Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
I absolutely love my iPad Pro. It’s screaming and no fans, no heat, no noise. And feels so ‘next gen’. It’s already almost as fast as a MacBook Pro, now Imagine the A13X or A14.

Can’t wait for Apple ARM Macs.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Nope. iOS ecosystem offers no real professional grade apps. Even Adobe Photoshop and MS Office for iOS are still bastardized and dumbed down "mobile" versions. They are fine as supplemental tools, but they are not suitable as full replacements of desktop versions.

Apple's introduction of "ARM laptops" will be an extension of iPadOS into new form factors. I predict something like a dual-screen clamshell with lower part being able to act as soft keyboard (something akin to Surface Duo).

It will NOT be a wholesale porting of classic MacOS to ARM or any kind of ARM MacBook running desktop MacOS apps.

I'm not worried about app support, iOS is a much more active developer ecosystem so even in the unlikely event Apple says jump and some developers don't, new alternatives to their products will no doubt be forthcoming soon after.

Last edited:

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
It will NOT be a wholesale porting of classic MacOS to ARM or any kind of ARM MacBook running desktop MacOS apps.

Ah, you must be working at Apple on that MacOS Dev team since you’re so sure.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
? do you honestly think they’d do that? That they would replace the current Pro with something that performs like the ARM surface laptop? Really? I’m not hugely optimistic, but I’m reasonably certain that they can mitigate the majority of these concerns in the majority of circumstances.

No, but I think the Surface Laptop could be a sign that a Mac transition to ARM will be slower than some are expecting.

Reactions: Howard2k

pratikindia

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2014
There are too many compromises with arm now. They are unable to run 64 bit apps properly. Apple won't put that chip in to Mac anytime son.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
There are too many compromises with arm now. They are unable to run 64 bit apps properly. Apple won't put that chip in to Mac anytime son.

There‘s already an ARM chip there (T2). That doesn’t make it an ARM based Macbook, but I think they’re pretty heavily invested already. Maybe instead of a minority of tasks on ARM and a majority on Intel, they transition to a majority on ARM and a minority on Intel, leveraging the availability of thermally efficiency, if that actually is the case in real life (7nm vs 14nm, 5nm vs 10nm etc), and lower powered Intel processors.

Not sure what you mean about them not being able to run 64 bit apps.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Emulation? Couldn’t care less. All the Intel-locked multi-thousand dollar CAD apps run on corporate servers or AWS, not on my laptop. All my pro full stack development tools either run on macOS or Linux, and are already ported to ARM Linux, or can be by Apple (Xcode, etc.). Adobe tools, Mathematica, Tensorflow, Docker, Kubernetes, etc., all run on ARM systems already.

If Apple dropped some new heat-sinked/turbo-boosted A chip in my MacBook Pro tomorrow, with the usual macOS utilities in arm64, the only problem I might notice might be better battery life.

Altherekho

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2019
Emulation? Couldn’t care less. All the Intel-locked multi-thousand dollar CAD apps run on corporate servers or AWS, not on my laptop. All my pro full stack development tools either run on macOS or Linux, and are already ported to ARM Linux, or can be by Apple (Xcode, etc.). Adobe tools, Mathematica, Tensorflow, Docker, Kubernetes, etc., all run on ARM systems already.

If Apple dropped some new heat-sinked/turbo-boosted A chip in my MacBook Pro tomorrow, with the usual macOS utilities in arm64, the only problem I might notice might be better battery life.
What about Logic,Reason ,komplete by Native instruments,Omnisphere to name a few,when those will land on Arm then i suppose we could see the shift but not until then

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Given the time Apple took to transition from 32 to 64 bit I don't think it's likely they're switching to ARM soon. It's not very productive to be worrying about it now too.

skipjakk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
You naysayers seem to have forgotten that this information came from Intel, not forum nerds, so there is some credibility.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-mac-arm-cpus-2020-intel,38668.html

Also, porting An app from Intel to Arm should be trivial in most cases(I do some development). This does require updated software API’s however, and as Apple seems to be having issues on this front, 2020 may be too early...

Finally, given the differences iin thermal requirements, Apple might create custom silicon for their Mac lineup, without the thermal limitations of the A series chips...

Last edited:

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
You naysayers seem to have forgotten that this information came from Intel, not forum nerds, so there is some credibility.

You meant, this rumour has been beaten up by a series of article 'headlines', right?

Axios reports it as:
Although the company has yet to say so publicly, developers and Intel officials have privately told Axios they expect such a move as soon as next year.

Which TomsHardware then re-reports as:
Intel Confirms Apple Macs Will Switch to Arm CPUs by 2020, Says Report

Which you're then taking as gospel.

Will there be Macs released in 2020 with an ARM processor in them? Yes, because they've been releasing Macs with an ARM processor in them since 2016, in the form of the T1 and T2.

Will there be Macs released in 2020 that use an ARM processor as the primary, sole processor (with no Intel processor)? Extremely unlikely.

Reactions: Hessel89

skipjakk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
You meant, this rumour has been beaten up by a series of article 'headlines', right?

Axios reports it as:

Which TomsHardware then re-reports as:

Which you're then taking as gospel.

Will there be Macs released in 2020 with an ARM processor in them? Yes, because they've been releasing Macs with an ARM processor in them since 2016, in the form of the T1 and T2.

Will there be Macs released in 2020 that use an ARM processor as the primary, sole processor (with no Intel processor)? Extremely unlikely.

Actually, look at my post again, I said ”credible”, did you not read my post? Because you quoted it. Or do you really think the word credible means “Gospel” ??? Maybe read my post again where I said 2020 may be too early..... it seems like you didn’t read my post before you replied.

or maybe look at this:https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/17/apple-custom-chips-macs-apple-car/

Ming-ChI Kuo, well respected and Accurate forecaster also confirmed the move.

I mean do you really expect us to believe you, a random guy on a forum, over industry experts with credible sources who have a pretty accurate track records? Where’s your evidence, where’s your proof?

Last edited:

high heaven

Suspended
Dec 7, 2017
The biggest problem is the amount of apps base on desktop apps.

Who's gonna develop and change their apps to ARM-based Mac? If nobody does that, then ARM-based Mac will fail due to a lack of professional software. At least Adobe is trying something.

Reactions: Hessel89

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Who's gonna develop and change their apps to ARM-based Mac? If nobody does that, then ARM-based Mac will fail due to a lack of professional software. At least Adobe is trying something.
That was one major concern with Apple with their PPC to Intel transition, and so they included an emulation so that legacy apps would still run (albeit poorly) while giving the developer the opporunity to recode for the new platform.

I suspect the move to running iOS apps within macOS is the firs step to the migration to ARM.

high heaven

Suspended
Dec 7, 2017
That was one major concern with Apple with their PPC to Intel transition, and so they included an emulation so that legacy apps would still run (albeit poorly) while giving the developer the opporunity to recode for the new platform.

I suspect the move to running iOS apps within macOS is the firs step to the migration to ARM.

But there aren't any pro apps for serious pros like Final Cut Pro, Davinci Resolve, Blender, CAD, Capture One Pro, and more. This is the biggest concern I have and if they can't solve this, then it will be meaningless for pro users.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Where’s your evidence, where’s your proof?

you’re asking me to prove something won’t happen? You want evidence to prove a non-event? Ok sure let me whip out my time machine and go get you some future non-evidence.

you are apparently supportive of the claim that Apple will switch to arm processors. The burden of evidence is yours mate: if you think it’ll happen where’s your proof? A bunch of articles repeating each other over some unofficial conjecture is hardly proof.

skipjakk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
This thread is riddled with linked articles about Apples eventual switch to ARM for the macs, it’s not some random posters opinion, it’s based on information coming from industry reporters, Intel, and a prominent analyst with a pretty accurate track record. Throw in Apple’s internal effort to merge API‘s and the Mac iOS code base under Marzipan, and it looks credible.

Now everybody's entitled to an opinion, but I take issue when people exaggerate and mischaracterize my statements in their response and then proceed to argue against something I never stated, it’s trolling behavior, and I’m going to call it out...

Reactions: Viamusic10000

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
This thread is riddled with linked articles
Many of which reference each other as "evidence". To give you an example of how this is misleading, if there is 1 article claiming <something>, and then 4 other articles that re-publish the same information citing the first as their source, that isn't "five articles". It's one.

it’s not some random posters opinion, it’s based on information coming from industry reporters, Intel, and a prominent analyst
Yet again, you're conflating Intel, and people who work there. I previously worked for the Australian Federal Government. If at the time, I'd told reporters (who knew I worked for the government) "Australia will make cheese illegal in 4 years time", no one in their right mind would interpret that as "evidence from the Australian Government".

"Industry Reporters" have also told us the following:
- Apple will release Plasma TVs
- Apple will buy Universal Music
- Apple, AWS, etc etc were "hacked" via compromised SuperMicro boards
- Apple or Disney will buy the other

How many of those turned out to be true?

Throw in Apple’s internal effort to merge API‘s and the Mac iOS code base under Marzipan
I think you're drastically misunderstanding what Catalyst does, and how significant it would be for an x86 to ARM conversion for macOS.

Now everybody's entitled to an opinion
Well thank you for that allowance at least

I take issue when people exaggerate and mischaracterize my statements in their response and then proceed to argue against something I never stated
.... You think that when I mentioned you treating those articles as "gospel" that was mischaracterising your view... but you then make claims like:
about Apples eventual switch to ARM for the macs

Do you know what "eventual" means? Did you perhaps mean "possible", or "potential"? Because "eventual" does not mean "something that may or may not happen".

it’s trolling behavior, and I’m going to call it out
.... This is literally what you said, when you called me a "troll":

YOUR the dissenting opinion on the thread(aka, troll)

A dissenting opinion is not a troll. If you seriously believe that, I'm sorry but you're wrong. This isn't about opinions or interpretations, you're just wrong.

skipjakk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
as a developer, I am aware of the limitations of catalyst, Apple usually needs 2-3 iterations before it’s solid, so I expect by WWDC 2020 it should be a lot further along. Long term it’s Swiftui anyway.

The linked articles were ABOUT Apples eventual switch to ARM for Macs, that’s what many of the titles say, For example: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-mac-arm-cpus-2020-intel,38668.html
Its not a claim I made, it’s a claim the article made. Look at my sentence again...
That is what the ABOUT is for in the sentence. I’ve only ever claimed the material looked credible...

and I also just stated “about Apples eventual switch to ARM for the macs” , just now, long after you misstated me, so it’s irrelivent anyway...

I mean you’ve done the same thing in your post above, taken sentences out of context and claimed I said something I didn’t....

i don’t know maybe it’s a reading comprehension issue. I had assumed English was your first language but maybe not the case? Not trying to be sarcastic here...

can’t speak to the other rumors as I’ve never heard them...

Last edited:

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I am aware of the limitations of catalys
And yet you referred to it as Marzipan, and don't seem to understand that Catalyst is about making application level APIs iPadOS apps use, available on macOS, to facilitate easier porting of those apps.

Apple has been doing ARM/X86 compilation of iOS apps since the very first iOS SDK was available for Xcode - from the perspective of compiling existing macOS apps to ARM compatible binaries, I don't see how Catalyst has any baring, at all. If anything, it proves that there's no inherent "need" to use the same processor architecture to run iPad/Mac versions of the same app - the build toolchain already handles all the processor specific stuff anyway (i.e. running iOS/iPadOS apps in the X86 simulator, or building ARM binaries on the Mac and deploying to an iOS/iPadOS device).

The linked articles were ABOUT Apples eventual switch to ARM for Macs, that’s what many of the titles say
Let me rephrase this for you again. That article, is "republishing" a mish-mash of other articles: one from Axios, and one from Bloomberg. They don't even link to the Axios article, but by date it's likely this one: https://www.axios.com/apple-macbook-arm-chips-ea93c38a-d40a-4873-8de9-7727999c588c.html, which has one single line of "unique" input, and then reverts to rehashing other articles.

Their one 'unique' input is this single line:

developers and Intel officials have privately told Axios they expect such a move as soon as next year

I mean, developers or "officials" can be anyone when theres no name attached to it, and there are clearly people who believe it will happen. But that's literally it - they have some opinions, and post them as a "source" - as they're not the first to break this "story" its entirely possible, and I'd suggest likely that those people they're using as sources, are themselves influenced by existing "articles" about this same topic. Once enough people talk about the same thing, others start to believe it, regardless of how true it is.

The other Article/theory Axios referenced is from Bloomberg, who, like you, supposes some kind of "Mac/iPhone/iPad" "single app" benefit to Arm CPUs - Catalyst, and the apps that have been released using it, are evidence that CPU architecture is not a "blocker" in this space: the blocker is in making an App designed for an iPad screen/interactions/window model work on a Mac. No amount of CPU similarity will make Apps magically have logical menubar entries or resize behaviour or whatever other inconsistencies people are seeing in Catalyst apps.

That is what the ABOUT is for in the sentence
"About" is not the word I was commenting on.

and I also just stated “about Apples eventual switch to ARM for the macs” , just now, long after you misstated me, so it’s irrelivent anyway...
It's not irrelevant at all. I suggested that you are treating the collection of republished articles about this as fact, or "gospel", purely as my interpretation of your comments on the matter. You've then argued that I'm mischaracterising your views, and in the process, you've described this as-yet-completely-unconfirmed potential change as "eventual". So as I said, either you do believe it is eventual or you just keep mis-using that word. Arguing that you didn't say it until after, is what's irrelevant. I presented my interpretation of how you'd reacted to those articles, and your followup has just confirmed what I first guessed about your views.

taken sentences out of context and claimed I said something I didn’t....

Where?

i don’t know maybe it’s a reading comprehension issue.
Well I agree I certainly have trouble comprehending what you've written, because you use words that apparently you don't know the meaning of, which leads you to get upset when someone makes a comment on what you've said.

I notice you didn't clarify anything about calling me a troll. Was that deliberate, because you got it wrong, or because you had just wanted to insult me, or do you just not understand why a difference of opinion is different to trolling?

skipjakk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
Your misrepresentations and exaggerations of my posts and my opinion have only convinced me that your just here to argue, nothing else. And longer posts do not make you look right, only desperate.

calling you a troll really isn’t necessary, your posts provide pretty compelling evidence....

Last edited:

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Your misrepresentations and exaggerations of my posts
And yet again, where?

here to argue, nothing else
I'm here to express an opinion. If you read older posts in the thread you'll see I commented on how I thought any kind of "ARM in a Mac" was likely to eventuate.

I'm interested in actual evidence of this supposed change, or discussions about actual benefits it would bring/compromises or issues it would cause.

"Discussion" about the same rehashed articles that all largely reference each other without any actual evidence or even believable arguments is pointless and IMO shows a lack of critical thinking.

"Developers expect <blah>". Ok, why? Does no one else find it weird that the only benefit cited in any of these articles - easier iOS/macOS app builds - is already possible, and has essentially been done in reverse (iOS apps running on x86) for over a decade, with essentially zero rumours of "iPhones will run x86 processors" coming from it?

Every article I've seen about it, rehashes and re-phrases the same old thing, over and over "<Person> expects Apple to switch to Arm processors in Macs by <Date>, because iOS". Not one of them has gone into the depth of discussion or thought that this thread did earlier - compatibility with existing software, the cluster-**** that is Windows on ARM without native binaries, not to mention issues like all the things taken for granted in a modern Intel x86 processor that Apple's existing Arm chips have none of, or very limited support for: PCIe lanes, Ethernet, USB, Thunderbolt, etc.

So, you know what. If you want to keep posting the same link, to the same article that references two other articles, one of which then references a third, unnamed article and one of which is a Bloomberg article which cites anonymous sources and, of course, previous Bloomberg reporting about the same thing as its "evidence", you keep doing that.

But don't for a moment try to suggest that someone who dares to question the credibility of Chinese whispers style reporting is "trolling" because they don't agree with what you believe.

As I've said multiple times: the status quo is what it is, asking for "proof" of no change is just ridiculous. But if you believe there's a change coming, surely there's some evidence about it, not to mention some justification for said change. So far, besides "someone anonymous said they think this will happen" repeated and republished ad nauseam I've seen very little of the former, and pretty much zero of the latter.

How's that for ****ing trolling?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.