Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chung123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
So Arstechnica had this story--> https://arstechnica.com/information...ut-network-change-in-bid-to-sell-more-phones/

Realized I got this same email this morning concerning my mother's iPhone 5c. (I deleted the email.)

It says:

"Update Needed.
We will soon be upgrading our network to use the latest technologies. These updates are to serve you better and bring faster speeds and greater reliability.

But your device ending in **** is not compatible with the new network and you need to replace it to continue receiving service.Our team is here to help you find a compatible device that fits your needs. We want to help you transition as seamlessly as possible and ensure your service is not interrupted."

Seems I still have sometime to switch her over to a newer iPhone with Voice over LTE.

tim.engen

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2017
So Arstechnica had this story--> https://arstechnica.com/information...ut-network-change-in-bid-to-sell-more-phones/

Realized I got this same email this morning concerning my mother's iPhone 5c. (I deleted the email.)

It says:

"Update Needed.
We will soon be upgrading our network to use the latest technologies. These updates are to serve you better and bring faster speeds and greater reliability.

But your device ending in **** is not compatible with the new network and you need to replace it to continue receiving service.Our team is here to help you find a compatible device that fits your needs. We want to help you transition as seamlessly as possible and ensure your service is not interrupted."

Seems I still have sometime to switch her over to a newer iPhone with Voice over LTE.
Some parts of that email were a mistake like the part of the note 10 not working. Whoever wrote that messed up and didn't know what they were doing. The iPhone 5C yeah that will stop working on almost every carrier down the road

Reactions: Chung123

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Some parts of that email were a mistake like the part of the note 10 not working. Whoever wrote that messed up and didn't know what they were doing. The iPhone 5C yeah that will stop working on almost every carrier down the road
On Verizon, that cut off is by end of this year.

Chung123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
NYC

AT&T is fine as a company mostly but I had a bad experience about a year ago adding a line for my son at a company store.

There is such a push to sell stuff, (DirectTV or whatever) that they sneakily crammed some extra services onto the line.

Saw the charges added the next day and had to call them to remove the unrequested crammed money grabs. Such a shady way of doing the business.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
They sent me an email about a note ten plus not being compatible. So obviously they’ve made some mistakes.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Didn’t the iPhone 5c have LTE? (As I recall, it was basically an iPhone 5 in a plastic shell, and I know the 5 had LTE.) so why would an iPhone 5c stop working?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Didn’t the iPhone 5c have LTE? (As I recall, it was basically an iPhone 5 in a plastic shell, and I know the 5 had LTE.) so why would an iPhone 5c stop working?
LTE support but no VoLTE. It still uses 3G for calls. Same for iPhone 5s. iPhone 6 is minimum for VoLTE.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
LTE support but no VoLTE. It still uses 3G for calls. Same for iPhone 5s. iPhone 6 is minimum for VoLTE.
Ah, did not realize that. Yikes. 5s came out in 2013 but was sold as new by Apple until the original SE (2016), I believe. And probably available new from carriers longer than that. that stinks for 5/5c/5s users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.