Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I just got a new router, ASUS RT-AX86U, and it is a really good router. Though I only have it setup as a Access Point right now. Thinking that is a waste for it. May be better to make it my main router if possible.

I have a BGW210 from AT&T I hate how you have to use their equipment no matter what. It would be awesome if they let you buy your own somehow. Doubt that will ever happen though.

Does anyone know how to make my new router to control everything and just have the BGW210 act as a modem basically ?

If not it is ok.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
What you're looking for on the Arris BGW210 is called 'IP Passthrough' under the 'Firewall' tab in the admin settings for the gateway.

I use AT&T's gateway as you describe with my my own wireless router and even use a Pi-hole for DHCP duties.
Port forwarding for a home web server and Plex server is all handled using my equipment, not AT&T's.

It's not that hard to set up either. There's lots of how-tos around on the subject. Here is one to get you started.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
What you're looking for on the Arris BGW210 is called Passthrough mode in the admin settings for the gateway.
I use AT&T's gateway as you describe with my my own wireless router and even use a Pi-hole for DHCP duties.
Port forwarding for a home web server and Plex server is all handled using my equipment, not AT&T's.

It's not that hard to set up either. There's lots of how-tos around on the subject. Here is one to get you started.

Thank you your help is greatly appreciated!

Now time to read a lot!

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Sorry one last question @Darth.Titan but is there any disadvantage of doing this ?

Like the Arris BGW210 not being able to get a ip after a firmware update or not being able to get a firmware update ?

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I did it but there only one thing.

Changing my DNS servers make some wireless devices not work anymore does that make sense?

Is it possible ?

This is with a Asus RT-AX86U router.

Maybe it was just a coincidence?

E__F__

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2021
Chicago
I'm curious about DNS with this setup as well. All of my devices work but what i'm curious about is if changing the DNS actually bypasses AT&T's DNS? I've read that all requests still go through AT&T's DNS but not sure what to believe. I'm not seeing any additional latency to suggest that that is happening.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I did it but there only one thing.

Changing my DNS servers make some wireless devices not work anymore does that make sense?

Is it possible ?

This is with a Asus RT-AX86U router.

Maybe it was just a coincidence?

That's because those devices need the same time server the router is using to mitigate clock fluter on your network!

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I had AT&T Fiber in an apartment for about 6 months back in 2020 before I bought the house I'm in now...

IIRC, you CAN turn on the IP Passthrough / Bridge Mode on that AT&T Fiber box. It'll pass duties to your router + everything will work fine. I will caution that the AT&T App will yell at you that your wifi is disabled and it can't manage your security, but no harm in ignoring it's cries. That crap is pretty useless anyways.

Can't recall if AT&T did DNS hijacking, but I feel like I'd remember if they did. I definitely had my router set to use someone else's DNS servers. I wasn't there long enough to really test that thoroughly though.

Reactions: E__F__

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
I just got a new router, ASUS RT-AX86U, and it is a really good router. Though I only have it setup as a Access Point right now. Thinking that is a waste for it. May be better to make it my main router if possible.

I have a BGW210 from AT&T I hate how you have to use their equipment no matter what. It would be awesome if they let you buy your own somehow. Doubt that will ever happen though.

Does anyone know how to make my new router to control everything and just have the BGW210 act as a modem basically ?

If not it is ok.
well u could get rid of it and plug the ONT direcly into ur own router? unless it Requires PPPoE Authentification, then u need to get the Login Information from ur ISP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.