Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
That doesn't seem like an ASD Killer, to be frank.

The ASD is a very niche monitor for a very niche crowd. The only thing close to it in terms of specs was the preceding LG Ultrafine 5K - and that didn't have a comparable either. I would just get whatever works best for you and not worry about brands, etc.

If that Philips display looks best to you, get it!

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Don't know what the obsession is with staring at a spotlight. I have to turn my OLED display brightness down to 50% otherwise it's too uncomfortably bright.

I don’t get it either…

Like, all my monitors are always at 25-35%

I’m guessing it’s about HDR stuff or something

Ziperix

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2021
250 nits (HAHAH), low resolution and burn in. Also looks like something from 2010. Yeah true ASD killer

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Imagine paying $4999+ for 32" XDR display with blooming worse than 2021 iPad Pro 12.9".

img_3681.jpg

Or, $1599+ for old cheap backlight/edgelit tech in 27" ASD with glowing grey blacks and LCD uniformity issue right out of box. That's worse than OLED burn-in that hasn't yet occurred with 5500+ hours of usage.

IMG_0155-1440x810.jpeg

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I really hope this paves the way for a 32" 4k OLED that is still sub $2k

That would be a very very attractive monitor to me.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Can't go back to <40". 48" LG C1 4K OLED is currently going for $999 at Best Buy which is a better deal than $1350 42" LG C2 4K. The savings could almost pay off a $400 3060ti FE.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Can't go back to <40". 48" LG C1 4K OLED is currently going for $999 at Best Buy which is a better deal than $1350 42" LG C2 4K. The savings could almost pay off a $400 3060ti FE.

Those are simply too big for many of us and our workspace setups..

Also, neither is optimized as a monitor, so they are missing some features computer using folks would enjoy.

That said - if the large OLEDs work for you, they are a sweet setup for sure.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The new QD Oled displays should be in that range. Samsung just announced two MiniLED 32" 4k monitors as well, both for less than 2k.

Really!?
Fantastic news!

Any word on who might be bringing a QD-OLED to market somewhere in the 30-40" size range?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
It's an OLED. You trade peak brightness for perfect blacks.

Don't get me wrong, I love OLED.
But 250 nits? That's not trading anything. That's worse brightness that most of 300$ monitors. There is no way I can use that in my office setting.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Don't get me wrong, I love OLED.
But 250 nits? That's not trading anything. That's worse brightness that most of 300$ monitors. There is no way I can use that in my office setting.
Fair enough, but remember that most color accurate monitors aren't about peak brightness. THey are designed to be used in near pitch black rooms where you don't need anything brighter. It also uses an older panel from some significantly higher priced OLED monitors. New QD-OLED panels will be much brighter.

That said, the screen on my Macbook Pro has spoiled me... I won't even consider OLED because in the real world with ambient light, brightness is more important to me than perfect blacks.

Reactions: BotchQue

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

250 nits in SDR. 540 nits in HDR.

"Philips says that while SDR peak brightness caps at 250 nits, the screen can get as bright as 540 nits peak brightness for HDR content."

Increasing LCD nits, on the other hand, just exacerbates greyish blacks and worsens blooming and reason why Samsung is exiting the low end LCD market.

Reactions: venom600

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008

"Philips says that while SDR peak brightness caps at 250 nits, the screen can get as bright as 540 nits peak brightness for HDR content."

Increasing LCD nits, on the other hand, just exacerbates greyish blacks and worsens blooming and reason why Samsung is exiting the low end LCD market.

And, being an OLED, it has per pixel lighting

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Fair enough, but remember that most color accurate monitors aren't about peak brightness. THey are designed to be used in near pitch black rooms where you don't need anything brighter. It also uses an older panel from some significantly higher priced OLED monitors. New QD-OLED panels will be much brighter.

That said, the screen on my Macbook Pro has spoiled me... I won't even consider OLED because in the real world with ambient light, brightness is more important to me than perfect blacks.

Thing is, 99% of people don't need high end, very expensive and very color accurate monitors. Myself included.
And those that do, they use way better and way more expensive monitors than this one.

I'm a developer. Don't need HDR, I won't read and write my code in HDR mode.
Most of people (myself obviously included) use our monitors at office, or at home. 250 nits is a joke for people like me. For example, I have Thinkpad P1 Gen4 and MBP 16 (M1). P1 uses 4K screen with really high brightness. It's great. MBP has even better and more brighter screen.

Eve 4K glossy is really great as well. And really bright.
In my office setting, I really have to use a bright screen. Not everyone is a movie editor for a big movie company.
But only time will tell if this monitor will be a success. If we see a successor, then it was good. But I wouldn't put my money on it.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Thing is, 99% of people don't need high end, very expensive and very color accurate monitors. Myself included.
And those that do, they use way better and way more expensive monitors than this one.

I'm a developer. Don't need HDR, I won't read and write my code in HDR mode.
Most of people (myself obviously included) use our monitors at office, or at home. 250 nits is a joke for people like me. For example, I have Thinkpad P1 Gen4 and MBP 16 (M1). P1 uses 4K screen with really high brightness. It's great. MBP has even better and more brighter screen.

Eve 4K glossy is really great as well. And really bright.
In my office setting, I really have to use a bright screen. Not everyone is a movie editor for a big movie company.
But only time will tell if this monitor will be a success. If we see a successor, then it was good. But I wouldn't put my money on it.

I am also a developer and ideally want the largest screen possible with the highest resolution. The 32" 6k Apple display is too expensive and too large for my desktop at home. A 5k 27" is a nice compromise. That said I would love an OLED display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.