Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elurscam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
that i have seen it, and watched the keynote, i feel differently.

Steve asked all the same questions I was thinking before the release, and then he answered them. I found myself reassured; we were on the same page.

some say, its just a giant Ipod touch. well, yeah it is (albeit with more functionality i.e. iwork); but what is the most limiting factor of the touch, it's small. Who wants something small and portable, that is too small to really get comfortable viewing use, WHEN they could have something that is, yeah bigger, but offers a hugely improved viewing experience, and is almost just as portable.

That much was clear from the jump. I find that viewing a tiny screen, while maybe convienent because of it's ultra portability is frustrating.

I believe that any loss of portability due to the increased size is incredibly trivial when compared to the viewing pleasure gained.

Hey, listen, it's not for everyone, that's ok. You might be happy with your iPod touch, thats great; but for some of us, the increased size of and absolutely beautiful display is just what we were looking for. Function, Form, and Beauty, I believe the iPad delivers.

I already know that I will enjoy using it. I can just tell.

I think the price is right where it should be for such a device, and not just any device an APPLE device; recession or not.

Now I don't have and iPhone or and iPod touch, I have a iPod video and a MBP, so the iPad fits into my lifestyle, to be honest, it is EXACTLY what I have been needing.

It may not fit into your lifestyle, hey not everything does; but that doesn't make it a bad product.

Even if some believe Apple didn't come first, I believe that they are the first to deliver a solid, quality product, and in the end, I believe it's quality that counts.

To the future iPad users, I hope you enjoy its use, I'll be right there with you.

To everyone else, hey no sense in being a hater, why not just say "ehh, not for me" and move on to something positive for you. Life is just too short to be unhappy.

just my .02 ;)

Sincerely,
Nick

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
All they had to do was add a built-in webcam and I would have bought 2 of their top models with accessories for $2000+. I can overlook the lack of all features, but not the webcam. That would have set it apart from the iPod Touch and iPhone, yet still not as good as a MacBook. And many netbooks have a webcam in them as well.

elurscam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
All they had to do was add a built-in webcam and I would have bought 2 of their top models with accessories for $2000+. I can overlook the lack of all features, but not the webcam. That would have set it apart from the iPod Touch and iPhone, yet still not as good as a MacBook. And many netbooks have a webcam in them as well.

I can see where you are coming from. Maybe they will add it in a future update.

I would guess that battery longevity was a concern and since their focus wasn't soley on the web, a webcam just didn't fit the bill.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
Most people do web-camming indoors.. or in a WIFI spot.. rarely will they use webcamming for long periods of time on-the-go (especially since 3G quality will lag). Considering the aformentioned lines I just wrote, you would assume we could just plug this device in the dock or have it on charge as we webcam as well (if needed for a long period of time). It wouldn't have been a big issue. They could have clearly indicated: 10hr battery life for video, 1 month standby, 3hr battery life webcamming. Whats the big deal?

I can see where you are coming from. Maybe they will add it in a future update.

I would guess that battery longevity was a concern and since their focus wasn't soley on the web, a webcam just didn't fit the bill.

elurscam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Most people do web-camming indoors.. or in a WIFI spot.. rarely will they use webcamming for long periods of time on-the-go (especially since 3G quality will lag). Considering the aformentioned lines I just wrote, you would assume we could just plug this device in the dock or have it on charge as we webcam as well (if needed for a long period of time). It wouldn't have been a big issue. They could have clearly indicated: 10hr battery life for video, 1 month standby, 3hr battery life webcamming. Whats the big deal?

good point. maybe it didn't make the cut because of the physical space required for a webcam (yeah they are small, but you never know), and they didn't want to change the form factor.

as for me, I don't webcam, I'm a tech guy, but I'm married and my family doesn't webcam so no real loss for me. like I said, it may not meet the requirements for everyones lifestyle. As for me, I can see myself using it every single day.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006

I'll sell you a USB webcam for $2000

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.