Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wifiuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
You should really stop calling it a "fix." Many people have been adjusting the same settings on their routers since day one and still have issues. Lumping all the methods that have been used so far into a single post doesn't constitute a fix.

You are correct. I have not come up with the all perfect fix so from now on I will call it a work-around, and i certainly didn't come up with it alone. I used the suggestions/advice i have learned on this and other forums and a tip from a tech at Cisco to come up with my/our "work-around". Also, I have not seen any other post on any forum that has suggested a hard reset on the router and reconfiguring the router manually without reinstalling a backup .bin configuration. I can't fix the iPad but I can offer a work around that people haven't tried yet. It's not just doing the individual tips others have given but doing the tips in a particular order. I am just a contributor to a solution and do not have the definitive one (Apple needs to come up with that one). However, I am confident that if you are experiencing a wifi issue and you follow my steps in the order in which I have suggested, your issue will be resolved (at least the networks you are in control of).

I whole heartedly agree that this is an issue that Apple needs to resolve very quickly, because i believe that at least half of the people using the iPad, are not that knowledgable when it comes to networking nor should they have to be. Apple products exist, to make our lives simpler and more fun and in the case of the iPad, they have succeeded but with a few setbacks.

I collaborated with others that are as network savvy as I am or better (including those people from the forums), and have came up with this "work around".

So let the record show, I am not taking credit for the tips of others, I just consider myself an integrator "so to speak". LOL. An intelligent person knows he doesn't necessarily know all the answers, but at least he is smart enough to know where to get them.

a2rob

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
I agree, this has to be corrected. I am five feet away from my router and it will disconnect and I will have to dismiss. Same as in Starbuck...

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I've had weak wifi connectivity in areas where my iPhone gets a perfect wifi signal. And after updating my router firmware (something I haven't done in over 2 years), my ipad's connectivity is restored. So thanks for posting this! It has worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.