Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
So after believing all my devices were updated to 16.2 for a few weeks now, I went to toggle on the new Advanced Data Protection feature in iCloud. I manually went into the Home app and watched each and every HomePod go through the update process, one at a time. This takes me hours and confirmed via the Home app.

Low and behold, according to my iCloud account and list of devices in settings, five of my HomePods are not running 16.2. Matter of fact, one of them is showing on 16.0 still. The Advanced Data Protection feature warned me of this and will not turn on until this has been corrected.

Now, I’m not even sure which is showing the correct software version, the Home app or the iCloud settings. I’m not getting prompted to update any HomePods in the Home app. Also, I’m not on the new HomeKit architecture as it was pulled before I had a chance to try to update it.

Thoughts? Should I try signing out and back into iCloud (which is a huge PITA with all my wallet stuff) or try hooking up my HomePods to the Mac and refreshing the software update? Problem is, one of the HomePods showing on older software is an OG and don’t know how to connect it to the Mac with the standard AC plug.

1673727735696.png

1673727807461.png

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
That is a very bizarre mismatch for sure!

Just checked all the HomeKit hardware and can confirm that they are all running on 16.2

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
That is a very bizarre mismatch for sure!

Just checked all the HomeKit hardware and can confirm that they are all running on 16.2
Yeah this is definitely a head scratcher. Rebooting my phone and each HomePod didn’t fix this so I went with factory resetting the HomePods in question. This seems to have corrected the issue and now showing the correct software version in iCloud.

Since I wasn’t prompted to update, this means that iCloud is pulling the info from the iCloud device list and not actually getting the current version from the device.

Now a new issue. All the HomePods are stuck on configuring lol 🤦‍♂.

These things are the bane of my existence. They make me wanna crack them over my head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.