Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FireFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
img_1163-jpeg.2175298
AT&T FirstNet - the network dedicated for first responders

If you are a first responder and haven’t seen FirstNet, I suggest checking it out.
While all major carriers claim to offer a First Responder offering, only AT&T offers FirstNet which is not only a discounted plan, it has tremendous technical enhancements.

After 9/11, the US realized that communication was a major barrier between first responders on that horrid day, and the government started FirstNet, a wireless network which will always be available and carry priority over other standard consumer’s wireless activities.

At a certain point, they tapped AT&T to run the FirstNet program for them, signing a 25 year contract with them.

The FirstNet program uses all major carrier’s towers (that’s right) and Unlimited Data will NEVER be throttled. Furthermore, in the event of a catastrophic disaster (god forbid), even if everyone’s wireless connections are down, FirstNet will be up.

No, I don’t work for AT&T or FirstNet. I am a firefighter and was an early adopter of FirstNet. But I only learned this past week that even if you’re on the program, if you’re not utilizing a FirstNet SIM card or eSim, you won’t benefit from these technical advantages. I’m disappointed that AT&T’s phone staff wasn’t better prepared or educated about this, and I figured it out myself by chance.

IMG_1164.jpeg

UNLESS YOUR CARRIER SHOWN SAYS FIRSTNET, you’re not going to get that network priority.

Also, be advised that when activating FirstNet via eSim, you cannot have a physical SIM CARD in your phone’s sim slot. Activation will not succeed properly.

Attachments

• IMG_1163.png
    IMG_1163.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 761
Reactions: brucemr and ratspg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.