking about.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Yep, 100%. FD has stated this on many occasions. eg from their newsletter #48:-

Everyone who has bought or who will buy Elite: Dangerous will be able to download either, or both, PC and Mac versions as and when they each become available for no additional charge.

So if they went back on this now it would cause so much controversy it wouldn't bare thinking about.

Awesome, will be parting with some cash in about 2 minutes then :) Thanks for confirming.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Awesome, will be parting with some cash in about 2 minutes then :) Thanks for confirming.

Enjoy. Don't forget to help us test the Mac beta.

A little tip for you. To earn your first few credits don't try trading in your Sidewinder, go bounty hunting. Once you get a bit of money under your belt you can choose to stick with bounty hunting, try trading, sail off into the black yonder as an explorer or even a pirate [arrrr].

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Enjoy. Don't forget to help us test the Mac beta.

A little tip for you. To earn your first few credits don't try trading in your Sidewinder, go bounty hunting. Once you get a bit of money under your belt you can choose to stick with bounty hunting, try trading, sail off into the black yonder as an explorer or even a pirate [arrrr].

I'll reconfirm that Bounty Hunting is the only viable path forward without excessive grind until you can afford a type 6 hauler (imo) with the caveat you have some flying skills.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
today is 3 months since the windows version... where is the osx version?

It's coming, although it's not available to public test yet. They have mentioned it several times in recent newsletters. I'm looking forward to it and will help test, hopefully you will join me.

In the meantime I'm saving up for an Anaconda...I think. I have recently started considering a career in exploring.

If you own the PC version you get the OS X version for free.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
Official announcement if anybody is interested:- https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=128851

Thanks for the update.

We don’t have a minimum spec as yet, however here are the recommended specs for the Mac beta based upon our development machines:

27-inch iMac (Purchased in 2015 - Current Line)
3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
8GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB video memory / AMD Radeon R9 M290X with 2GB video memory
Mac OS 10.10.x (10.10.03 rec)

As with the PC beta there are a number of optimisations planned so the final minimum spec is expected to be lower than this.

Let's hope they manage to bring the requirements down a little bit. Otherwise our "integrated-GPU-is-good-enough-fraction" might get a little bit grumpy. :)

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Thanks for the update.

We don’t have a minimum spec as yet, however here are the recommended specs for the Mac beta based upon our development machines:

27-inch iMac (Purchased in 2015 - Current Line)
3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
8GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB video memory / AMD Radeon R9 M290X with 2GB video memory
Mac OS 10.10.x (10.10.03 rec)

As with the PC beta there are a number of optimisations planned so the final minimum spec is expected to be lower than this.

Let's hope they manage to bring the requirements down a little bit. Otherwise our "integrated-GPU-is-good-enough-fraction" might get a little bit grumpy. :)

Yeah, don't stress about that at this point. Same thing happened with the Windows beta, really high minimum specs at first and then they dropped as they managed to optimise the game.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
I'm looking forward to testing this next week. Hopefully my 2011 Mac Mini i5 is a bit more capable then the i3 laptop I'm playing with now. :cool:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I'm looking forward to testing this next week. Hopefully my 2011 Mac Mini i5 is a bit more capable then the i3 laptop I'm playing with now. :cool:

Don't forget the initial minimum specs are quite high before they fully optimise it for OS X.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines!

The Mac OS X client has gone live. You find it in the "My Downloadable Products" section of the Elite Dangerous store. Godspeed.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines!

The Mac OS X client has gone live. You find it in the "My Downloadable Products" section of the Elite Dangerous store. Godspeed.

Ok I bought the windows version a month or so ago, so how do I get the mac beta? Can't see it anywhere.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Ok so because I didn't beta test the windows version, I can't beta test the Mac version. Seems very stupid.

It's unfortunate but FD has said that all along. One of the benefits sold on the early access packages was that you had access to Betas.

We will test it out to get it running nice and fast for you.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
Ok I bought the windows version a month or so ago, so how do I get the mac beta? Can't see it anywhere.

This is what I see in my account:

Attachments

• Elite-Premium-Beta-Download.png
    Elite-Premium-Beta-Download.png
    21 KB · Views: 158
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.