Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022

ROG-Phone-7-FI.png

ASUS is launching the new refresh to their flagship gaming phone today, and will roll out across the world in the coming months.

If I ever switched from iOS to Android, the obvious choice would have to be an ROG Phone. No other Android comes anywhere close in my eye.

Reactions: jamezr

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Android has foldables, which beat this in the most important category: screen.

I am not buying a foldable. I'd rather not have a permanent crease on my display thank you, especially with the numerous foldables that break after months of use.

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
I am not buying a foldable. I'd rather not have a permanent crease on my display thank you, especially with the numerous foldables that break after months of use.
Ironically, I had a-not-so amazing experience with foldables recently, and realized that I might just prefer the best slab that I can get. In many ways, that actually is this ROG Phone. The problem for me is now that I’ve looked seriously into it, I’ve realized that it’s $1400. That for the camera system this thing packs is a huge no-no. It’s so weird that they’re dumb enough to price this so high, when things like the Ally are so reasonable.

What’s all the more frustrating here is that it didn’t have to be this way. I understand that Asus doesn’t have the computational photography chops to compete with the big 3, but they could’ve pulled a Xioami and just stuffed it full of the best camera hardware they could get their hands on. That approach would also be thematically compatible with the rest of the phone (having insane hardware).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.