Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rafsimons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
I'm in need of a new laptop that will be my main machine for everything (Mostly programming and schoolwork). Quite honestly the 16-inch macbook pro seems like the perfect size, but I can hardly justify it's price as it seems like the 13-inch macbook pro will close the performance gap substantially.
Having said that, I'm still concerned with the 13" screen size.

Is it comfortable to use the 13" with two applications at once (split view)?
Is 13" enough for a main machine or are there instances where things feel cramped, even outside of split-view?
What would you pick if you were in my situation? 16" intel or 13" ARM? I don't think there will be any compatibility issues with the programs I use.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I'm in need of a new laptop that will be my main machine for everything (Mostly programming and schoolwork).

13" is a nice size for a portable - but for things like programming it's nice to have all the screen area you can eat. If your eyesight is up to snuff, you can get quite a bit of "real estate" out of a 13" screen by using one of the 'more space' scaled modes.

Have you considered getting a 13" Macbook and pairing it with an external display when you're working at a desk? I used to use a laptop on a riser stand, hooked to a 24 or 27" display and with an external keyboard and mouse or trackpad, using the external as the main display but keeping the laptop available as a second screen.

Personally, I'd go with 16" if programming was involved (and probably still use an external screen where possible) - but it is an unfortunate feature of the limited Mac range that you can't get a larger screen without paying for more CPU/GPU than you might need.

Even though I'm enthusiastic about the idea of ARM Macs. I'd only rush out and buy one day one if I had the luxury of treating it as a "second machine" for the first 6 months or so - or if I was literally only running iWork, XCode and other Apple software with no third-party dependencies.

The best time to decide whether or not to buy an ARM Mac is after they've been launched and we all know what the specs are, what software is available immediately etc. The old mantra of "if you can wait, wait" applies as usual - especially now it may only be a matter of weeks. Its even possible that the Intel MacBook Pro (especially the 16") will get a final update while the first ASi Mac will be firmly aimed at the MacBook Air end of the market. We'll see.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Have you considered getting a 13" Macbook and pairing it with an external display when you're working at a desk? I used to use a laptop on a riser stand, hooked to a 24 or 27" display and with an external keyboard and mouse or trackpad, using the external as the main display but keeping the laptop available as a second screen.
This is a popular setup for most folks. I have used both the current 10th gen Intel 13" MBP paired with a 27" monitor for my work setup & I personally own a 16" MBP that I'm typing this on. I LOVE the screen size of the 16", but the 13" is far more portable — obviously — and like you referenced it's noticeable in some tasks that's it nowhere near as powerful as the 16". So you have to pick your battles...for now!

Reactions: Christopher Kim

pictonic

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
England
I do agree that it is preferable to wait on ARM macs until some user experience has been gained. The problem I found with external monitor is that it wouldn't allow the mac to sleep, and that matters to me on a battery-driven computer. Screens, both laptop and external, would go off but no sleep. Maybe it could have been fixed by some tweak or other but not obvious. So 16 inch is probably best. If you want that quality you have to pay, Apple or someone else.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I chose 16-inch, but I've owned 15-inch Macs going back to 2009, so it wasn't that difficult of a choice. The 16-inch is pleasing to use in split view...IMO significantly more so than the 15, and wayyyyy more than a 13.

I personally think it is unlikely the 13-inch is going to have performance across the board equivalent to the 16-inch, especially if we see a 16-inch Intel update. I do think it is likely the 13-inch with Apple Silicon will have insanely good battery life though, if that matters.

hailey bee

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2019
I am fine on 13". When I need two apps, I don't use split screen, I switch windows with Cmd+`

Don't choose 16" only for its screen size. Consider external monitor instead.

With ARM I'd expect software issues for at least a year, whatever you think today.

rafsimons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
Don't choose 16" only for its screen size. Consider external monitor instead.
The issue for me is that i do 90% of my schoolwork, studying and programming at my university. I'm quite honestly considering getting a thinkpad L15 with the ryzen and using that for a year or so before getting the ARM macbook 16". I'm kind of desperate at this point, especially as I'm currently using an ipad 10.2 and programming at home which is impeding my productivity quite significantly. Perhaps I should've gotten the 16-inch 9th gen intel mac with free airpods but now that's too late.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Perhaps I should've gotten the 16-inch 9th gen intel mac with free airpods but now that's too late.
I did that deal with the Ipad Pro, it was really good. However, can you wait 2-3 weeks until after the Apple event? I wouldn't recommend paying full price for 2019 16" since it is kind of dated at this point. If you are considering the 2019 version, it would be better to wait so prices can drop.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I'm in need of a new laptop that will be my main machine for everything (Mostly programming and schoolwork). Quite honestly the 16-inch macbook pro seems like the perfect size, but I can hardly justify it's price as it seems like the 13-inch macbook pro will close the performance gap substantially.
Having said that, I'm still concerned with the 13" screen size.

Is it comfortable to use the 13" with two applications at once (split view)?
Is 13" enough for a main machine or are there instances where things feel cramped, even outside of split-view?
What would you pick if you were in my situation? 16" intel or 13" ARM? I don't think there will be any compatibility issues with the programs I use.
I personally struggled with the 13" without a monitor for any work beyond an few hours.
If you are on it all day and dont have an external monitor I would 100% recommend the 16".

And then I use a monitor most of the time...........

If you are using standard mac apps I would be confident on the AS machines.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
The issue for me is that i do 90% of my schoolwork, studying and programming at my university. I'm quite honestly considering getting a thinkpad L15 with the ryzen and using that for a year or so before getting the ARM macbook 16". I'm kind of desperate at this point, especially as I'm currently using an ipad 10.2 and programming at home which is impeding my productivity quite significantly. Perhaps I should've gotten the 16-inch 9th gen intel mac with free airpods but now that's too late
If this is the case get a 16"MBP or the L15.
There may be a 16"update coming shortly.

If this is any help I just ordered a new HP Zbook and am selling my 16". Mainly because the apps I use are average on it and it is frustrating. If you are using mac / decently optimised apps, it is a fantastic computer.
Dont buy a computer for some free headphones - buy the one that will allow you to be productive and get your work done.

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2020
I'm in a similar spot, and I just simply can't justify an intel laptop given Apple's statement. The 2019 Macbook 16" is a great machine, but if you can't run OSX in 2 years it will basically be a doorstop.

I'll probably buy the cheapest 16gb/1tb base 13", use it for a couple of years, and then replace with an arm 16".
(plan to pair it with a large 24" monitor)

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I'm in a similar spot, and I just simply can't justify an intel laptop given Apple's statement. The 2019 Macbook 16" is a great machine, but if you can't run OSX in 2 years it will basically be a doorstop.

I'll probably buy the cheapest 16gb/1tb base 13", use it for a couple of years, and then replace with an arm 16".

If you can’t run any relevant software then Apple silicon is the real waste. An intel mbp will be fine for several years. Why would you think it’d stop running macOS? Lol

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The issue for me is that i do 90% of my schoolwork, studying and programming at my university. I'm quite honestly considering getting a thinkpad L15 with the ryzen and using that for a year or so before getting the ARM macbook 16". I'm kind of desperate at this point, especially as I'm currently using an ipad 10.2 and programming at home which is impeding my productivity quite significantly. Perhaps I should've gotten the 16-inch 9th gen intel mac with free airpods but now that's too late.

The last thing you want in college is a beta laptop from Apple that can’t run the software you need. Apple silicon shouldn’t even be on your mind.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014

MacOS will work fine in 2 years, but I think the app developers with shift their focus to AS over the Intel machines within a year or so, and as such support for those will reduce. If I recall correctly this happened on the last transition and this one will be even quicker.
But initially the the intel machines were rubbish for the first 6 months as the apps were simply not there. And no dont rely on Rosetta - it was utter crap the first time round, and I wouldn’t rely on it this time either. Native AS apps only for me.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
There's no question in my mind that Apple's better prepared for the transition from Intel to their own silicon than they were going from PowerPC to Intel. Back in 2006, all Apple had was the Mac & the iPod. iPhone OS was in a lab somewhere. Apple was looking pretty sad using PowerPC chips, since PowerPC withered on the vine, and they couldn't solve putting the G5 into the PowerBook. Contrast that to today where Apple has the breadth of scale since they've been using their own processors in iPhones & iPads for years.

I will cede that Apple sometimes half asses things or not fully bakes hardware/software just to get them out there. I hope that's not the case again this time. But I'm optimistic that the launch of Apple Silicon Macs will be far more rock solid than the last processor transition 15 years ago.

Reactions: ght56

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
There's no question in my mind that Apple's better prepared for the transition from Intel to their own silicon than they were going from PowerPC to Intel. Back in 2006, all Apple had was the Mac & the iPod. iPhone OS was in a lab somewhere. Apple was looking pretty sad using PowerPC chips, since PowerPC withered on the vine, and they couldn't solve putting the G5 into the PowerBook. Contrast that to today where Apple has the breadth of scale since they've been using their own processors in iPhones & iPads for years.

I will cede that Apple sometimes half asses things or not fully bakes hardware/software just to get them out there. I hope that's not the case again this time. But I'm optimistic that the launch of Apple Silicon Macs will be far more rock solid than the last processor transition 15 years ago.
I am hopefull it is as you say.
I rely on my computers for business so am out of the Apple game on that now as the future is too clouded.

However for home / consumer use - yep not a problem and think Apple will smash it [for their side of things].

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020

I like your positivity!

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I like your positivity!
Thank you!

Apple is a much different company now than it was when it announced the transition from Power PC to Intel.

In 2005, Apple had a market cap of $50 billion. As of this morning, it's $1.86 trillion. ?

For a greater comparison, prior the iPhone, Apple didn't even rank anywhere close to the top 10 companies in the world for market cap. Now it's #1. Apple's size & scale is so large because they've made smart choices.

Apple is a little more conservative now only because of their size & scale. I don't think they're less prepared now than they were back in June 2005 when Steve announced the PowerPC to Intel switch. Like I said they've made smart choices, and I expect this transition to be smarter in execution than the last.

Apple had to make the move in 2005 because the flailing Power PC chips were an existential threat to the Mac. So the move came more from a place of lack. There was urgency so the Mac didn't fall further behind.

Today there's not an existential threat to the Mac by staying on Intel. Apple switching to its own silicon presents a competitive advantage in many ways. They can make the move in a more graceful, less deliberate way than they had to in 2006.

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019

I think the same, this chips are in all apple products since some years, it couldn’t be a bad experience or need to wait until second or third version of ARM

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Good plan. Thinkpads are good. You could go with a Dell or HP as well. Get the MBP 15" arm when they are available. The 13" inch is good for travel but not nearly as good for a desktop like experience. If you go with the 13" you will need an external monitor. If I were you, I think I would a get a good transistional windows based computer as well.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm not expecting to see an ARM MacBook Pro 13" until March/April next year.
Are you willing to wait that long?
(I could be wrong)

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I'm not expecting to see an ARM MacBook Pro 13" until March/April next year.
Are you willing to wait that long?
(I could be wrong)
I think you're going to be wrong.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 11.10.13 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.