Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Submitted this somewhere else but figured it fit the theme.

holidayprep7qx.jpg

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i like it

i'm a sucker for heavy focus contrast

nice work

only comment i'd have is that the flash (i assume) caused the front of the object to be a bit overexposed. with the shiny material, that is a bit exaggerated. sweet though

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This is nice! :) Excellent bokeh! :D

My only comment would be that you should work the colors a little more, along the lines of what Jello said. The red of the bow in the foreground comes out as almost a maroon...if you boosted the colors so that it went in the direction of a traditional poinsettia Christmas red, then I think it would also make the golds richer. :)

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Yeah, the flash did blow out the color of the ribbon...that would've worked much better. It didn't come out like I was hoping (wanted the reflection in the glass to be much more significant and the colors to pop more). I did this in really low lighting so I probably should've bounced the flash. Thanks for the comments guys.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
The flash is a separate flash (e.g., Canon 420ex, 550ex, etc...) that can be pivoted to point in other directions. I could have pointed it to my ceiling which would have given a much more diffuse lighting that wouldn't have reflected back into the lens so much. Using the on camera flash, one might be able to use a piece of aluminum foil or white note card to redirect the flash to the ceiling. I don't know how well this works though as it would depend on how the camera determines flash exposure.

jelloshotsrule said:
how would you have bounced the flash? do you have a flash that's not connected to your camera?

i'm asking to learn, not to be a smartass. ;)

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Since I just unwrapped my D50 at Christmas and do not have a seperate flash I've been forced to use the onboard flash. As a result I've taken dozens of photos with the flash turned off or with various objects in front of the flash. Usually I place a finger at the top or bottom of the flash to try and get the right effect. I'd like to locate a small mirror to place in front of it at an angle to see how that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.