Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
Hey,
I'm traveling from Belgium to San Francisco for a month, leaving tomorrow, and I was thinking about:

-buying an iphone 3G (or maybe have an American friend buy it if you need to be American to sign the contract)
-paying the early cancellation fee
-Use my new iPhone in Belgium with proximus (belgian carrier)

Will this be possible? Or is there a waiting period before you can use the early termination?
(The reason for this plan is that the Belgian iPhone launch has been postponed and the iphone carrier ovr here (mobistar) has lousy 3G coverage whereas the proximus 3G network covers nearly the entire country)

Waterpolo820

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
early termination would mean that you would have to give the phone back, and then the phone would still need to be unlocked

michaelmaxwell2

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
we have no idea of unlocking this phone and it is being released in Belgium on July the 11th so why not buy it there? and most likely like other countries it will be free on certain tarrifs.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
To obtain the service they will ask you for a Social Security Number to run a credit check, and see if you are good business to AT&T.
They want all the iPhone 3G to be under a contract and no prepaid option as of Today. Start talking with your friend and check the details of the early termination fee with AT&T.

They are supposed to offer later on a no contract price for the iPhone 3G.

Assuming that you overcome this, and get your hands on the iPhone 3G then you will need to verify if the USA iPhone 3G will work with your belgian carrier, so check with them what are their policies to activate your SIM card with an iPhone plan there in Belgium.

Please bring some good beers to the USA, belgian beers are the best in the world!
________
volcano classic vaporizer

Last edited:

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
Wow this forum is active... so many replies in 10 minutes :)
After reading your answers, I'm guessing it's not possible, or at least not yet sure if it will be possible. Even when you cancel the contract the phone will not be fully unlocked? I guess I will have to wait until it gets released in Belgium then, which sadly will not be on the 11th, the launch has been postponed and we don't know when it will be released.

I won't bring waffles or beer with me ;) you're supposed to eat the waffles when they are hot so that wouldn't be practical, and I'm not sure how much beer I'm allowed to take on the plane. I could bring chocolates though... This is my first time ever outside of Europe so I'm preparing for a big culture shock ;)
Anyway, thanks for your replies.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California

protekt0r

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
Wow this forum is active... so many replies in 10 minutes :)
After reading your answers, I'm guessing it's not possible, or at least not yet sure if it will be possible. Even when you cancel the contract the phone will not be fully unlocked? I guess I will have to wait until it gets released in Belgium then, which sadly will not be on the 11th, the launch has been postponed and we don't know when it will be released.

I won't bring waffles or beer with me ;) you're supposed to eat the waffles when they are hot so that wouldn't be practical, and I'm not sure how much beer I'm allowed to take on the plane. I could bring chocolates though... This is my first time ever outside of Europe so I'm preparing for a big culture shock ;)
Anyway, thanks for your replies.

The waiting period for early termination is 30 days. After 30 days you can cancel, pay the ETF, and keep the phone. However it will still be locked. Despite some media reports, Apple & ATT are NOT going to sell the iPhone unlocked. To get it unlocked you'll have to jail break it (assuming of course someone figures that out.)

I'd say your best bet would to be to wait for the belgium launch, even if it's delayed. If it takes too long, have a friend buy it in USA and then do early termination after 30 days. During the 30 days you'll still be able to use it in Belgium, but you'll be roaming and it'll cost a fortune. The wifi and ipod would be free of course.

Van Wildonher

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
The waiting period for early termination is 30 days. After 30 days you can cancel, pay the ETF, and keep the phone. However it will still be locked. Despite some media reports, Apple & ATT are NOT going to sell the iPhone unlocked. To get it unlocked you'll have to jail break it (assuming of course someone figures that out.)

I'd say your best bet would to be to wait for the belgium launch, even if it's delayed. If it takes too long, have a friend buy it in USA and then do early termination after 30 days. During the 30 days you'll still be able to use it in Belgium, but you'll be roaming and it'll cost a fortune. The wifi and ipod would be free of course.

I don't see the reason he can't unlock it as soon as somebody figures out how. Why would he have to wait 30 days and pay roaming charges?

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
Hey,
Will this be possible? Or is there a waiting period before you can use the early termination?

People have alluded to this, but just wanted to clearly answer this question. In order to cancel during the first thirty days of service, you must return the phone. After the first thirty days, you can cancel and pay the Early Termination Fee, plus an additional fee to cover the AT&T subsidy on the phone (I do not believe they have set this amount). This would make it a very expensive proposition.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong :).

monkierojer

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
you can cancel and pay the Early Termination Fee, plus an additional fee to cover the AT&T subsidy on the phone (I do not believe they have set this amount). This would make it a very expensive proposition

I've been trying to confirm if you have to pay for subsidy cost of the iphone and both reps i called said no. Keep in mind i called before the iphone was released. I was going to assume they would raise the ETF on the iphone but have not been able to confirm it. A few of my friends already got the iphone and i told them to specifically ask about the ETF or paying back the subsidy if returned after 30 days. Apparently the sales reps are idiots and all they could say was people call att. Did you actually ask them about cancellation of the phone and they told you you had to cover the subsidy of the phone?

yktang

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Since the phone is out today, I would like to know if anyone can confirm the ETF fee? Is it still $175? Do we have to pay for the phone subsidy cost in order to keep the phone terminating after 30 days? Do I have to pay the full 2nd month service fee or the service fee will be prorated (since T-mobile charges the full month if you terminate in the middle of the billing cycle)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.