Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Similar news are making the rounds for Gigabyte now. Pair that with mediocre support and you have angry (ex-) customers.

There is always a risk with adopting new platforms, AM5, DDR5, that needs time to mature. I am not making excuses for mainboards destroying other hardware through broken firmware upgrades, that is inexcusible and certainly worse than the issues we had with previous newer tech. Some AM4 boards many years ago were trash initially as well. Threadripper was plagued by issues initially. Intel boards aren't all working well either, some mainboards are seriously underpowered and restrict performance due to inadequate components.

It really can be a minefield though if you go through reviews and reports such as the current Asus ones, you can relatively easily figure out what to stay away from. For system integrators they should fix/exchange systems with such components no questions asked.

The 7800X3D chip hasn't been all that well received either and seems to be flawed with performance fluctuations and requiring tinkering to a degree that is unreasonable, just to get the full performance you paid for. And then there is the entire question of why it's being marketed as a gamer CPU when any reasonable modern fast CPU is plenty for any game and only very few games, such as Factorio, can truly benefit from the "3D" part of the chip.

For me there is an overarching theme to this all, where marketing tries to sell us overpriced latest-gen hardware with performance claims that don't hold up under testing and actually seems worse than cheaper previous-gen hardware that works just as well in games and doesn't have all these stability issues let alone risk of blowing up the PC.

We now have reports of nvidia 2000 series cards starting to fail after just 3-4 years because the cards are so heavy that the weight bends the cards and detaches memory chips from the board. We have graphics cards with such unreasonable power spikes that many power supplies couldn't handle it or thought a short-circuit happened and shut down for protection.

And the latest cards of the previous 1-2 years, RX6950XT, 3090Ti, 4090... are even heavier with even crazier power requirements. From their insane weight alone I'd epect them all to fail from bad design, in short order, making it all manufacturing issues that consumers are gonna pay for since it will certainly not end up being covered by any warranty.

And that's of course all products with prices in the quadruple digits. It's pretty bad.

I bought AM4/DDR4 hardware recently, hardware that is significantly cheaper, performs just as well in most tasks and is tried and tested with non-"beta" firmware to the point where I can comfortably say that it will last a long time. Mainboard manufacturer? Graphics card? Both Asus. And in a couple years when I replace this, I'll get whatever brand has a stable product that fulfills my requirements at that time.

Reactions: dmr727
Apr 12, 2023
Two issues here. One, AMD. Two, Asus. Combo for disaster. Asus. they tell you to get bent when you have any issue at all refusing warranty (personal experience)...and 2. AMD, they try to compete with intel, but fall short.

For example, in amd based notebooks, as soon as you remove power, AMD will throttle ram, ssd, cpu and gpu to save battery to get close to the intel based systems. Where as intel will only thermal throttle if temps get out of wack. Two totally different types of throttling. One is complete system speed reduction to try to get battery close to intel, and the other is a protection system to prevent damage.

Obviously, the protection systems in the AMD chips don't work correctly either. I will continue to be super happy with my intel based systems and laugh at the haters who are having issue with compatibility, Chips cooking, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.