Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of cMP 5,1 (technically one is a 2009 flashed from 4,1 with Dual CPUs + a 2012 with Single CPU). Both are running OLCP 1.4.3. With OLCP, I'm able to run both with Monterey. I've been thinking about upgrading the WiFi/CPU on both. Currently, I am using the internal Broadcom WiFi 802.11ac/BT 4.0 dual combo card.

I saw that Asus makes a PCIe AX1800 with Bluetooth 5.2. I didn't see any references that it supported MacOS. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten one of these to work. They seem pretty inexpensive.

Does anyone have any feedback on this card or any other that you may be familiar with that can go into a PCIe slot?

Any help would be appreciated...JP

Attachments

• w692.png
    w692.png
    219.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
No macOS drivers, works only with Linux or Windows.

Btw, even for the Wi-Fi 802.11ax chipsets that have open source drivers that work with macOS, like some of the Intel AX chipsets, the performance is considerably inferior when compared with Apple Broadcom 802.11ac chipsets and the cards stop working after you enter sleep. https://openintelwireless.github.io/

Forget 802.11ax compatible cards and macOS.

Reactions: sheapuppy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.