Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2020
The Asahi Linux team has been hard at work bringing 3D GPU acceleration to their operating system for Apple Silicon Macs. For those who just want a basic rundown on how this could impact the future of Mac gaming, Andrew Tsai has released a concise five minute video on the subject. He covers the progress that the Asahi team has made, the reasoning behind using FEX for emulation, and the chances of getting Proton up and running for DirectX compatibility to play Windows-only titles.

Also, sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it.

In her most recent stream, developer Asahi Lina answered the most important question: "Can it run Crysis?". I timestamped the video to play the relevant segment.

I think her reaction says it all.

Remember, it was just ten months ago that it was considered a big development when Asahi Linux was able to render a triangle.

Obviously, there's a lot of work to be done before Mac users can start using Linux for gaming, but the Asahi team has made ludicrous progress in the time that they have been working on this project.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I love watching Asahi Lina's streams. She does amazing work.

Also I just gotta say, her avatar design is adorable, especially the detail of her earrings, one of them being an apple, the other being the old Arch Linux logo (since Asahi is based off Arch)

Fccpy4YacAIHHz-.jpg:large
FZdBK4taUAERQ8y

Reactions: Colstan

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2020
I love watching Asahi Lina's streams. She does amazing work.
It's a trip watching Lina hack the Linux kernel while casually doing a seven hour stream.

Also I just gotta say, her avatar design is adorable, especially the detail of her earrings, one of them being an apple, the other being the old Arch Linux logo
As someone who doesn't watch anime, I admit that this is a unique phenomenon, so it took me a while to "get it". At any given time you can find a dozen gamer girls doing streams with a cutesy avatar, making random chirpy comments, while playing their favorite games. At first glance, there doesn't appear to be anything different about Asahi Lina, but that would be wrong. She's smart, crazy smart, wicked smart, and giving us realtime updates on the Asahi team's progress. When you realize that, it goes from pedestrian to remarkable.

(since Asahi is based off Arch)
Until recently, I hadn't cared much about the Asahi Linux project, but now that they are working on Proton compatibility, I took notice. I didn't realize that it was based on Arch, thanks for telling me.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
It's a trip watching Lina hack the Linux kernel while casually doing a seven hour stream.

As someone who doesn't watch anime, I admit that this is a unique phenomenon, so it took me a while to "get it". At any given time you can find a dozen gamer girls doing streams with a cutesy avatar, making random chirpy comments, while playing their favorite games.

Congratulations on falling down the vtuber rabbit hole. Enjoy your stay!

You can never leave​

At first glance, there doesn't appear to be anything different about Asahi Lina, but that would be wrong. She's smart, crazy smart, wicked smart, and giving us realtime updates on the Asahi team's progress. When you realize that, it goes from pedestrian to remarkable.

So with vtubers they're streamers who would rather not show their face, so their online personality is with the avatars they portray. It's not limited to just anime, you could use anything for a model. One vtuber named Pumpkin Potion uses an oldtimey rubberhose cartoon style for her avatar.

The best part is anyone can do it. All you need is an iPhone with a TrueDepth camera and some avatar software like Vtube Studio, Live 3D, VRoid, etc.

The trick comes down to making the avatar and getting the personality to build your audience. Luckily there are lots of 3D modelers who you can commission to create your avatar.

If you wanna check out more Vtubers, a great example is the cast of HoloLive English's first generation: HoloMyth

FWmoBXIVsAAKiJX.jpg:large

Mori Calliope, the Grim Reaper's apprentice who is a raging vulgar alcoholic but an amazing singer and rapper. Several of her songs topped the charts on Apple Music. Takanashi Kiara, a phoenix who became a fast food mogul who is an absolute hilarious bird brain. Ninomae Ina'nis (or Ina for short), a Lovecraftian priestess who is absolutely chill and great at drawing. Gawr Gura, someone I'm sure you heard of before as she's one of the most if not the most famous vtuber of them all, the funny dumb shark who always brings laughs everytimes she streams. And last but not least, Amelia Watson, a time traveling detective who is an absolute gremlin (she also has a doggo named Bubba)

Until recently, I hadn't cared much about the Asahi Linux project, but now that they are working on Proton compatibility, I took notice. I didn't realize that it was based on Arch, thanks for telling me.

So I'm guessing you're new to Linux huh?

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2020
Congratulations on falling down the vtuber rabbit hole. Enjoy your stay!

You can never leave​

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!

So with vtubers they're streamers who would rather not show their face, so their online personality is with the avatars they portray.
I figured as much.

The trick comes down to making the avatar and getting the personality to build your audience. Luckily there are lots of 3D modelers who you can commission to create your avatar.
I appreciate the explainer. It's more involved than I had expected.

So I'm guessing you're new to Linux huh?
Not quite. My first Linux distro was Slackware, believe it or not. I've hopped around various distros, from time to time. Since I switched from Windows to Mac, I haven't used a Microsoft product since, but do play around with various flavors of Linux.

I didn't realize that Asahi was based on Arch simply because I hadn't been following the project. Until recently, it wasn't in a usable state. I have been toying around with the idea of building a custom gaming PC, but the recent progress with Proton on Asahi gives me pause. I don't need performance levels of a 4090/13900K combo, just good enough for the titles I want. If Asahi continues to make substantial progress, they may have saved me a lot of time and $$$.

I'm still camping out with a 2018 Intel Mac mini with eGPU, and plan to either get an M(x) Pro Mac mini or M(x) Max Mac Studio with upgraded graphics to replace it, perhaps M3 generation. Until then, I'm going to keep an eye on Asahi and see how performant and compatible their gaming efforts are on Apple Silicon.

So, that's why I've finally started delving into the world of Asahi Linux, and discovered Lina's streaming exploits, delightful as she is.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I wonder if this is her first Mac for Linux development?

It isn't. Her previous Mac she used in her streams was a M1 Pro Macbook Pro. So this is a major upgrade moving to M2 Max as this means she can really stress test the GPU drivers.

She's got a history of using Macs which is why she joined the Asahi team

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.