Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nov 2023- A new version of Ark: Survival Ascended has come out with superb graphics. I was temped until I read the Steam reviews and apparently it has some issues. So I’ll hold off until reviews change. I did try the iOS version, and it looks really good, has lots of god options for game play, but, it make my iOS fan blow at full speed which I don’t want to subject me iPad too. :(

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Nov 2023- A new version of Ark: Survival Ascended has come out with superb graphics. I was temped until I read the Steam reviews and apparently it has some issues. So I’ll hold off until reviews change. I did try the iOS version, and it looks really good, has lots of god options for game play, but, it make my iOS fan blow at full speed which I don’t want to subject me iPad too. :(

My co-workers play on a private server and seem to love the game. They haven't reported any major issues (at least to me, lol).

I'm surprised the iOS version still works. I thought they shutdown the Ark:SE servers once SA was released.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My co-workers play on a private server and seem to love the game. They haven't reported any major issues (at least to me, lol).

I'm surprised the iOS version still works. I thought they shutdown the Ark:SE servers once SA was released.
I believe the iOS version is solo. There is a note about servers discontinued, which is fine by me. I like playing at my own pace, building at my own pace, I cheat as necessary to reduce grind, and I’m not being rushed onto the next map. However, I won’t play iOS if it makes my iPad fan scream.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

They had shutdown the public servers (evolved) that the game sponsored in order to move them to to the newest version (ascended). People's private servers were not affected.

A large number of players (myself included) play solo PvE so this had no effect in any case.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I've watched some videos and heard references to it. I've been killed by these at least 3 times. First thing that happens is my world turns green. I start swinging my axe wildly, but I'm dead in a less than 10 sec. I saw one message that said, killed by a level 15 diloposaurus. Last I looked I was level 8 or so. Are the little spitters hard to kill?

They aren't bad if you have a spear (or a bow at range). When you see that they are about to spit, move to the side quickly and it will miss. Also, if you use a spear, you can somewhat prevent them from getting next to you and biting you (i.e. don't use a hand axe).

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
They aren't bad if you have a spear (or a bow at range). When you see that they are about to spit, move to the side quickly and it will miss. Also, if you use a spear, you can somewhat prevent them from getting next to you and biting you (i.e. don't use a hand axe).
You made me chuckle. Thanks! :D I really want to jump into the new version, ARK: Ascended, but so far have read too many bad reviews to consider it.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
You made me chuckle. Thanks! :D I really want to jump into the new version, ARK: Ascended, but so far have read too many bad reviews to consider it.

The update to ascended has two main issues.

The first one is the crazy hardware requirements. The game is in early access so hopefully they get it to run better.

The second problem is the cheating on the public servers (PvP and PvE). If you plan on playing solo PvE or playing on a private server with friends, this is not an issue.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

The first one is the crazy hardware requirements. The game is in early access so hopefully they get it to run better.

The second problem is the cheating on the public servers (PvP and PvE). If you plan on playing solo PvE or playing on a private server with friends, this is not an issue.
I friends have turned all the "new" pretty graphics stuff off to get the game to stay stable. Which is a shame, lol.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I’ve never played in a public server, always private servers or solo. I’ll wait for some good news before delving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.