Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radeon962

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2020
Anyone ever get this message when requesting an unlock through AT&T
(Attached image below).

This is for a launch day iPhone 8+ that was purchased from WalMart on an installment plan. It has been totally paid off for quite some time. It was used exclusively on AT&T under my family plan.
It has been replaced with a new iPhone 14 Pro Max that was purchased outright and unlocked from Apple and is now on my family plan.

I have been chatting with a AT&T CSR on Reddit and he confirmed that he can’t unlock it and said I need to contact Walmart.

The 8+ meets the criteria for an unlock and I just recently unlocked an iPhone 11 that was replaced with my 12 Pro Max when I bought a 14 Pro Max for myself. The iPhone 11 however was purchased through AT&T (loyalty department deal).

I have never heard of Walmart unlocking a phone but thought I would check here to see what you have to say.

7FDF60B8-13B8-4EF7-B5ED-5A37098D2732.jpeg

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Talking about the cost of buying subsidised iPhone.
Maybe walmart had some ancient contract with AT&T that locked the iPhone in some other ways normal carrier lock didn’t do. I wonder what will happen next.

Reactions: Radeon962

Radeon962

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2020
Talking about the cost of buying subsidised iPhone.
Maybe walmart had some ancient contract with AT&T that locked the iPhone in some other ways normal carrier lock didn’t do. I wonder what will happen next.

Mystery to me.

I just buy our phones outright now as we had issues with subsidized phones previously when a few of my kids traveled internationally.

The1Biz

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2018
If it's paid off there isn't any reason why it can't be unlocked.
Maybe try an AT&T store for an actual rep? Reddit seems like a strange forum for a company to do customer support on.
Per the FCC below I don't think they can keep it locked.

fcc.gov/general/cell-phone-unlocking

Last edited:

Radeon962

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2020
If it's paid off there isn't any reason why it can't be unlocked.
Maybe try an AT&T store for an actual rep? Reddit seems like a strange forum for a company to do customer support on.
Per the FCC below I don't think they can keep it locked.

fcc.gov/general/cell-phone-unlocking

My understanding as well. Reps at the T&T store typically just call customer service for you and try to elevate the concern. They generally can’t do anything technical in the store. I may stop by the local store or just give up and sell it on the bay as a locked phone.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Might try the form at the bottom of this link. Looks like this is the company Walmart deals with re locking Walmart purchased phones.

Reactions: Radeon962

Radeon962

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2020
Might try the form at the bottom of this link. Looks like this is the company Walmart deals with re locking Walmart purchased phones.

Tried it even though it was not a TracFone. No dice.

It just tells me the information entered is invalid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.