Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I had made a post on an article by Juli Clover yesterday in which I praised her reporting, and also thanked @arn for keeping his staff employed during these challenging times so those of us who visit MacRumors as part of our daily routine can continue to be entertained and informed.

The post got several "likes," and I was particularly happy that Arn himself had "loved" the post.

Today, I was informed that a moderator had deleted the post, with only a cryptic message as to why. I'm at a loss as to what was wrong with what I wrote. Why would a mod delete a post that the founder of MacRumors himself "loved"?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm guessing the post you replied to got moderated away, and so when that happens, the replies get deleted too.

arn
[automerge]1586476741[/automerge]
edit: yep... the original post was deleted

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I'm guessing the post you replied to got moderated away, and so when that happens, the replies get deleted too.

arn
[automerge]1586476741[/automerge]
edit: yep... the original post was deleted
Ah. Haha! I understand now. I feel silly for having asked. For the life of me, though, I couldn't figure out why what I wrote would be considered a violation of forum rules. Thanks for explaining.

And, as I said in the original post, thanks to you and your staff for everything you're doing during these very challenging times.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Ah. Haha! I understand now. I feel silly for having asked. For the life of me, though, I couldn't figure out why what I wrote would be considered a violation of forum rules. Thanks for explaining.

And, as I said in the original post, thanks to you and your staff for everything you're doing during these very challenging times.

Thank you for the kind words and support!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The team does not like it when someone corrects grammar but especially if it's grammar mistake by one of their own.
With respect to general forum threads, we've unsurprisingly found that grammar corrections frequently derail discussions, which is why we prefer that they be avoided. Some posters are typing quickly, some aren't native English speakers/writers, some don't know correct grammar, and some are just being sloppy. As long as the meaning of the post is clear, there's rarely a need to correct another poster's grammar.

For our news articles in particular, we absolutely do want to know when we've made a mistake, but again, the discussion thread isn't the best place for it as it can derail the discussion and our editorial team may not even see it. The best way to ensure we see the issue and can get it corrected is to either email us at tips@macrumors.com or just report the post and the forum moderators will let the editors know.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.