Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
London
I've been running Vista for a few days, and decided it was time for some sound. I've copied the driver installer from the CD to HDD and run it to get the new folders. But running the SigmaTel installer doesn't do anything.

Running the installer from Add Hardware/Device Manager comes up with an error saying the driver installed, but the device could not start (error code 10).

Will I ever have sound in Vista? It's my only beef.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
SpookTheHamster said:
I've been running Vista for a few days, and decided it was time for some sound. I've copied the driver installer from the CD to HDD and run it to get the new folders. But running the SigmaTel installer doesn't do anything.

Running the installer from Add Hardware/Device Manager comes up with an error saying the driver installed, but the device could not start (error code 10).

Will I ever have sound in Vista? It's my only beef.
so from what i understood you tried all of the three things:

1. install directly from the disk, the most straight forward method
2. extracted driver from the disk, and run installer directly from within
3. device manager and update driver

if that's the case, try to go to device manager, remove the previous driver, and install driver again, and when they ask you where's the driver, point to the directory where you extracted the driver...

if still not work, whoop out one of the earlier mac driver cd and give it a try

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
London
Huzzah! Solved my problem.

One other thing, can you assign Window Switcher to the middle button on a Mighty Mouse? Cmd+Tab is awkward, and clicking the icon is slow.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
SpookTheHamster said:
Huzzah! Solved my problem.

One other thing, can you assign Window Switcher to the middle button on a Mighty Mouse? Cmd+Tab is awkward, and clicking the icon is slow.

as far as i know, you can't... plus, how would that even work, i mean, when you press and hold alt (oh, and i'm talking in windows terms), and press tab, the switcher shows up, and as long as you dont release alt, the windows switcher stays there, and you can press tab multiple times to switch to other windows... how would you like the middle button to work?

all i can think of is you click once, that shows up, and you move the middle button to move to diff windows and click again to select, but that, is awkward.. what if you want to use the middle button to do somethign else?)

okay.. just my thought, but to your question, not as far as i know

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
London
In OS X I click the middle button for dashboard, and I wanted something similar in Vista. I've had a poke around and I can't see anything obvious, so I'm assuming the folks at Redmond aren't quite clever enough for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.