Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
That's where you are wrong, the ROI on rewriting software for a new platform is never positive. It's a money flush down the drain, and for no benefit. I'm the corporate guy that buys the hardware and spends on the software, it's what I do for a living, and I have never seen a good money case for a straight across rewrite, it just doesn't make sense in anything but the computer business itself. Where I work, computers/software are purely an expense...

”No benefit?” So you’d prefer that we still support the Apple ][, centronics ports, etc.? You don’t think there was a benefit for dropping support of all that? That’s an incredible position to take.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
If third parties want to offer support for older software, I say go for it. But I don't believe that Apple should be obligated to do so. Unless MS decides not to license WoA for VMs on Apple Silicon, it looks like there will be a path to running Windows software on the Mac, including x64 emulation. Perhaps SheepShaver will make it to M1.
You're also wrong here, there's no promise WoA will ever be licensable, so there's no way I could use it for work for now. Expecting it will happen doesn't buy you a whole lot...

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
”No benefit?” So you’d prefer that we still support the Apple ][, centronics ports, etc.? You don’t think there was a benefit for dropping support of all that? That’s an incredible position to take.
I don't really understand what you're saying there, but yes, absolutely no benefit for me and for where I work. And fwiw, we still have a few centronics printers too. :)

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
That's where you are wrong, the ROI on rewriting software for a new platform is never positive. It's a money flush down the drain, and for no benefit. I'm the corporate guy that buys the hardware and spends on the software, it's what I do for a living, and I have never seen a good money case for a straight across rewrite, it just doesn't make sense in anything but the computer business itself. Where I work, computers/software are purely an expense...
No, this is where you would be wrong, at least for many, many use cases. I've worked in corporate environments where time is money. Improvements that allow people to work more quickly, efficiently, catch or correct mistakes, etc. are definitely worth it. Buying new equipment or updating/adding new software often pales in comparison to the amount of money many people make in salary and benefits. This is especially true for creative professionals.

As for WoA support, as Apple has stated, that ball is in MS's court. There are pros and cons for MS. Apple has provided a way to run macOS x64 software for the near future. They're still selling Intel Macs, and will be for another year or so.

Perhaps fabbing old processors will be a nice side business for Intel, seeing how they're having trouble making modern ones.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
No, this is where you would be wrong, at least for many, many use cases. I've worked in corporate environments where time is money. Improvements that allow people to work more quickly, efficiently, catch or correct mistakes, etc. are definitely worth it. Buying new equipment or updating/adding new software often pales in comparison to the amount of money many people make in salary and benefits. This is especially true for creative professionals.

As for WoA support, as Apple has stated, that ball is in MS's court. There are pros and cons for MS. Apple has provided a way to run macOS x64 software for the near future. They're still selling Intel Macs, and will be for another year or so.

Perhaps fabbing old processors will be a nice side business for Intel, seeing how they're having trouble making modern ones.
Real improvements are different! Rewriting just because the platform changed, i.e., no improvements, just making it run, never has a positive ROI. And for getting money for improvements, you have to have some kind of case for that improvement, and that may even mean a new platform if the case is good enough.

On WoA, of course it's in Microsoft's court, never said it wasn't, but it is a problem for me running my stuff on the Apple platform. Remember I don't care about the hardware, I care about running the software I need...

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
Right, but gone are the days of just releasing a piece of software and then not touching it again. Unless it's a specific use case where it's running on a machine that isn't connected to the internet, at minimum you should expect bug fixes and security updates.

For Apple software, it's often as trivial as downloading the new version of Xcode, making some minor changes, then recompiling. Apple is usually pretty good about helping developers stay current because it is in their best interest to do so.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Right, but gone are the days of just releasing a piece of software and then not touching it again.
Actually, they're not gone, that's still the way a lot of corporate stuff works.
Unless it's a specific use case where it's running on a machine that isn't connected to the internet, at minimum you should expect bug fixes and security updates.
I don't directly expose any PC's (or PC servers) to the internet. (from outside) It's pretty much up to the OS maker and the AV software maker for updates on internal PC's.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
For Apple software, it's often as trivial as downloading the new version of Xcode, making some minor changes, then recompiling. Apple is usually pretty good about helping developers stay current because it is in their best interest to do so.
It's never that trivial for real software systems when you're changing OS/hardware.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
ARMv9 doesn't require a rewrite like ARMv8 did. That's one of the advantages.

I would guess 99.9% of software will just be able to recompile into ARMV9 without any changes.

Like I said, I wouldn't bet on it. Past actions speak volumes.

I work on software, specifically for ARM architectures. You can bet on it.

What it means for ARMv9 Macs and ARMv8 Macs in the future? Dunno. But it's not at all what you're making it out to be.

It's never that trivial for real software systems when you're changing OS/hardware.

What robco74 is saying is absolutely correct. As a developer who works on ARM systems I can vouch for it. You should go back and do some research.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I would guess 99.9% of software will just be able to recompile into ARMV9 without any changes.
That's .1% that don't.

I work on software, specifically for ARM architectures. You can bet on it.
I work on software too.

What it means for ARMv9 Macs and ARMv8 Macs in the future? Dunno. But it's not at all what you're making it out to be.
Oh, I agree that this v8 to v9 change isn't much, but given their transition to the M1 and how they did it, plus the getting rid off x86 compatibility of their own OS, I can't trust them at all. Given the attitude around here I should like that, but that's not why I own Mac's at home.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

You mean to say 100%. ARMv9 still uses the same AArch64 as ARMv8, it just adds some stuff to it.

Oh, I agree that this v8 to v9 change isn't much, but given their transition to the M1 and how they did it, plus the getting rid off x86 compatibility of their own OS, I can't trust them at all. Given the attitude around here I should like that, but that's not why I own Mac's at home.

They didn't get rid of x86 compatibility? Or are you talking about 32-bit x86? Well, that was long overdue.

I understand where you are coming from, but I have to say I strongly disagree with your point of view. Legacy software support is a huge blocker of progress in both hardware and software innovation. One should not keep obsolete platforms around just because some people have been using the same software for 15 years and the developer doesn't feel like upgrading their codebase to modern standard. This unhealthy obsession with backwards compatibility reward bad work ethics, lazy software design, and makes the situation worse for everyone.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
This has caught my attention. If I want to get a new Mac laptop, it has to last for 10 years at least. I don’t want a situation akin to the Core Duo intel Mac buyers, who are stuck with 32bit and got dropped from support quite early. It seems that we are at the tail end of ARM v8. With ARM v9 focusing a lot on security, I’m afraid it would create some fundamental changes on hardware and software that current M1 Macs might have a shorter support cycle than expected.

Should I be worried?

These things really make me anxious whenever deciding on tech purchases because Macs are not cheap in my country. I’m actually thinking of simply just upgrading my Windows laptop to a newer Windows laptop again, and postponing my Mac purchase until 2023 or so since Apple never reveals their own roadmap to consumers. At least I know Windows will still support x86 for a foreseeable future.

No, there is nothing about v9 that would encourage apple to drop support for v8 anytime sooner than it already would. The security differences are not a huge deal. I can’t promise you that you will have full OS support for 10 years - Apple does what it does. But my main computer is a 2016 Mac and I fully intend to buy whatever the next 16” MBP, with the expectation that I will be happy using it for 5 years, and it will be supported for at least a couple years more than that with OS updates so that I can retire it for use as a media server.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
You mean to say 100%. ARMv9 still uses the same AArch64 as ARMv8, it just adds some stuff to it.

They didn't get rid of x86 compatibility? Or are you talking about 32-bit x86? Well, that was long overdue.

I understand where you are coming from, but I have to say I strongly disagree with your point of view. Legacy software support is a huge blocker of progress in both hardware and software innovation. One should not keep obsolete platforms around just because some people have been using the same software for 15 years and the developer doesn't feel like upgrading their codebase to modern standard. This unhealthy obsession with backwards compatibility reward bad work ethics, lazy software design, and makes the situation worse for everyone.
For me, it's about buying an expensive computer today and the concern of potentially having it dropped from OS support in less than 5 years. It's akin to people buying the first 32bit Core Duo Macs.

But if v9 is just an extra extension, then my worry is probably unwarranted. It's just that v9 is right in the corner.

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
Well rather than worry about the new instruction set, perhaps worry that Apple will soon be making 128-bit CPUs and sunsetting 64-bit support. ;)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
For me, it's about buying an expensive computer today and the concern of potentially having it dropped from OS support in less than 5 years. It's akin to people buying the first 32bit Core Duo Macs.

But if v9 is just an extra extension, then my worry is probably unwarranted. It's just that v9 is right in the corner.

The difference between 64-bit and 32-bit core duo macs is so much bigger a deal than the difference between v9 and v8 that it isn’t even funny. Apple may not even use most of the v9 extensions.

V9 vs. v8 is more like when Intel or AMD come up with a new chip with a couple extra instructions (Which happens all the time).

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
I don't really understand what you're saying there, but yes, absolutely no benefit for me and for where I work. And fwiw, we still have a few centronics printers too. :)
I guess different businesses have different priorities, but IMHO, businesses have to make tough decision sometimes to move on with times based on risk management.

I know of an example where a company where they have a legacy bespoke software developed by a third party, which decided to move abandoning the support. The software is used to control certain equipment in the company's workflow. This has the potential of disrupting the company's operations should the software break down or the machine running the software breaks and replacements parts could no longer be bought.

You could say that Windows support backward compatibility, even for Windows 10/Server 2019, but the question is, will the business be 'brave' enough to run it's operations on unsupported software? I know most large corporations will not. Over time, small/medium size corporations will not be willing to pay the 'exorbitant' cost of support to keep legacy systems running.

IMHO, once Microsoft's cloud business is bigger than it's Windows business, we will start seeing Windows support getting cut, and the first thing to go will be legacy support.

At the end of the day, it's always risk vs cost benefit or whatever metric is important to businesses.

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
Well rather than worry about the new instruction set, perhaps worry that Apple will soon be making 128-bit CPUs and sunsetting 64-bit support. ;)
I don't think we're even close to exhausting the memory address space provided by a 64-bit CPU. I don't think we'll see anything larger than 64-bit in my lifetime.

And as @cmaier stated in an earlier post, memory has to get really, really cheap and density to shoot way up, for the industry to need to move to larger than 64-bit.

I can see the argument for larger register size tho. as it can probably speed up computation?

Does it make sense to have a CPU with 128-bit register with 64-bit addressing?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I don't think we're even close to exhausting the memory address space provided by a 64-bit CPU. I don't think we'll see anything larger than 64-bit in my lifetime.

And as @cmaier stated in an earlier post, memory has to get really, really cheap and density to shoot way up, for the industry to need to move to larger than 64-bit.

I can see the argument for larger register size tho. as it can probably speed up computation?

Does it make sense to have a CPU with 128-bit register with 64-bit addressing?

I don’t think so. In x86-64, our impetus for the 64-bit addressing was primarily for the address space, and we had a mode that did 32-bit calculations and 64-bit addressing.

I guess one thing you *could* do with 128-bit integers is eliminate the need to use floating point math for numbers that are small enough. Doing 128-bit math wouldn’t likely speed up most algorithms, because you are seldom dealing with numbers outside the 64-bit-representable range. Having 128bit registers that can hold multiple 64-bit values might be useful (much like x86 supports for its smaller formats). You could make every op potentially a SIMD op. But we already have SIMD, so…

Reactions: Krevnik

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I know of an example where a company where they have a legacy bespoke software developed by a third party, which decided to move abandoning the support. The software is used to control certain equipment in the company's workflow. This has the potential of disrupting the company's operations should the software break down or the machine running the software breaks and replacements parts could no longer be bought.
That's a bad spot, I agree, but they're screwed if they need something different, whether they updated to the latest and greatest or not -- that can happen to any lifecycle in any software or hardware.

You could say that Windows support backward compatibility, even for Windows 10/Server 2019, but the question is, will the business be 'brave' enough to run it's operations on unsupported software?
Yep, in spades, we already do. It's not at all uncommon!

Over time, small/medium size corporations will not be willing to pay the 'exorbitant' cost of support to keep legacy systems running.
Sure they will -- that's a heck of a lot cheaper than spending money on updating the software. Software costs are WAY more than hardware.
IMHO, once Microsoft's cloud business is bigger than it's Windows business, we will start seeing Windows support getting cut, and the first thing to go will be legacy support.
No way.
At the end of the day, it's always risk vs cost benefit or whatever metric is important to businesses.
Absolutely.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

So, ignoring the fact that these users have to go somewhere before Windows really enters a phase of cutbacks in resourcing, I think this is actually backwards.

The last thing to go would be the legacy support, as the folks who will keep using Windows are going to be folks with existing workflows that have to keep working (including legacy stuff), or enthusiasts (keep in mind that the PC is still about half the traditional gaming market) that benefit from compatibility with existing APIs.

Legacy support in Windows will die when Windows dies.

Sure they will -- that's a heck of a lot cheaper than spending money on updating the software. Software costs are WAY more than hardware.

I agree, to a point. I’ve seen companies implode playing a game of chicken with the need to modernize. Which is not great when that company tied their destiny to these legacy platforms even as they withered due to age.

awsom82

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2017
Ekaterinburg
That's not something I would worry about. Apple just introduced the M1 and they aren't going to obsolete it quickly, if ever. It's not like the upcoming V9 instruction set was a surprise to Apple. Since Apple makes their own processors, they may or may not support the V9 instructions. But either way, your M1 Mac will not stop working.
maybe M1 already use that instruction set

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.