Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The battery life is going to be a pain point, I think. Otherwise it does have more performance than the Deck.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The battery life is going to be a pain point, I think. Otherwise it does have more performance than the Deck.
Based on the LTT video I linked its overall a step up hardware wise then the steam deck, but yeah battery life does seem a bit of a step back. Not owning a steam deck, how often are they used on battery?

On the software side, it seems the software to interact with the Asus is less refined, and less intuitive the steam deck.

Heat management seems very good with the Ally and since its running windows and not linux with an emulation layer there's many more games available.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Based on the LTT video I linked its overall a step up hardware wise then the steam deck, but yeah battery life does seem a bit of a step back. Not owning a steam deck, how often are they used on battery?

On the software side, it seems the software to interact with the Asus is less refined, and less intuitive the steam deck.

Heat management seems very good with the Ally and since its running windows and not linux with an emulation layer there's many more games available.
The battery on the Steam Deck is better than the ROG, but honestly that isn't saying much. I don't have it, but one of my coworkers does and after checking out his I decided to wait until maybe gen 2 or 3 of the Steam Deck. He gets anywhere from 1hr to around 4 or 5 depending on the game and that is primarily the biggest thing of course. If the next gen Steam Deck can get to around an average of that 4-5 for most games handheld that would be probably when I buy.

Really good to see some competition in the space though wit Asus and hopefully they keep it up!

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
It looks amazing but for this price it should be near perfect which neither hardware nor software are. Anyone who ever tried to use their software utilities for Asus mainboards and graphics cards knows you can expect just about the worst garbage. And I say this as a fan of Asus products generally, despite having heard JayzTwoCents just dropped them as a sponsor and from all their recommendations going forward.

As was mentioned in the video, you pay for the device in its current state, not for some probably improved device a couple months/years down the road. There's no guarantees you'll like it much better then.

The Steam Deck is not that great either in my opinion, even though the software is more refined it still can't run a lot of games well or in many cases, at all. I have a dozen favorite games in my Steam library that are still not supported and I really don't want yet another device that has a limited library. I already have a Switch for that, the library is relatively small.

A really good handheld gaming console that costs as much as the Ally should offer a refined software experience like the Switch and the Deck, should have newer hardware like the Ally, and obviously in a dream world would play anything.

There are too many gaming consoles that each have their exclusive titles and pros and cons and I absolutely don't want yet another device. I already have 3 wireless charging pads on my desk just to combat the mess of USB-C, microUSB and Lightning cables required day to day, plus various gaming devices like the Switch, and wireless input devices, including game controllers. The Ally would be yet another device requiring charging, updating, storage bag accessoires, perhaps some account management, it just never ends.

What does any of this mean in practice or have to do with handheld gaming and the Ally? Going on a trip I have to decide which devices to bring: Macbook? Or just the iPad? The Switch too? Just the Macbook as it still plays a few Steam games on MacOS? Stream something with the xbox game pass? Play nothing and look forward to the gaming pc at home?

To me, unless you have no way to play games on the go at all and looking forward to the stationary gaming devices at home isn't cutting it, the Ally is merely yet another device. Newcomers who buy this as their first (handheld) console will find this a worthwhile purchase for sure. The Ally doesn't stand out enough for me to consider it and it couldn't fully replace any of my older devices I already have at home.

Reactions: cthompson94

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
It looks amazing but for this price it should be near perfect which neither hardware nor software are. Anyone who ever tried to use their software utilities for Asus mainboards and graphics cards knows you can expect just about the worst garbage. And I say this as a fan of Asus products generally, despite having heard JayzTwoCents just dropped them as a sponsor and from all their recommendations going forward.

As was mentioned in the video, you pay for the device in its current state, not for some probably improved device a couple months/years down the road. There's no guarantees you'll like it much better then.

The Steam Deck is not that great either in my opinion, even though the software is more refined it still can't run a lot of games well or in many cases, at all. I have a dozen favorite games in my Steam library that are still not supported and I really don't want yet another device that has a limited library. I already have a Switch for that, the library is relatively small.

A really good handheld gaming console that costs as much as the Ally should offer a refined software experience like the Switch and the Deck, should have newer hardware like the Ally, and obviously in a dream world would play anything.

There are too many gaming consoles that each have their exclusive titles and pros and cons and I absolutely don't want yet another device. I already have 3 wireless charging pads on my desk just to combat the mess of USB-C, microUSB and Lightning cables required day to day, plus various gaming devices like the Switch, and wireless input devices, including game controllers. The Ally would be yet another device requiring charging, updating, storage bag accessoires, perhaps some account management, it just never ends.

What does any of this mean in practice or have to do with handheld gaming and the Ally? Going on a trip I have to decide which devices to bring: Macbook? Or just the iPad? The Switch too? Just the Macbook as it still plays a few Steam games on MacOS? Stream something with the xbox game pass? Play nothing and look forward to the gaming pc at home?

To me, unless you have no way to play games on the go at all and looking forward to the stationary gaming devices at home isn't cutting it, the Ally is merely yet another device. Newcomers who buy this as their first (handheld) console will find this a worthwhile purchase for sure. The Ally doesn't stand out enough for me to consider it and it couldn't fully replace any of my older devices I already have at home.

I just watched the J2C video last night. Let's just say he's less than happy with ASUS customer support as well as their quality control (they actually sent him a motherboard with bent CPU socket pins as a review unit, then tried to blame him for the damage...

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020

I use mine on battery all the time. In less demanding games (e.g PS2 era, Indies etc.) you can get 5-6 hours. The loss of the trackpads is pretty major IMO. They offer A LOT of utility especially in games not designed with controllers in mind. I imagine they'd be even more useful on Windows just navigating because there's no controller focused UI.

While Windows technically allows more games some stuff like RTS, strategy ala Crusader Kings etc are just not going to play as well on a analog stick only device. Whereas they do work on the Steam Deck (okay maybe not at serious competitive levels). I seriously want somebody like 8Bitdo to take the Steam Deck's control layout and make it into a standalone controller. The trackpads, the way gyro works, the customizability etc. are fantastic and it feels like the biggest leap in controller tech since the DualShock.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I use mine on battery all the time. In less demanding games (e.g PS2 era, Indies etc.) you can get 5-6 hours. The loss of the trackpads is pretty major IMO. They offer A LOT of utility especially in games not designed with controllers in mind. I imagine they'd be even more useful on Windows just navigating because there's no controller focused UI.

While Windows technically allows more games some stuff like RTS, strategy ala Crusader Kings etc are just not going to play as well on an analog stick only device. Whereas they do work on the Steam Deck (okay maybe not at serious competitive levels). I seriously want somebody like 8Bitdo to take the Steam Deck's control layout and make it into a standalone controller. The trackpads, the way gyro works, the customizability etc. are fantastic and it feels like the biggest leap in controller tech since the DualShock.
To be fair Valve did have a standalone controller no one bought.

Edit:
IMG_0320.jpeg
Of course I have one 😂

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Since I have a Steam Deck, I'm happy that there is competition, especially from a well-known company that has well-known gaming machines.

That said, I feel sorry for those who buy them. SteamOS isn't perfect but it is made for a gaming experience first. Windows 11 isn't. Plus, the launcher ASUS uses needs a lot of work and, from using their software on my ZenBook Pro, they really need better developers. Maybe, they could hire the people behind GOG Galaxy to make something much better.

If Apple ever got to a similar machine, what would they do? As far back as the Performa 68xx0 machines, they've had multiple launchers, none of which were very good. Finder is stable but hardly good for a handheld device, and Dock couldn't fit a whole library of games.

Valve will strive to be better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.