Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
Hey guys!

I just bought a brand new AirPort Extreme today to maximize and speed up my network and just to connect more devices in my household.

But, I'm having SO much trouble setting the Extreme up with Ethernet!

I use Verizon DSL. I have an Actiontec router with wireless connectivity for wireless devices. That router is the main router that connects everything to the internet (desktop, laptops, iPhones, etc.).

Now, I have an Emachines. I installed the AirPort utility on the desktop and the installation ran fine.

But I'm stumped on how to directly connect to the Internet!

Here are the configurations I attempted:

Ethernet plugged into Actiontec from desktop
Phone line connected to Actiontec from wall
Nothing connected to Airport except for power cord and printer
(didn't work)

Ethernet plugged into Extreme from desktop
Phone line connected to Extreme from wall
Nothing connected to Actiontec
(didn't work)

Ethernet plugged into AirPort Extreme from desktop
Phone line connected to Actiontec from wall
(didn't work)

Ethernet connected from Actiontec router to AirPort Extreme
Phone line connected to Actiontec to wall
Nothing connected to desktop
(Extreme light goes green and wireless network works, but not ethernet for laptop)

I have just gotten so stumped... I gave up, and I'm looking for some quick advice.

The only other alternative I can think of is getting another Ethernet cable for the desktop... so it can all be connected this way:

Ethernet connected from Actiontec to Airport
Ethernet connected to Actiontec from desktop
Phone line connected to Actiontec from the wall
Printer USB connected to Airport

Would that above cofiguration work or am I just missing something here?

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it!

(sorry if everything sounds a bit confusing!)

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
It sounds to me like you should leave your ActionTec connected to the DSL line as your router, and then use ethernet from the ActionTec to the Airport Extreme in Bridge mode. Setting Bridge mode is the critical step to get this to work.

If your ActionTec has additional ethernet ports in it, you can plug wired devices in there. You can use your Airport Extreme for wireless or wired devices.

You can either turn off the wireless on the ActionTec, and let everything connect to the Airport Extreme (802.11b/g/n), or leave the ActionTec setup for 802.11b/g wireless, and setup the Airport Extreme for 802.11n only for maximum speeds from other 802.11n devices...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple products comes with free phone support. Call them.

Something like this should only take 10 minutes to set up properly,
however what you want to do is UNCLEAR.

My set up

Modem with G -ethernet-> Airport Extreme with N only 5ghz
..wireless.. Airport Express -ethernet-> Ethernet switch -> other computers
..wireless.. macBook Pro

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Wow you guys helped put a bunch! I finally got everything up and running flawlessly. Thank you! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.