Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15/Pro/Max?

• Yes

Votes: 552 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 425 33.5%
  • Unsure and/or depends on features offered

Votes: 293 23.1%

• Total voters

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I know it’s early to ask this question, but I am interested to see what everyone is planning on so far. Some people upgrade every year, some people might be holding on to a much older iPhone but are holding out to finally upgrade this generation, or maybe there’s a specific feature some people have been waiting on.

Rumored features (some may be Pro-only):
  • USB-C
  • Action button replacing mute switch
  • Periscope camera lens (5-6x zoom) on Pro Max model
  • A17 - First 3nm Apple chip
  • 6GB RAM, possibly 8GB on higher storage models
  • WiFi 6E
  • Qualcomm X70 modem
  • Titanium frame with more rounded edges
  • Slightly smaller body with same screen size
  • Smallest bezels of any phone
  • Red or blue color
  • Higher price
  • Qi2 wireless charging standard
  • Dynamic Island on all devices
  • Increased battery life
    • Bigger battery sizes
    • More efficient LiDAR scanner
    • More efficient display driver
    • A17 Chip - up to 30% more efficient (already listed above)
    • Qualcomm X70 - more efficient (already listed above)
On the other end, iPhone upgrades have never been so incremental, and it’s financially and environmentally smarter to hold on to your perfectly functioning iPhone now.

So, as of right now, are you planning on upgrading to the iPhone 15 series? Why or why not?

Edited 8/14/2023 due to updated rumors.

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I know it’s early to ask this question, but I am interested to see what everyone is planning on so far. Some people upgrade every year, some people might be holding on to a much older iPhone but are holding out to finally upgrade this generation, or maybe there’s a specific feature some people have been waiting on.

Rumored features (some may be Pro-only):
  • USB-C
  • Action button replacing mute switch
  • Periscope camera lens (5-6x zoom)
  • A17 - First 3nm Apple chip
  • 8GB RAM
  • WiFi 6E
  • Qualcomm X70
  • Titanium frame with more rounded edges
  • Slightly smaller body with same screen size
  • Smallest bezels of any phone
  • Red color
  • Higher price
On the other end, iPhone upgrades have never been so incremental, and it’s financially and environmentally smarter to hold on to your perfectly functioning iPhone now.

So, as of right now, are you planning on upgrading to the iPhone 15 series? Why or why not?

I’m not upgrading this year, due to I have important things taking place this year. In September, I plan to start putting money aside to upgrade my 14PM to the 16PM. My 14PM has been great and I have no complaints. I even didn’t jailbreak this one so I’m a happy customer.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
I’m happy with my 14 pro, it gave me the upgrades I wanted from my 12 (promotion, better ram and heat management, massively improved brightness, telephoto, 48mp etc) none of the 15 pro rumoured upgrades speak to me. I will keep this for minimum till the 16 pro.

Will still enjoy watching the 15 event and following all the reviews, nice to know whatever I get in the future will be all of those upgrades plus more.

Last edited:

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I’ll upgrade my phone and the wife’s to the 14 most likely. Our Telus contract is up in August and it’s either pay $290 for each iPhone 12 at the end of the contract or bring them back and upgrade. Usually they have a back to school promo so should be able to get the 14 for $15 a month per phone besides our monthly plan.

Reactions: dignity02health

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My wife and I have the 11 Pro Max. We got them new on EIP in February 2021 and it has now been two and a half months since both phones were fully paid off.

I don't chase promos and I fully expect at minimum another two years with this phone. So, perhaps the iPhone 17 Pro Max?

In any case, if the 14 series is the last flat-sided phone, when we do upgrade, it will be the 14 series. The 11PM is round sided and between the 6+ I traded in, my 6s+, my Pixel 3a XL and this 11PM, I've had my fill of round-sided phones.

Anson_431

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Using the 13 Pro and with the feature rumors…… the case design change is interesting but isn’t a big enough factor to upgrade to the 15 lineup I feel.

Yes it’s going to be newer, more powerful and better photography, but upgrading that soon felt quite wasteful when the 13 Pro is still running fine.

The only way I’d see myself upgrading would probably for the 15 Pro Max but the improvements……. It felt unlikely.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Attachments

• IMG_0194.png
    IMG_0194.png
    389.3 KB · Views: 483

EllZ89

macrumors member
May 15, 2019
Yes.

the resell price for my 14 PM plus the discount I can get on Apple hardware means im in pocket after selling the old phone and buying the new.

Reactions: Brad7 and Kris28

NoelWalker

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2021
Yes. I upgraded to my current 13 mini from 11 because I wanted the smaller form factor. But now I have realised I miss the larger screen estate and bigger battery more than its size. So I’m gonna upgrade to 15 Pro. Better camera is a bonus feature anyway ;)

tisabmw

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
SF Bay Area
13 Pro Max has been great. I will get 15 if a ZVE 15 Pro Max wallet case is available. I haven’t carried a separate wallet for over 7 years. It also depends if the telephoto lens is really more than the 3x on 14 Pro Max.

Reactions: Lcgiv

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
My theory is they’ll just switch to 48MP for the telephoto lens to enable 6x optical zoom maintaining a 76 mm 3x sensor. They already did it with the main camera, enabling optical 2x zoom. I don’t see Apple removing the 3x camera for a 6x one. The 3x is optimal for portraits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.