Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummerbooker14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Georgia
I have been trying to understand how to boot xp off an external disk, but alas, no dice. as soon as i find something useful, part of it says, i won't explain because it has already been posted, and i'll be damned if another one says that again!! so then i proceed to search or it and no luck. so if thee is one soul out there who will take the time to explain this to me, then please do this. how do i modify the XP SP2 cd to allow booting from an eternal disk with NO internal partition on a mac computer,(this means no pesky fiddling on a pc becuse of my lack of one). thank you

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
drummerbooker14 said:
I have been trying to understand how to boot xp off an external disk, but alas, no dice. as soon as i find something useful, part of it says, i won't explain because it has already been posted, and i'll be damned if another one says that again!! so then i proceed to search or it and no luck. so if thee is one soul out there who will take the time to explain this to me, then please do this. how do i modify the XP SP2 cd to allow booting from an eternal disk with NO internal partition on a mac computer,(this means no pesky fiddling on a pc becuse of my lack of one). thank you

do you use firewire or usb? you prob can't use firewire since xp doens't load firewire driver that early... if you want to do usb, well, you'll have to have a 5gb partition on your internal...

that's at least current since the last time i tried... (and obviously you didn't search hard enough)

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
drummerbooker14 said:

It is possible but it is way to hard and i wouldn't even try doing it.

drummerbooker14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Georgia
i'm sorry if i was indirect. but i was asking about modifying the xp disk to allow the usb booting support, i have everything else, just not how to allow it to do so

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
drummerbooker14 said:
i do not own a pc, so, is there another way? on a mac
Get the trial of Parallels, install the XP you intend to install on the USB and voila! You are now the owner of a PC. ;)

Actually most of what's described in the link is editing text files, which the Mac can do quite readily as well. ;)

B

drummerbooker14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Georgia
alright, i still don't get it, all i need to do is get past cabsdk. how do i expand it / how do i get to be able to follow the instructions on ngine.de to do the cabarc x usbstor.in_????

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
drummerbooker14 said:
alright, i still don't get it, all i need to do is get past cabsdk. how do i expand it / how do i get to be able to follow the instructions on ngine.de to do the cabarc x usbstor.in_????
Did you change directory (cd) to the folder where you copied the usbstor.in_ file to? (e.g a folder called CAB on our desktop).

i.e.

Code:
CD %USERPROFILE%\DESKTOP\CAB
cabarc x usbstor.in_

B

drummerbooker14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Georgia
Alright, figured everything out. but one problem. with that iso, it won't let me burn it in burnatonce from parallels desktop, it says my blank CD isn't blank. so i tried burning it with roxio toast using the copy thing from the iso. now it won't let me boot from CD. it tries to boot(i think) and then proceeds to load OSX. so, i tried it with the origional. worked fine. what am i doing wrong. do i reALLy have to take out the internal like ngine.de says.

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.