Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Copied from: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/9/4711334/at-t-upgrade-pricing-a-ripoff

"I just did some basic math, and figured out that it's actually cheaper to cancel my account
with AT&T and sign up again than it is to "Upgrade".

Let's start with some basic assumptions...

1) The iPhone 5S will come out tomorrow, and the entry level price will be $199

2) AT&T charges $325 early termination fee minus $10 for every month you've had service. Having had the phone for a year, that's a $205 early termination fee.

Scenario #1 - Loyal AT&T customer

I upgrade my iPhone 5 to an iPhone 5S. AT&T quotes this pricing as $445.

Total price: $445

Phone Number: Same number

Scenario #2 - Switcher

I port my number to Verizon. I buy the entry level phone from Verizon for $199, plus the ETF of $205 to AT&T.

Total price: $404

Phone Number: Same number

Scenario #3 - End-Around

I cancel service with AT&T, and pay the ETF of $205. I sign up for a new account with AT&T for $199.

Total Price: $404

Phone Number: I lose the number

So, It appears that AT&T is penalizing users for being loyalty, while making it more desirable to switch carriers."

The next comment said that someone explained this to an AT&T rep on their live chat and recieved a $125 discount towards the iphone early upgarde. That brings down $320 which is better than paying $445 but not was good of a discount I was able to get last year ($250).

Im basically going to copy and paste this into the live chat over and over untill I get someone who will give me a discount. Who else is going to try with me?

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Interesting, time to do some math.

Wonder if it negatively effects your credit to keep having ATT check it every time you sign up.

41qser

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
So, It appears that AT&T is penalizing users for being loyalty, while making it more desirable to switch carriers."

Why do so many people not grasp the concept of a SUBSIDIZED phone?

You bought the phone at a discount in return for X months of cell plan... shouldn't be a secret or surprise.

Keep in mind you're not turning in your phone to ATT even if you break contract and pay ETF. You can sell it and recoup your money.

Last edited:

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Why do so many people not grasp the concept of a SUBSIDIZED phone?

You bought the phone at a discount in return for X months of cell plan... shouldn't be a secret or surprise.

It wouldnt be a problem or it wouldnt bother me (or many others on here) but since AT&T USED to give us upgrades every year but now they dont. At the same time they have taken away things like unlimited data and increased prices. Also, unlike Tmobile where it is subsidized until a certain point then your bill lowers, AT&T will charge you the same price regardless of if you upgrade or not.

41qser

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
It wouldnt be a problem or it wouldnt bother me (or many others on here) but since AT&T USED to give us upgrades every year but now they dont. At the same time they have taken away things like unlimited data and increased prices. Also, unlike Tmobile where it is subsidized until a certain point then your bill lowers, AT&T will charge you the same price regardless of if you upgrade or not.

You entered into the agreement.

Buyer beware.

I'm not saying cell carriers don't screw us -- they do. But it's no secret.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Another reason not to go this route?

Unlimited data plan thought ATT which qualifies for 25% employee discount.

Newer data plans don't qualify for employee discount.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
You entered into the agreement.

Buyer beware.

I'm not saying cell carriers don't screw us -- they do. But it's no secret.

But thats the point, they do screw us over. So why not at least try to get a better deal? Whats the worst that happens? Someone says no.

I understand its in the "Agreement" but if Im already spending a lot of money on my bill to begin with, might as well as get a discount.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
But thats the point, they do screw us over. So why not at least try to get a better deal? Whats the worst that happens? Someone says no.

I understand its in the "Agreement" but if Im already spending a lot of money on my bill to begin with, might as well as get a discount.

This is me. I have a 25% discount and unlimited data.

I honestly thought about keeping the Next plan since I get such a discounted rate it offsets the subsidy price I guess but my math may be off here. I liked not having put $300 out of my pocket up front (Note 3) and can upgrade in 12 months if needed though I dont see doing that and can go the 20 months, own it, and then sell before upgrading.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Another reason not to go this route?

Unlimited data plan thought ATT which qualifies for 25% employee discount.

Newer data plans don't qualify for employee discount.

I plan on telling the reps that these are my options so what do you (the reps) plan on doing to keep me a customer? hopefully they will just give me a discount, other wise i wont be upgrading.

This is me. I have a 25% discount and unlimited data.

I honestly thought about keeping the Next plan since I get such a discounted rate it offsets the subsidy price I guess but my math may be off here. I liked not having put $300 out of my pocket up front (Note 3) and can upgrade in 12 months if needed though I dont see doing that and can go the 20 months, own it, and then sell before upgrading.

I also have the discount, so for me going to the next plan is going to cost even more money than I just want to upgrade but I dont see myself doing so unless I can make it more economically feasible (ie discount)

either way im going to try talking to the online reps right now

jdc1977

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Add a line?

I looked into doing this last year, until AT&T gave me a $250 credit to offset that additional $250 "early" upgrade fee. I already have a family plan so I was going to add a line for $10/mth for a basic voice only phone. then use that line to upgrade to the iPhone 5S this year. So next year I'll have my full upgrade on my main line. And then the following year I'll have an upgrade on the voice only line. And so on. I'll end up paying roughly $120/yr but I will get the full upgrade each year so I don't have to worry about AT&T tacking on that extra $250 fee for each phone. I talked to some people last year and they said this would work. Any thoughts? Has anyone tried it?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I looked into doing this last year, until AT&T gave me a $250 credit to offset that additional $250 "early" upgrade fee. I already have a family plan so I was going to add a line for $10/mth for a basic voice only phone. then use that line to upgrade to the iPhone 5S this year. So next year I'll have my full upgrade on my main line. And then the following year I'll have an upgrade on the voice only line. And so on. I'll end up paying roughly $120/yr but I will get the full upgrade each year so I don't have to worry about AT&T tacking on that extra $250 fee for each phone. I talked to some people last year and they said this would work. Any thoughts? Has anyone tried it?

I did this last year. They credited me the price to off-set the early upgrade. I used my new line to get the 5 last year. Now, my main line is eligible for upgrade.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
I did this last year. They credited me the price to off-set the early upgrade. I used my new line to get the 5 last year. Now, my main line is eligible for upgrade.

do you think they will credit you the price to offset the early upgrade again?

Dstopsie

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
They will credit you if you push hard enough.

I called today and got the $250 cost to upgrade from my 5 to 5s applied to my account over 3 months. Credit already shows up for this month.

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
I was going to try this year but I'm happy with the 5 and I would prefer to get the 6 instead of the 5s. It's still early so I don't know.

----------

I called today and got the $250 cost to upgrade from my 5 to 5s applied to my account over 3 months. Credit already shows up for this month.

Nice! I'm tempted.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012

nice!

if you dont mind me asking, what did you say?

Dstopsie

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
nice!

if you dont mind me asking, what did you say?

I told them they did this for me last year with out any issues and that I am a 16 year Att customer And that if they do t do it I can port over to Verizon and get their new plan where I can upgrade every year. I told them I am not eligible for their next plan til next year and that it was ridiculous that I can't get their next plan this year.

First rep would not budge. So I called back and to their retention department and had no trouble whatsoever.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I wonder if the "it's cheaper for me to pay the ETF and go to TMobile line" will work here

EDIT: One of my lines on my family plan wants a 5C, so I tried online chat. It was 15 months into the contract. Said it was cheaper to pay the ETF. Few minutes later, early upgrade upgrade got approved. Noted my account. Can go into the store on Friday or call in.

Well done AT&T. They seem to have zero issues keeping loyal customers (14+ years here) from jumping ship.

Last edited:

abercrombie

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
Yea, I'm one year into a 2 year contract with the iPhone 5.

Gonna buy 5s at full price, will be subsidized by the sale of my iPhone 5.

Hoping to go with T-mobile.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
I wonder if the "it's cheaper for me to pay the ETF and go to TMobile line" will work here

EDIT: One of my lines on my family plan wants a 5C, so I tried online chat. It was 15 months into the contract. Said it was cheaper to pay the ETF. Few minutes later, early upgrade upgrade got approved. Noted my account. Can go into the store on Friday or call in.

Well done AT&T. They seem to have zero issues keeping loyal customers (14+ years here) from jumping ship.

Nice! I tired with 2 reps but it didnt work so i guess ill just have to keep trying

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Press the option to cancel your service. Then u get transferred to their retention dept.

Try that

Thanks! Ive been trying the online chat reps. All of them have said the same thing so far that since I got the credit last year I cannot get one this year. But Ill just call retentions tomorrow

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2010
AT&T says that they're giving me an upgrade at full 2-year pricing for the iPhone 5s when I bought the 5 a year ago. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.