Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Hello. Im starting my 6th Form/Senior Art Project and needsome guidance. My theme is 'Gothic' and I have chosen to re-design a DVD cover, possibly for 'The House of Wax' - or something in that genre. I have a few designs on paper, but now I am lost on how to recreate these on my Mac for that 'digital' look. I have used Photoshop CS2 for quite a while to manipulate images from the web, or from my Camera - but I don't know how to start from scratch to 'build' an image, on Photoshop... or if its even Photoshop I should be using? I would appreciate anyones help on the above ASAP:( as I have about a week to get the design from paper and complete a 'digital' version that I can print out.

Basically I need to know:

1.What Application I need to create an image/graphic from scratch

2. If its Photoshop I can use (Already installed); what steps do I take to create the 'Photoshopped' / 'Studio' look - like on the movie posters - glossy, relativley high graphics.

Thanks very much (In advance!)

PS: How the hell do I use Bullet points here, lol :confused:

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Photoshop is your best friend.

Bullets you say.
  • hey
  • there
  • this
  • is
  • bullets

When you are entering your post, highlight the text you want bulleted, and click the button beside the numbered list button under font sizes (has 3 little squares lined up vertically.

Also, try changing your font....looks horrific.... ;)

mac.FINN

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
if it's just an image your after using Photoshop and Illustrator is your best bet. If you don't have or don't know Illustrator - they you should be able to do it all in Photoshop.

First thing I'd suggest is to search online for photoshop tutorials - there's tonnes of them! Just go to google and type "photoshop tutorial" and whatever you want ie "grunge" or "scary" or "gothic" - you may have to sift through the cheesy effects to find a good one, but there's a lot of good sites out there.

Secondly, just play around with it. Create shapes and textures and abstract them with the effects - just don't go overboard with the cheesy one. please.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
josh.thomas said:
Hello. Im starting my 6th Form/Senior Art Project and needsome guidance. My theme is 'Gothic' and I have chosen to re-design a DVD cover, possibly for 'The House of Wax' - or something in that genre. I have a few designs on paper, but now I am lost on how to recreate these on my Mac for that 'digital' look. I have used Photoshop CS2 for quite a while to manipulate images from the web, or from my Camera - but I don't know how to start from scratch to 'build' an image, on Photoshop... or if its even Photoshop I should be using? I would appreciate anyones help on the above ASAP:( as I have about a week to get the design from paper and complete a 'digital' version that I can print out.

Basically I need to know:

1.What Application I need to create an image/graphic from scratch

2. If its Photoshop I can use (Already installed); what steps do I take to create the 'Photoshopped' / 'Studio' look - like on the movie posters - glossy, relativley high graphics.

Thanks very much (In advance!)

PS: How the hell do I use Bullet points here, lol :confused:

scan torn, distressed and crumpled paper, dried leaves, anything old and decrepit and use photoshop to ad an artistic flare. it will have a very photo realistic quality. and if you wanted to contrast that photo realistic quality you can trace some of the elements with the pen tool and paint them with flat colors so you have a 2D look from the flat colored elements you outlined with the pen tool and the 3D looking elements that you scanned in.

as far as how do you do it...well, thats where your artistic talent combined with your skill of the tools come into play. do a search for movie posters. you'll find that they typically have a main image...say a portrait of someone and they super impose that on a dramatic background, in your case something really moody and dark/disturbing. you'll find that masks will help you a great deal here. just do a google on masking techniques in photoshop.

this link is a pretty cheesy example but it will get you started.

http://www.photoshopdesign.net/tutorials/psdnet14a.htm

have fun.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
josh.thomas said:

As far as the tools needed to create movie posters there is no big secret, just a lot of practice in photoshop and a good eye for design. The idea behind a movie poster is quite simple, they basically capture the essence of a 2 hour movie in a single image or collage of images. There is a lot of freedom as far not being tied to exact scenes from the movie as the image, few if any are put together that way. The best ones are very simple and direct. Keep in mind that a poster for a major film can take a year or more to develop after a great many ideas are explored. Some times in the 100s of ideas before a look/idea is given the green light. I worked on one a few years ago that took about 2 years to develop and almost a 1000 ideas were looked at. These films are very expensive product launches, they will spend a great deal of time and money to get the poster right.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Firstly, is this font better? lol. Secondly.. WOW! :eek: Thanks for all your answers. Brilliant! Basically, I need to get an image (by scanning one from a magazine, taking one on my camera or obtaining one from the web) and then build on top of that, using Photoshop, to add effects and so forth, to create the final graphic? I'll start on it later on tonight. Thanks again for all your help - I will post the finished design... if I find out how. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.