Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I upgrade?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dimitotti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Bergen Norway
hei
I am on a visit to Doha, Qatar when I saw that the MacBook Pro is quite cheaper than back home in Norway.
I currently have a 15-inch 2012 retina MacBook Pro / 2.6GHz / 16 GB RAM / 512GB Storage
I use it mostly for work using Adobe CC
So my question is: is the new MacBook Pro worth the upgrade with the specifications mentioned in the attached picture?

Thank you very much for your help/ advice

Attachments

• F4A8EBB7-4D5E-4726-9ADA-CB58C17DAF89.jpeg
    F4A8EBB7-4D5E-4726-9ADA-CB58C17DAF89.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 561

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
I upgraded from an early 2011 MacBook Pro with SSD and 16gb RAM to a non touchbar 13” 2017 MacBook Pro and I’ve found Illustrator and InDesign just as responsive on the 2011 as it is on the 2017. In my case I only upgraded because I had hardware issues.

So my personal opinion is that yes you’ll get great performance on the 2017, but you’re already getting great performance on your 2012 in CC.

Upgrading is worth it if you want a lighter machine for travel, want access to features like metal 2, or want the USB c ports. The dongle life can be frustrating though. I don’t think the upgrade is worth it for CC alone.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
The specs are for a nice system. I have a 2013 15-MBP, with 16GB and 1TB, and GT750M. First, do you have an SSD in your system? That can be a great mid-life kicker. If so, there are benefits to the new system as noted above. I think the display may be even nicer on the new one. But the new ones are completely unserviceable. For example, a key on my daughter's 2016 13-MBP stuck, and required the entire top case to be replaced (which required it to be sent to the depot - out for 6 days). So, Apple Care is really a requirement. Wouldn't surprise me to see Apple announcing yet another "breakthrough keyboard technology" in the near future, as the current one doesn't seem to be that good.

Dimitotti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Bergen Norway
The specs are for a nice system. I have a 2013 15-MBP, with 16GB and 1TB, and GT750M. First, do you have an SSD in your system? That can be a great mid-life kicker. If so, there are benefits to the new system as noted above. I think the display may be even nicer on the new one. But the new ones are completely unserviceable. For example, a key on my daughter's 2016 13-MBP stuck, and required the entire top case to be replaced (which required it to be sent to the depot - out for 6 days). So, Apple Care is really a requirement. Wouldn't surprise me to see Apple announcing yet another "breakthrough keyboard technology" in the near future, as the current one doesn't seem to be that good.
I upgraded from an early 2011 MacBook Pro with SSD and 16gb RAM to a non touchbar 13” 2017 MacBook Pro and I’ve found Illustrator and InDesign just as responsive on the 2011 as it is on the 2017. In my case I only upgraded because I had hardware issues.

So my personal opinion is that yes you’ll get great performance on the 2017, but you’re already getting great performance on your 2012 in CC.

Upgrading is worth it if you want a lighter machine for travel, want access to features like metal 2, or want the USB c ports. The dongle life can be frustrating though. I don’t think the upgrade is worth it for CC alone.
Thank you guys for your replies
I think I will get it with an extended Apple care
Thanks once again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.