Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Whoa. Did you do this? If so, how did you get it so there are no icons on the screen itself? I was thinking, from playing with my iPhone that you always had to have at least one icon on a screen or it disappeared. What you show is exactly what I want.

Only empty tail screens disappear.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Whoa. Did you do this? If so, how did you get it so there are no icons on the screen itself? I was thinking, from playing with my iPhone that you always had to have at least one icon on a screen or it disappeared. What you show is exactly what I want.

Im fairly sure the iPad only has 6 installed apps, so they are all down on the Dock, thus creating a page with nothing on, as it has to have atleast one page.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Im fairly sure the iPad only has 6 installed apps, so they are all down on the Dock, thus creating a page with nothing on, as it has to have atleast one page.

I've got the simulator in front of me. I have one dock item, zero springboard items on page 0, and 2 on page 1.

Like I said, only empty tail pages are removed. Empty head pages are left alone.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I've got the simulator in front of me. I have one dock item, zero springboard items on page 0, and 2 on page 1.

Like I said, only empty tail pages are removed. Empty head pages are left alone.

Yeah, and if you add more apps, you can fit 4x5 + 6 or 5x4 + 6 depending on orientation

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I absolutely despise the forced layout on the iPhone (and upcoming iPad). This is part of the reason I JB, so I could use Iconoclasm. It bugs me because not only can you not have a free form layout, but any icon you move shifts all the other icons around.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
i like the space personally but I would imagine this will change before the ipad is shipped, the extra screen estate could easily handle some other form, folders or something like that

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I love it.

Wish the iphone would drop a row actually, do a 3x4 setup. A full iphone screen is just too nuts.

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I love it.

Wish the iphone would drop a row actually, do a 3x4 setup. A full iphone screen is just too nuts.

Jailbreak

Once you jailbreak, if you can think of it, its already been done and there will be an app or mod for it, im fairly sure that you can do this on a iPhone, personally, i haave a 5x4 layout, with a 5 icon dock, as i like all of my apps together.

:apple:Mike

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Jailbreak

Once you jailbreak, if you can think of it, its already been done and there will be an app or mod for it, im fairly sure that you can do this on a iPhone, personally, i haave a 5x4 layout, with a 5 icon dock, as i like all of my apps together.

:apple:Mike

Not one for jailbreaking here. I'm one that likes the tidy little apple ecosystem and living in it.

Astro8973

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
I have a feeling that iPhone OS 3.2 isn't what the iPad is meant for. It seems to me that apple is shipping this version because 4.0 like won't come out until June. I think 4.0 will bring the real iPad homescreen.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Apple could have been A LOT more innovative here. I was so disappointed when I saw the same old homescreen.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I honestly think and really hope that Apple is simply using a fork of iPhone 3.0 just to have some base OS on the iPad and ship it out while starting a brand new branch of the iPhone OS that'll take full advantage of the iPad but it could take a year or two to complete it.

It is kind of like how iPhone really didn't take off until the App Store in iPhone OS 2.0 and the copy/paste in 3.0.

It is possible that the iPhone 4.0 will have a brand new Springboard for both iPhone and iPad. Maybe Dock Stacks will be included, similar to the App folder stack on OS X's dock.

I don't even use pages anymore because it takes too long to swipe 10 page, I just use Spotlight instead to find my applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.