Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
i picked up the iPhone 7 at launch last year on their “free” deal - essentially, you commit to 24month plan and they credit your bill each month for the amount of the monthly payment.

If I wanted to get an X, would I simply just act as though it is a trade-in and then start paying actual monthly payments (or buy outright)? I am guessing that is the case, but wanted to verify.

And assuming that’s the case, keeping the 7 for another year is the smart move as I will own the 7 outright without having paid anything for it, then can trade it in or sell it...

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2016
i picked up the iPhone 7 at launch last year on their “free” deal - essentially, you commit to 24month plan and they credit your bill each month for the amount of the monthly payment.

If I wanted to get an X, would I simply just act as though it is a trade-in and then start paying actual monthly payments (or buy outright)? I am guessing that is the case, but wanted to verify.

And assuming that’s the case, keeping the 7 for another year is the smart move as I will own the 7 outright without having paid anything for it, then can trade it in or sell it...

Yes, I’m on the same deal with Verizon and I bought my X outright so I can keep getting my credits and then by the time it’s all “paid” off next year, i am free to sell it, etc. if you want to do an early upgrade, then you’d trade in your 7 and make payments on the X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.