Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
I Love my 7.1 it does all i need, 6900xt plus 4090. I can boot windows direct, no VM needed. its been rock stable and its an engineering master piece to upgrade plus eye candy to look at. will keep mine for a very long time like the 5.1 i still use and enjoy.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
Love mine. Bought a middle spec machine and upgraded with Afterburner, RX 6800XT, aftermarket RAM and 16TB of NVME storage. I even got some wheels for cheap off Amazon. It never crashes and plows through my work.

To me, it doesn't last until the 8.1 comes out. It lasts as long as I can use it. I would even be happy if the Apple Silicon version came out a year ago, none of it detracts from what mine can do.
Sounds great....I would like to know what version of macOS you are currently running?

Reactions: SDAVE

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I am running ventura on mine, the previous owner had installed a clean copy and I was too impatient to try and wipe it, to install monterey, so i just upgraded my software and got used to it... no complaints now.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I am running ventura on mine, the previous owner had installed a clean copy and I was too impatient to try and wipe it, to install monterey, so i just upgraded my software and got used to it... no complaints now.

Sys prefs in Ventura is blended puke smoothie for an otherwise unimpressive and boring update.

ivion

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2019
You got a nice monitor arm, what brand is it?
Thank you, I got the recommendation through another MacRumors forum member.

It is the Mantis 20 Post Mount (with M12 Through Desk / 100 x 100).

For sale in North America:

For sale in the UK / Europe (seems their consumer store is down though):

In short:
- It goes incredibly well with Apple Monitors. The Mantis 20 is more than strong enough for the XDR Display (you don't need the Mantis 30) and the through desk mount is very clean and stable.
- Downside compared to XDR Pro Stand (which I actually bought 3 times, but liked the Mantis 20 better): No weighted adjustment mechanism; You have to adjust the counterweight yourself.

Reactions: rylim

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I Love my 7.1 it does all i need, 6900xt plus 4090. I can boot windows direct, no VM needed. its been rock stable and its an engineering master piece to upgrade plus eye candy to look at. will keep mine for a very long time like the 5.1 i still use and enjoy.

was there an eventual solution to having the 4090 installed while booted into macOS that was compatible with sleep etc?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
As i use a separate PSU i turn the 4090 off in Mac OSX so have no issues with sleep.
Ahh OK, so the system doesn't freak from having an unpowered "inert" GPU sitting in the slot? Like it doesn't get *some* power from the slot and cause issues?

I wonder if there'd ever be scope for a PCI mounted secondary power supply, or a nice PCI-slot-cover plug socket to connect between the internal power cabling and to an external psu to suit that sort of user case, like we do with the external bluetooth aerials on cMPs...

Last edited:

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
I really enjoy my 7,1 and look forward to keep upgrading it for many years. In my experience no other computer is as reliable. Hypothetically If I'd have to choose a computer tasked for a open heart surgery or to fly a plane I wouldn't pick any other one. The Mac Pro just gets things done. No performance per watt drama, no portable processor constraints, no bull$hit.

Last edited:

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Very Happy, as I was with my previous cMP 5,1 and all my Macs before it. However the NcMP 7,1 is really another class of machine. It's elegant and easy to upgrade design is GREAT IMHO👍🏻 I LUV it💘
Agreed, its a worthy successor to the 5,1 , its just a shame that the price has kept it out of the hands of so many who like this form factor, until close to the point where an 8,1 may be released. But I like mine and hope its supported for several years to come

Reactions: prefuse07

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Agreed, its a worthy successor to the 5,1 , its just a shame that the price has kept it out of the hands of so many who like this form factor, until close to the point where an 8,1 may be released. But I like mine and hope its supported for several years to come
As much as I like my 7,1 I cannot see the point of continuing with the form factor unless Apple can include some upgradeability into the 8,1. Otherwise we may as well just have M2 mac studios. But surely apple would be thinking along the same lines, we just dont know which way they jumped.... yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.