Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you using True Tone on your XS Max?

• Yep, sure am

Votes: 72 61.5%
  • Nope, no chance

Votes: 45 38.5%

• Total voters

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I find it makes my screen too yellow compared to my old 8 Plus and iPad 10.5 Pro.

Without it my screen doesn't suffer from any yellowness and is a coolish white, so I've disabled it

Reactions: iObama

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
I used it on my X so I'll be using it on my Xs Max. I find that it makes strain on my eyes easier, I am not into the blue tint without True Tone. I use it on my 10.5 iPad as well.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
trust me, as weird as yellow tint sounds, its better for your eyes in the long run. blue/white light will make your eyes strain a lot it will become blatantly obvious in a matter of days. The only time i turn off the warm tint on my actual computer monitor is when i'm editing photographs and need 100% color accuracy and hence the warm tint is null at that point in time.

but for me iphones they are more of a consuming/business device to communicate and likes... not to edit photos like a pro. so its okay for me to leave True Tone on

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
trust me, as weird as yellow tint sounds, its better for your eyes in the long run. blue/white light will make your eyes strain a lot it will become blatantly obvious in a matter of days. The only time i turn off the warm tint on my actual computer monitor is when i'm editing photographs and need 100% color accuracy and hence the warm tint is null at that point in time.

but for me iphones they are more of a consuming/business device to communicate and likes... not to edit photos like a pro. so its okay for me to leave True Tone on

As Bright and Stark as Apple displays are, I actually really do like the concept of true tone. I know others don’t prefer the yellowish tone, but over the course of time, especially when viewing at night, it does make less strain on your eyes. Really the Whole point of true tone is correcting the white point on the display based on the ambient lighting in the environment/room.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I keep it turned on. Looks fine at night. In fact all of my devices have it turned on.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
I have it turned on and it prefer it over the stark brightness and blue hue of it turned off. Plus its easier on the eyes

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I used it all the time on my previous phones. It's a little too yellow on the Max.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
I had True Tone on all the time on the X and now I have it on the X Max. I feel like I'm getting the same performance.. Not noticing any undue yellow. Most indoor lighting is kinda yellowish and the True Tone seems to reflect that in my experience.. When I turn it off, the bright blue kinda irritates my eyes..

Reactions: AJAAY and Jumpie

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
As Bright and Stark as Apple displays are, I actually really do like the concept of true tone. I know others don’t prefer the yellowish tone, but over the course of time, especially when viewing at night, it does make less strain on your eyes. Really the Whole point of true tone is correcting the white point on the display based on the ambient lighting in the environment/room.

That's the main idea, so white paper you read in your room etc, should reflect the color of the ambient lighting which is somewhat true [i have warm lightbulbs so this is accurate to apple claims to date]

praxis219

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2018
It's so gross looking that when I sell my phones I have to tell them that the screen will look normal after they turn off True Tone.

Night Shift on a schedule is a great invention though.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
This year is my first time starting to use it (in the past I would just keep it off). I'm amazed at how dynamic it is in different lighting environments. When I turn it off and see the sharp blue tint, it makes me wonder if this whole time, the blueish screen is the wrong way to look at devices.

smile1fish

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
I’ve kept it turned off on all my prior phones that had it as an option (I upgrade every year ). I turned it off the second I could on my XS max. I was curious from this thread, and just turned it on. It looks better than it did in the past, so I might try it for a while.

bsmith4832

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
North East, USA
This year is my first time starting to use it (in the past I would just keep it off). I'm amazed at how dynamic it is in different lighting environments. When I turn it off and see the sharp blue tint, it makes me wonder if this whole time, the blueish screen is the wrong way to look at devices.

I have to agree with you here.

I came from a 7 Plus (no True Tone) and thought I should give it a fighting chance before I just switched it off (even though I initially thought it looked much worse turned on). It's only been two days since I got my phone but I'm forgetting about that sharp bluish tint and seemingly it feels almost normal now. Does it strain my eyes less? I'm honestly not sure as I don't specifically notice anything. However, I plan on keeping it on since I'm sure it's helping in some way. Maybe in 6 months or something I'll turn it off and then see if I notice increased strain. For now, I'm happy with it on.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
True Tone on but I don’t use night shift unless I am up really late reading in a dark room. I don’t mind the slight tint. Mine is just slight and very uniformed. It’s even better now that I have been using it for 4 days

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.