Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Edit:
It appears I have the settings for 5G, but not the service. Boo!

I haven't read anything about this here (apologies if I missed it), but over on Howardforums AT&T customers have noticed that non-unlimited plans now have the 5G options enabled under Cellular settings.

I have a 12 Pro on an old 2GB Mobile Share Advantage Plan. Since it was pointed out on Howardforums, I checked, and my cellular settings now include 5G. I don't live in an AT&T 5G area (by about 500 feet!), but I hope to test it out later today.

Last edited:

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
Confirmed

d91cc4a1145700c8e59e215c0251ddda.jpg

Reactions: jetsam

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Just because the option is there doesn't mean you actually get access to it. I had the 5G options available after I switched to an eSIM (I got it switched on Sunday) but my phone only connected to LTE until I switched to a 5G plan (I switched it today, I was supposed to switch it on Sunday but it didn't go through).

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Just because the option is there doesn't mean you actually get access to it. I had the 5G options available after I switched to an eSIM (I got it switched on Sunday) but my phone only connected to LTE until I switched to a 5G plan (I switched it today, I was supposed to switch it on Sunday but it didn't go through).
Darn it - looks like you're right. I took a drive to an area that AT&T has marked as 5G on their map - and all I got was 5Ge - AT&T's fake name for LTE. :(

I tried various things - like setting 5G to 5G On, and restarting the phone - all to no avail.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Darn it - looks like you're right. I took a drive to an area that AT&T has marked as 5G on their map - and all I got was 5Ge - AT&T's fake name for LTE. :(

I tried various things - like setting 5G to 5G On, and restarting the phone - all to no avail.
Exactly, I didn't have to reboot my phone either. It just switched to 5G a minute after changing the plan.

I'll say that AT&T must either have crappy 5G or great LTE because the speed improvement is non-existent directly comparing the two with supposedly full bars. So if you like the plan you're on consider keeping it because AT&T doesn't have great 5G speeds and 4G LTE speeds are pretty good as is (they might be the fastest carrier for LTE, but the slowest for 5G).

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
I'll say that AT&T must either have crappy 5G or great LTE because the speed improvement is non-existent directly comparing the two with supposedly full bars. So if you like the plan you're on consider keeping it because AT&T doesn't have great 5G speeds and 4G LTE speeds are pretty good as is (they might be the fastest carrier for LTE, but the slowest for 5G).

Your observation about AT&T's LTE vs 5G performance is the prevailing wisdom, from what I've read.

My interest in 5G is more academic than practical - I'm not going off my grandfathered $83/month 2GB MSA family plan until they make me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.