Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I've read some interesting pieces by Gassée, but this was an exercise in filling space while saying nothing. Just like this post!

Well, his conclusion is pretty clear (whether you agree with it or not):

An answer to the now age-old ARM-ed Mac question now emerges: With the emphasis on the iPad Pro as a real computer, there’s no reason for Apple to move the Mac off of trusty if perhaps less glamorous Intel processors.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Well, his conclusion is pretty clear (whether you agree with it or not):
And, it’s a conclusion that will make many antsy. Because the next line is:
Does this mean that iPad Pro sales will cannibalize the Mac? We’ve long known the answer that one. It doesn’t really matter to the company as long as customers enjoy their Apple devices.
I’ve recently started thinking that Apple will ONLY move the Mac to ARM if they plan to keep it around as a platform for the long haul (lower prices, control their own destiny). If they stick to Intel OR switch to AMD, that means they have a definite plan for the end of the Mac. This aligns with Gassée’s latest conclusion (which may be re-concluded at WWDC :) )

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I’ve recently started thinking that Apple will ONLY move the Mac to ARM if they plan to keep it around as a platform for the long haul (lower prices, control their own destiny). If they stick to Intel OR switch to AMD, that means they have a definite plan for the end of the Mac. This aligns with Gassée’s latest conclusion (which may be re-concluded at WWDC :) )

None of us can predict the distant future, but I would expect classic macOS to stick around for at least another 10 years or so. Duirng that time - Apple will continue to evolve iOS/iPadOS to perform more and more functions of the classic Mac computers.

We just saw the introduction of keyboard-trackpad as a first-class-citizen on an iPad OS, as a major step towards that vision. Next thing I predict is Xcode on the iPad.

So, in 10-12 years - Apple can finally sunset the Mac with a relatively little impact.

What I don't see ever happening is Apple forking the macOS into x86 and ARM variants. A single platform scaling all the way from a Watch to a high-end workstation is where Apple wants to be, and that platform will almost certainly be iOS based. Legacy macOS will stick around for a while longer, until it's no longer necessary.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I use FCPX, Logic, Safari, basically all Apple software for the most part. I'm ok with ARM if it handles stuff as fast as intel products, I welcome the low temps/noise as well since I find even the slightest ramp up in fan noise rather annoying to me. Only thing I worry about is things like Plug Ins, the rare 3rd party apps I use (4k video downloader for some stuff) or maybe a program like Native Instruments Traktor which has an iOS app but may be slower to adapt their desktop software.

Also I'll have to get a Windows PC of some sort again to play League or the rare month of WoW since I doubt it'd run that stuff anytime soon.

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2013
I’d be surprised if Apple was still making macOS systems 5 years from now, but otherwise agree with your post.
I kind of think you're on to something here. Mac OS does seem dated when compared to iPad OS. iPad OS seems to be the future. When you think about the basic design of Mac OS it's been the same since the iBook G4, remember those? The more I've been researching the iPad Pro, watching reviews, watching how people are using them, it seems much more advanced than Mac OS. Maybe we will see Mac OS and iPad OS blend into one OS with the advant of ARM processor based Macs. But, as it stands now Mac OS is dated and needs a major change.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
I kind of think you're on to something here. Mac OS does seem dated when compared to iPad OS. iPad OS seems to be the future. When you think about the basic design of Mac OS it's been the same since the iBook G4, remember those? The more I've been researching the iPad Pro, watching reviews, watching how people are using them, it seems much more advanced than Mac OS. Maybe we will see Mac OS and iPad OS blend into one OS with the advant of ARM processor based Macs. But, as it stands now Mac OS is dated and needs a major change.

Define 'advanced.'
IOS only relatively recently-ish started doing multi-tasking while this is inherent in true OSes, including MacOS.
One could argue that 'touch and pen input' have been pushed forward by iPhones and iPads, and indeed they have, but this isn't across all input types (witness first trackpad for iPad now..), while file mgmt of any kind has also been new for user-level access in iOS/iPadOS. Siri certainly isn't a replacement today for many things - good luck using Siri trying to locate a file modified by you 3 days ago, either PPT or Word, let alone source code, with the name 'optimize' somewhere in it. :) Well, actually, good luck using Siri for nearly anything. :-/

Next someone will pretend iPad OS is suitable for media editing farms and servers. Nope.

This is but one small part of the reason many professionals have felt abandoned by Apple over the years - whether from the 'thin is everything' nonsense, to the joke claims even years ago of how kludgy consumption-focused iPad would replace laptops/workstations etc. for real work. Not saying they're not improving; they are, and I might consider using an iPad Pro as a travel laptop, maybe, soon-ish (assuming I can eventually get out of the walled garden and get things like DB tools, *nix terminals and various tools, etc.)., but to say iOS/iPadOS is more 'advanced' is a pretty poor joke outside of the audience 'Microsoft Clippy' targeted way back. Great for general consumption and specific create tasks, mediocre to somewhat passable in others, but also not for professional use in many cases.

Timo Zikeli

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
Wien, Österreich
Sorry for not having read the 26 pages, but here comes my question:
What do you think, would there be any disadvantages of buying a new Intel-powered 16" MacBook Pro in late 2020, rather than waiting for the ARM models? I feel like the first ARM MacBooks will entail a lot of disadvantages – on the one hand, all the current programs won't be compatible (or will have to use an emulator), on the other hand, the first version using ARM processors will probably not be that mature in terms of hardware, right?

I don't see a reason for using an ARM model rather than a powerful i9 model, except for this thought: What happens to software when Apple introduces ARM models? Will newly developed software only support these, or can/will it be compiled for both, Intel- and Apple's ARM processors? Suppose I have the MacBook for 5 years (and then sell it), will it "deprecated"?

Thanks for your answers!

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Sorry for not having read the 26 pages, but here comes my question:
What do you think, would there be any disadvantages of buying a new Intel-powered 16" MacBook Pro in late 2020, rather than waiting for the ARM models? I feel like the first ARM MacBooks will entail a lot of disadvantages – on the one hand, all the current programs won't be compatible (or will have to use an emulator), on the other hand, the first version using ARM processors will probably not be that mature in terms of hardware, right?

I don't see a reason for using an ARM model rather than a powerful i9 model, except for this thought: What happens to software when Apple introduces ARM models? Will newly developed software only support these, or can/will it be compiled for both, Intel- and Apple's ARM processors? Suppose I have the MacBook for 5 years (and then sell it), will it "deprecated"?

Thanks for your answers!
We can't really answer this question without knowing exactly what Apple's going to do and how they're going to do it. We should have some sort of idea after WWDC this year, so keep an eye on what happens with that.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm x86 only. I'd get the 16 if I needed a new Mac and try to keep it running for as long as I could. I might go Linux after that.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I've been researching the iPad Pro, watching reviews, watching how people are using them, it seems much more advanced than Mac OS.
I like how the structured UI combined with the non-screen touch interface makes a lot of sense. I don’t know if this would have worked, even iteratively over time, on macOS. Whereas on iPadOS, they were free to make it into this whole new thing.

I’m sure some strident Apple II supporters happy with VisiCalc just couldn’t understand why anyone would spend a penny on the expensive Macintosh toy (which didn’t see a spreadsheet for more than a year after it was released).

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I like how the structured UI combined with the non-screen touch interface makes a lot of sense. I don’t know if this would have worked, even iteratively over time, on macOS. Whereas on iPadOS, they were free to make it into this whole new thing.

I’m sure some strident Apple II supporters happy with VisiCalc just couldn’t understand why anyone would spend a penny on the expensive Macintosh toy (which didn’t see a spreadsheet for more than a year after it was released).

Some people actually use their systems to earn a living.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Downsides:
▪︎ Compatibility -- they would probably need to emulate an Intel chip for a time to make software compatible. Although this seemed to go fairly well when Apple did it before with Rosetta.

This pretty much. For anyone who remembers how much of a pain those IBM macs were to use sometimes knows that it is highly unlikely that apple will go back to that approach.

but history does repeat itself

Reactions: Ollé

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I can't see the "Pro" line going ARM the first year, could see a hybrid option coming down the road.. Featuring both Intel & Apple own ARM SOC.

Honestly I'd like to see Apple go with AMD for the laptops but I can't realistically see it happen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.