Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
hey guys,

I went to a F.S. as they sell macbooks and i thought my screen had a problem but apparently all the screens are the same...

what happens for me is that colors aren't even...it's like when i have safari open, i put the window in the upper part of the screen and it looks darker than when i put it at the bottom which looks brighter (it goes from like a kind of yellowish-dark gray to white gray)

Is that a result of viewing angles??

Do you guys use the LCD color profile or is there a better one out there??? THe screen also looks washed when in leopard and bright when im in vista...weird..

Anyways, im sorry if i bug any of you....i just need some help!!

thanks

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
There have been several complaints regarding the latest MacBook screens, that they are worse than previous revisions.

But what you describe sounds, unfortunately, normal. All laptops I have owned have had the samme issue. The colors will usually look different on the upper and lower part of the screen due to different viewing angles and non-uniform brightness.

The newer LED screens are better, but Apple does not use them for MacBooks.

Some people also say the screen look different in Windows compared to Mac OS X. I guess it is because they are two different OS's, using different settings and drivers for the screen.

Etrain

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Land of Cleve
Unfortunately it seems that is one of the downfalls of the MB compared to the MBP. The differences between the two are pretty minor performance wise, so Apple had to distinguish between them somehow. It seems the real benefits of the MBP are the screen quality, improved graphics, and larger screen size.

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2007
The screen display on my MacBook (C2D, 2.16 GHz, Aug 07) is equally not great but only in Leopard.
I have a number of Linux OSes also on this machine and the quality of the display is significantly better in all of these than it is in OS X.
However, for really good display quality you can't beat an old CRT screen. Really sharp display with no viewing angle problems.

caktusaurus

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2007
Although this is present to some degree on most laptops, the MacBook stands out by having a really bad screen - especially for its price. Comparison has led me to believe that the displays have gotten worse since the older MacBook revisions (Core Duo).

The issues you describe are caused by
  1. Poor viewing angles - all LCD displays have restricted viewing angles, but this display has one of the worst vertical viewing angles I've ever seen in a laptop.
  2. Backlight bleeding - there's a significant bleed from the backlight at the bottom of the screen, making it a lot brighter than the top. This is caused by low panel quality and/or poor assembly.

To answer your question: no, I was not satisfied with my MB screen and therefore I returned it (thrice actually, two times because of the screen and the third because of improperly assembled case). I'm sad to say that I'll not be buying another Apple computer until they shape up.

As for color profiles, you could definitely improve the image by using a custom made one (search the forums). The original OS X profiles aren't good. It will not, however, fix the unevenness since that is a hardware issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.