Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexmac712

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
FL
Hello, one and all
I have a mix of files from a Sony Handicam at 720 x 480 and footage from a Samsung phone set at 1280 x 720. Edited.all of it down. As I've done in the past, I exported the project as .mov thru Qucktime.
Unfortunately, the aspect ratio came out full frame. I have repeatedly tinkered with some custom settings, selecting 16:9, 720p (1280x720) with mixed results. Either the full frame or too much letterboxing stretching out the video.
Is there another way to get the right aspect ratio? Did I miss a step in the beginning? Or is it something else?
Thanks in advance, everyone.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I'm not entirely sure what you're doing, but go File; new project. Select custom settings on the pop up box and choose 720p. When you place your clips in the project, the Samsung phone should display across the entire frame, your Sony handicam footage you'll either have black bars on the side or you can select the clips, and change the Spatial Conform in the inspector of the clip to Fill which will crop the top and bottom so you see no black bars.

You should be able to copy your clips from the previous project and past it in the new one, but I'm not entirely sure if you tried distorting individual clips or anything else.

alexmac712

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
FL
I'm not entirely sure what you're doing, but go File; new project. Select custom settings on the pop up box and choose 720p. When you place your clips in the project, the Samsung phone should display across the entire frame, your Sony handicam footage you'll either have black bars on the side or you can select the clips, and change the Spatial Conform in the inspector of the clip to Fill which will crop the top and bottom so you see no black bars.

You should be able to copy your clips from the previous project and past it in the new one, but I'm not entirely sure if you tried distorting individual clips or anything else.

What I think created problems was the first clip I placed on the timeline was a still photo and it locked in the 4:3 ratio. I Didn't realize until I was done editing and exported the whole thing.
So, what should've been a 16:9 movie showed as a boxed video.
I did open a new project and tried some widescreen settings and copied some clips over to it.
Then, I did try using the motion feature and stretch the clips to be as close to 1280x720 as possible, but once I exported, the movie was glitching.
Bizarre.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.