Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Years ago I played a combat game with Official severs, where one map was an island and your team came in from the beach and had to take control of several control points to win the match. Can't remember the name of that one.

After Arma 3 was recommended to me, I decided I'd try Arma2 for $12 on Steam and check it out, before splurging on Arma 3 for about $50. Anyone playing either one?

arma2oa2011-03-0119-37-35-42_4.jpg

Questions:
*20 minute battles (or something like that)?
*Can you pair up on Steam to be on same team?
*Is their a decent coop campaign (single player style) that can be played with a friend over the net?
*I saw tanks. As a big Worls of Tanks fan, wondering how frequently you see tanks in a typical battle?
*I did not get a chance to play, but selected multiplayer, and so no games online. I'll have to verify my firewall settings.
*Are all the servers privately hosted or are there official servers?
*Can you host or join with out any modem port adjustments?

Thanks!

shadowmatt

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2005
Yeah got Arma 2 and Arma 3 on my Mac Mini using Windows 8.1 and an external GPU over thunderbolt.

I bought Arma 2 to play the DayZ mod, which is an excellent game in itself.

Arma 3 also has a good few mods such as Breaking Point and Battle Royal.

You can check youtube channels such as https://www.youtube.com/user/PsiSyndicate/videos for a good breakdown on all the different stuff.

Basically though both games are awesome, have a lot of online support and are still supported / being expanded by the community.

----------

Questions:
Yeah that happens, the mods can go for hours.

Not too sure about that, I just tend to have friends join the server, you can pick a side but its limited to the available places.

*Is their a decent coop campaign (single player style) that can be played with a friend over the net?
Again the mods offer all sorts, you can work as a ambulance driver in some modes

*I saw tanks. As a big Worls of Tanks fan, wondering how frequently you see tanks in a typical battle?
Never seen a tank in the ones I have played, lots of vehicles and choppers though

*I did not get a chance to play, but selected multiplayer, and so no games online. I'll have to verify my firewall settings.
There are usually tons of people on line and lots of servers

A lot of servers seem privately hosted but are open

Never had any issues

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah got Arma 2 and Arma 3 on my Mac Mini using Windows 8.1 and an external GPU over thunderbolt.

You can check youtube channels such as https://www.youtube.com/user/PsiSyndicate/videos for a good breakdown on all the different stuff.

Basically though both games are awesome, have a lot of online support and are still supported / being expanded by the community.

----------

Questions:

Not too sure about that, I just tend to have friends join the server, you can pick a side but its limited to the available places.

Again the mods offer all sorts, you can work as a ambulance driver in some modes

Never seen a tank in the ones I have played, lots of vehicles and choppers though

Never had any issues

Thanks! I asked the modem question because for UTseems like you have to make those changes to host a match. Ultimately I have to get my feet wet with the game and check it out.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So far I've not located any Arma 2 servers. My nephew told me the thought all of the servers had been closed. Any possibility of this? If so, I wonder why I was able to buy it on Steam. Working on an inquiry to Steam Support.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Play Arma 3, it's much better.

A lot of multiplayer servers run variations of the 'Life' RPG mod, which is inexplicably popular and completely boring. Avoid those if you actually want to play soldiers and shoot things, rather than walk around aimlessly in beach shorts.

Some servers take things very seriously. I got kicked off one because the commander kept giving me orders but I couldn't find the button to switch to his channel. We weren't even in a battle - this was just assembling at the base for a briefing.

Had reasonable success as a chopper pilot, ferrying people to the warzone. Nobody seems to want to do it because of the risk of crashing and wiping out your squad (and getting kicked) so there's often a pilot slot available.

In short, it's a great game. Excellent single player campaign too.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Play Arma 3, it's much better.

A lot of multiplayer servers run variations of the 'Life' RPG mod, which is inexplicably popular and completely boring. Avoid those if you actually want to play soldiers and shoot things, rather than walk around aimlessly in beach shorts.

Some servers take things very seriously. I got kicked off one because the commander kept giving me orders but I couldn't find the button to switch to his channel. We weren't even in a battle - this was just assembling at the base for a briefing.

Had reasonable success as a chopper pilot, ferrying people to the warzone. Nobody seems to want to do it because of the risk of crashing and wiping out your squad (and getting kicked) so there's often a pilot slot available.

In short, it's a great game. Excellent single player campaign too.

I'm thinking about it, but I'll be on the hook for 2 copies of the game and before I invest $120, I want to be sure this is a kick ass game with coop. Is the single player game have coop by chance? Has this ever gone on sale at Steam? Is Steam the only method of purchase? Thanks!

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I'm thinking about it, but I'll be on the hook for 2 copies of the game and before I invest $120, I want to be sure this is a kick ass game with coop. Is the single player game have coop by chance? Has this ever gone on sale at Steam? Is Steam the only method of purchase? Thanks!

I think I saw it in a Steam sale recently, and I'm fairly sure it's the only way to buy it.

There's no co-op in the built-in campaign, but there are lots of free mods that offer it. Some of the most popular multiplayer modes are essentially 'massively co-op' - you plus 50 other people versus the AI.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think I saw it in a Steam sale recently, and I'm fairly sure it's the only way to buy it.

There's no co-op in the built-in campaign, but there are lots of free mods that offer it. Some of the most popular multiplayer modes are essentially 'massively co-op' - you plus 50 other people versus the AI.

Thanks for the info. I'll wait for the next sale. :)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
User-friendliness isn't this game's strong point. If you join a server then you'll see various squads, so you'd have to find one with free slots in whatever roles you want to play. You need to join a pilot squad if you want to fly, or be squad leader if you want to issue orders.

I can't imagine flying a helicopter with keyboard and mouse - it looks painful. I used an Xbox controller at first, then I got a proper joystick / throttle / pedals setup.

edit: this guide is really worth reading - ttp3.dslyecxi.com/index.php

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I purchased this game based on suedo-peer pressure. ;) It may have been a mistake. :( My desired benchmark is a setup with more concentrated goals. I would hold up World of Tanks, nice tidy 15 minute battles. Arma is more like a MMO such as Planetside on a smaller scale designed to spend hours in a single scenario with lots of standing around or spent hoofing it to the fight. Oh well, can't win them all. :confused:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Well, it's about as far from World of Tanks as you can get! It's a hardcore military sim, and you need three people just to drive a tank. There's nothing really like it, in my experience at least.

You do have to make your own fun, to a certain extent, but it's worth persevering. There are so many ways to approach it, whether you want to play it seriously or just mess around and get beautiful photos.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, it's about as far from World of Tanks as you can get! It's a hardcore military sim, and you need three people just to drive a tank. There's nothing really like it, in my experience at least.

You do have to make your own fun, to a certain extent, but it's worth persevering. There are so many ways to approach it, whether you want to play it seriously or just mess around and get beautiful photos.

Well, I used to spend hours in Planetside, but even that game had facilities built into the landscape designed to be controlled. I'll run through the solo campaign and see how it goes. Those cant be cooped can they? Thanks!

Eightarmedpet

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
London's famous London

----------

Questions:

Never had any issues

Would love to hear more about the external gpu! Apologies if it's explained elsewhere...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.