Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I also thought that the RISC/CISC boundary was less clear now as it were a couple decades ago. I remember reading this arstechnica article on this matter some time ago and their arguments seemed to be very convincing.
He’s free to take that position, but the whole point of that article is “here’s my hot take.” If those in the industry agreed with him, he wouldn’t have anything to say.

thedocbwarren

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I'm continually surprised and curious (annoyed) as to why these posts of "Proof of how crummy M1 is.... blah blah." and "HaHa see how bad Apple is..." What is all this? So many continued posts and data to show all of that is utter nonsense.

I also am unclear what the posters and detractors are feeling they gain by that. Validation of previous or recent purchases? If Windows x86 is all they care about what exactly is the reason for spending more money on a Mac? I'd get it if they are Intel stock holders and really losing it given how things look right now.

Reactions: JMacHack

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm continually surprised and curious (annoyed) as to why these posts of "Proof of how crummy M1 is.... blah blah." and "HaHa see how bad Apple is..." What is all this? So many continued posts and data to show all of that is utter nonsense.

I also am unclear what the posters and detractors are feeling they gain by that. Validation of previous or recent purchases? If Windows x86 is all they care about what exactly is the reason for spending more money on a Mac? I'd get it if they are Intel stock holders and really losing it given how things look right now.

Intel has a new CEO, and a plan, and their fortunes are based on how well they execute on that plan.

Their chart is actually decent as a lot of tech stocks have taken a whacking lately.

sc.png

Reactions: 09872738

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Intel has a new CEO, and a plan, and their fortunes are based on how well they execute on that plan.

Their chart is actually decent as a lot of tech stocks have taken a whacking lately.
Correct. They may have been lacking in recent years, but they still got enough financial stamina to turn things around. Don‘t count them out just yet.

Reactions: JMacHack

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I'm hoping to buy one of the rumoured upcoming 16" M1X MacBook Pros.

Can I run a x86 Windows VM via rosetta or do Windows VMs have to run Windows for ARM?

How is the performance? I'm not gaming - just some business systems dev work and a few Windows only programs.
I bought the last intel I9 16" MBP with max option it will take few years before I will trust M1 or what ever they will call it and I keep the OS Catalina for now too

Reactions: mguzzi

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I'm hoping to buy one of the rumoured upcoming 16" M1X MacBook Pros.

Can I run a x86 Windows VM via rosetta or do Windows VMs have to run Windows for ARM?

How is the performance? I'm not gaming - just some business systems dev work and a few Windows only programs.
Windows 10 x86 Emulated on M1 Mac shows that it is possible but slow. Crossover works better but it is limited regarding what will run under it. Qemu and Bochs exist as well but they aren't known as speed demons.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
This isn’t complicated. People make this way more complicated than it needs to be.

If you need or want to run Windows get a Windows PC.

If you need or want to run macOS get a Mac.

If for some reason you need or want to run both either buy an older Intel Mac or both a PC and a Mac.

thedocbwarren

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2017
San Francisco, CA
UTM was in the description of the video and people have gotten qemu to work but you really need to know what you are doing with that one.
Any emulation solution would honestly. I've had success but it's slow with graphics interfaces. End of the day I found completely unnecessary. Parallels works extremely well and most of my workload I can use native ARM solutions and docker containers. Cloud VMs work as well. Honestly, I think unless something is specific to Windows x86 or legacy I'd suggest stay with parallels or use a PC.

Software is coming along very nicely native support wise with Apple Silicon. Much quicker than I'd expected.

Reactions: ascender

mguzzi

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Columbia SC
I bought the last intel I9 16" MBP with max option it will take few years before I will trust M1 or what ever they will call it and I keep the OS Catalina for now too
This is my recommendation to anyone purchasing a MacBook Pro right now. It is going to take some time for all of the issues to get worked out in terms of software support and the current M1 chip isn't much different than the chip in the current iPad Pro.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
This is my recommendation to anyone purchasing a MacBook Pro right now. It is going to take some time for all of the issues to get worked out in terms of software support and the current M1 chip isn't much different than the chip in the current iPad Pro.

My plan is to get an M1X system, sell one of my Intel MacBook Pros but keep the other around for programs that don't run on the M1.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
This isn’t complicated. People make this way more complicated than it needs to be.

If you need or want to run Windows get a Windows PC.

If you need or want to run macOS get a Mac.

If for some reason you need or want to run both either buy an older Intel Mac or both a PC and a Mac.
You Are right I bought the MBP 16" on 12/2020 and the Lenovo P53 all set

Reactions: russell_314

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
So whats the latest here? Still stuck on my 2017 MBP waiting for a decent upgrade. Looks like Apple has finished filling in their M1 lineup on all their low end macs. So now its seems like its time to start the transition on the high end, which im assuming MBP is next.

Think it will be an M1X with more cores/GPU cores and more ram support or M2?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
So whats the latest here? Still stuck on my 2017 MBP waiting for a decent upgrade. Looks like Apple has finished filling in their M1 lineup on all their low end macs. So now its seems like its time to start the transition on the high end, which im assuming MBP is next.

Think it will be an M1X with more cores/GPU cores and more ram support or M2?

There was a Ransomeware leak from internal Quanta documents which provides a lot of details on the M1X MacBook Pros. There's a MacRumors article on the front page. Of course don't read it if you disagree that stolen documents should be made public.

AgentMcGeek

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
London, UK
There was a Ransomeware leak from internal Quanta documents which provides a lot of details on the M1X MacBook Pros. There's a MacRumors article on the front page. Of course don't read it if you disagree that stolen documents should be made public.

Just two things with this: 1. These docs may be outdated or exploratory designs. 2. They may be honeypots designed to lure potential inside leakers. This is common practice in infosec, see e.g. Macron leaks.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Just two things with this: 1. These docs may be outdated or exploratory designs. 2. They may be honeypots designed to lure potential inside leakers. This is common practice in infosec, see e.g. Macron leaks.
The designs were exfiltrated via a ransomware attack.

AgentMcGeek

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
London, UK
The designs were exfiltrated via a ransomware attack.
I'm aware. This doesn't affect my comments. The hackers may have put their hands on outdated files, or they may have fallen for a honey trap. This is an effective measure against insider threats, but there's no reason why it couldn't work against ransomware gangs.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I’ve been reading the first few pages and mentally patting myself on the shoulder :D

People were predicting this ever since Apple purchased P.A. Semi, but it wouldn't have been a particularly practical move back then. Somewhere around 2016 is the point where it started to look practical, particularly for simple metrics like theoretical max flops (not the only thing by any means, just indicates how fast you might compute floating point operations that don't require predication, branching, or heavy use of division operations).

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I'm aware. This doesn't affect my comments. The hackers may have put their hands on outdated files, or they may have fallen for a honey trap. This is an effective measure against insider threats, but there's no reason why it couldn't work against ransomware gangs.
Uh oh… there are a LOT of folks counting on HDMI and SD on the upcoming devices. I was just assuming they’d be there, too. But, I have to say a fake “dream device” would be a nice thing to drop into the honeypot. :) I may have a bit of a chuckle if we end up with all USB-C again.

Come to think of it, didn’t the group drop their demands?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.