Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I have an ASD (nano) with a VESA mount that replaced an LG UltraFine 5k.

I have it moutned on an Ergotron arm and it’s very hard to adjust the vertical tilt, which didn’t used to be the case w/the UltraFine 5k. I think its due to the design of the VESA mount, that‘s H shaped with only the middle part of the H attaching to the display with the screws connect to the ARM on the extensions of the H.

This means when I tilt the screen up or down you can see the top part of the mount pull away or vice versa, it also feels like it takes way too much effort. I end up having to baby it with two hands kind of standing over my desk, which is annoying b/c I usually do this adjustment when I sit in my seat differently and then I have and endless back and forth of adjustment.

It it supposed to be this way? It kind of really sucks.

Reactions: picpicmac

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
it also feels like it takes way too much effort.
Does the Ergotron need some adjustment to loosen the tilt?

I end up having to baby it with two hands kind of standing over my desk
Do you not use both hands anyway? One of top, one on the bottom of the display, with one hand pushing while the other is pulling.

On my shopping list is ASD w/VESA, but I've not seen many comments on the VESA design.

miemo

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2017
I have an ASD (nano) with a VESA mount that replaced an LG UltraFine 5k.

I have it moutned on an Ergotron arm and it’s very hard to adjust the vertical tilt, which didn’t used to be the case w/the UltraFine 5k. I think its due to the design of the VESA mount, that‘s H shaped with only the middle part of the H attaching to the display with the screws connect to the ARM on the extensions of the H.

This means when I tilt the screen up or down you can see the top part of the mount pull away or vice versa, it also feels like it takes way too much effort. I end up having to baby it with two hands kind of standing over my desk, which is annoying b/c I usually do this adjustment when I sit in my seat differently and then I have and endless back and forth of adjustment.

It it supposed to be this way? It kind of really sucks.

Yeah the VESA mount on the ASD is a ridicilous afterthought… Initially I assumed all the visible screws on the H-shaped mount actually connect to the monitor frame as one would assume for a steady setup. So was freaked out to realize the VESA mount edges bends away from the monitor frame really easily when tilting – even got in touch with a local Apple support team, only to receive the official confirmation that all of that is by design. 😅 It feels incredibly flimsy, esp. for such a finessed design in every other way…

And yeah, the Ergotron arms are WAAAAY too tight when it comes to tilting, as are most of the other options – I've documented my similar findings in detail on the owner's thread, e.g. here on the Ergotron: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread....2337972/page-124?post=32398013#post-32398013

…ended up with Herman Miller Ollin which is a great match for the ASD, even the tilt works really effortlessly: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread....2337972/page-126?post=32435105#post-32435105

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have two VESA-mount ASDs on Amazon Basics arms. The arms themselves are a bit stiff (get what you pay for), but the Studio Displays and the VESA bracket on the backs of them are super sturdy. So while the Amazon Basics arms are not really all that great, I don't really move them at all once they're where I want them.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Yeah the VESA mount on the ASD is a ridicilous afterthought…
The VESA design is the same as on the iMac, and on some of the Intel iMacs also. The H-bracket attaches to the the hinge on the iMac body, so it appears that was carried over to the ASD.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Does the Ergotron need some adjustment to loosen the tilt?

Do you not use both hands anyway? One of top, one on the bottom of the display, with one hand pushing while the other is pulling.

On my shopping list is ASD w/VESA, but I've not seen many comments on the VESA design.

I do use both hands but usually from the front and form my seat, so I can see how the adjustment is. I spend long hours at my desk so I like to recline or sit ergo or sit on my leg etc and want to more easily be able to adjust the screen.

The ergo does have an adjustment and I allegedly have it set to full loose but it doesn't seem to make a difference, I think the spring that holds the tension for the tilt is just wound really tight.

I did take it all down and worked it where it felt like it got a little more loose but it doesn't stay that way.

Yeah the VESA mount on the ASD is a ridicilous afterthought… Initially I assumed all the visible screws on the H-shaped mount actually connect to the monitor frame as one would assume for a steady setup. So was freaked out to realize the VESA mount edges bends away from the monitor frame really easily when tilting – even got in touch with a local Apple support team, only to receive the official confirmation that all of that is by design. 😅 It feels incredibly flimsy, esp. for such a finessed design in every other way…

And yeah, the Ergotron arms are WAAAAY too tight when it comes to tilting, as are most of the other options – I've documented my similar findings in detail on the owner's thread, e.g. here on the Ergotron: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread....2337972/page-124?post=32398013#post-32398013

…ended up with Herman Miller Ollin which is a great match for the ASD, even the tilt works really effortlessly: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread....2337972/page-126?post=32435105#post-32435105

I have a wall mount setup so can't use the Herman Miller. I thought Human Scale used to make some but they all look like desk arms now.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
New York
The VESA design is the same as on the iMac, and on some of the Intel iMacs also. The H-bracket attaches to the the hinge on the iMac body, so it appears that was carried over to the ASD.
It is not a good feeling experience, it feels like the thing is about to rip off the back of the screen. I can't see how people just adjust it like this on the fly.

Reactions: miemo

miemo

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2017
Well, that makes it an after-thought with an alarmingly long history 😜

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It is not a good feeling experience, it feels like the thing is about to rip off the back of the screen. I can't see how people just adjust it like this on the fly.
As I noted above, I've got two ASDs with VESA mounts, and the bracket that attaches to the displays itself feel perfectly solid to me.

Reactions: picpicmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.