Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serhannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
Berlin
Hello. I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina 13-inch, Late 2013) with a 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR 3 RAM. Graphics chip is Intel Iris 1536 MB. My operating system version is macOS Sierra 10.12.2.

Yesterday, I connected my MacBook to an external display (Dell UP3216Q - 31.5 inch, 4K) through HDMI. After connecting, I noticed some distortions on the view on my primary MacBook (retina) screen. Specifically, the display content does not fit any more to the MacBook screen on the left side. In other words, a small part of the display content is cut off vertically. Also, on the left side of the screen, I see now a couple of black vertical bars. On the other hand, the image on the external display looks perfectly fine.

To solve the problem, I tried disconnecting from the external display but it did not bring my primary screen to its original stated, so the problem persisted. I tried to log out and restart but this also didn't work. As a side information, in my display settings, I use "Scaled" with the option "More space". I tried to switch between the options back and forth to see if it makes any difference but it didn't.

When I take a screenshot of the whole screen, the content in the image file is flawless. So I think it is not an issue with the graphics chip but rather a software issue related to display and operating system.

Here is a photo displaying the problem.

NUmtQ7U.jpg

As you can see, a portion of the screen is missing on the left side and there are some artefacts (black vertical bars).

I read on the web that a PRAM reset might be a feasible option in such cases. However, unfortunately I cannot do in on my own because it seems to require a separate admin password, which I don't have. Of course, a last resort would be to contact the IT people but this could take too much time.

I would appreciate any help and suggestion to solve my problem.
Thank you.

Serhan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.