Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kinkade

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
California
I still have my original wireless AT&T plan from when I first got the original iPhone the day it was released in 2007. I have the "Nation 450 with rollover" plan at $39.99. It has "Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM" for $45, and "Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling" for $10. I also have a discount, so after taxes and fees my last bill was $83.23 for one line.

Last time I considered switching a few years ago I decided not to because the new plans slowed speeds after a certain limit, and they capped streaming at like 720p or 480p. I didn't want to deal with those limitations so I kept my slightly more expensive older plan.

Now I am wondering if I should switch. I have tried calling and chatting with ATT support to see what kind of data caps and streaming caps they have, and they seem unable to tell me, which is frustrating. Multiple representatives that just keep putting me on hold while they look up that info, for hours.

Are there any advantages to staying on this old plan, like better streaming quality or more data before cutoff? any other advantages to the older plans? I don't want to switch and suddenly find myself with a worse plan.

Thanks!

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016

this video might help you out. Dude goes over all the specifics of each plan and their limitations.

also check out these ones:

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I finally switched a year or two ago, and with the FAN discount and autopay, the rep was able to get my monthly payment down lower than with the original grandfathered plan. I also gained tethering and switched my text to unlimited from the 1000 text limit I had

At the time, they were also bundling HBO Max with the Unlimited Elite, but it is no longer included in the available plans offered (still have it since grandfathered). It turned out very favorably for me

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
AT&T figured out how to make the grandfathered plans pretty unappealing to keep.

I dropped my grandfathered plans a long time ago. AT&T kept increasing the price and restricted new features like tethering to their current plans. As they may be the least customer friendly of the 3 major companies switching to T-Mobile 1 line for $80 with unlimited data was a no brainer. That price includes my Apple Watch and iPad. All together they use about 120 GB of data per month.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I'd just start digging through the plans on the website: looking at the unlimited plans page, all the video quality information is there, and the fine print at the bottom has all the dirty details.

Also dropped the grandfather plan years ago, as others mentioned, keep jacking prices and plan stuck with 2007 features.

But I went the other direction, dropped post-paid for pre-paid as never use lots of data (max was 6.5GB, typical about 2.3, 2020 and on, under 2; almost everywhere has wifi). $30/mo for 5GB with data roll-over.

Rarely stream video on the phone, and pretty much never when on cellular, so really don't care if they downgrade the video stream. Have never used phone for a hotspot. Phone for me these days is an iPod that can make calls, fitness/health track, email, and do a few other things and sits in my pocket Most of the time. Don't need a fancy phone or fancy plan.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I still have my original wireless AT&T plan from when I first got the original iPhone the day it was released in 2007. I have the "Nation 450 with rollover" plan at $39.99. It has "Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM" for $45, and "Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling" for $10. I also have a discount, so after taxes and fees my last bill was $83.23 for one line.

Last time I considered switching a few years ago I decided not to because the new plans slowed speeds after a certain limit, and they capped streaming at like 720p or 480p. I didn't want to deal with those limitations so I kept my slightly more expensive older plan.

Now I am wondering if I should switch. I have tried calling and chatting with ATT support to see what kind of data caps and streaming caps they have, and they seem unable to tell me, which is frustrating. Multiple representatives that just keep putting me on hold while they look up that info, for hours.

Are there any advantages to staying on this old plan, like better streaming quality or more data before cutoff? any other advantages to the older plans? I don't want to switch and suddenly find myself with a worse plan.

Thanks!

‘I left a similar plan and went to ATT Prepaid at $25 per month for unlimited text and talk and 8gb of data per month.

$25 per month!

Reactions: phillytim

taphil

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
I left ATT grandfathered plan a few years ago after:
FAN discount stopped being applied to total bill, only to my line
No 5G access
No tethering
Too many extra taxes and fees
Problems with iPhone having no service when losing/regaining LTE signal
Cheaper alternatives exist

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio

Thanks!
I left the original iPhone plan years ago. I’ve never noticed any lack of streaming quality. I’ve never noticed any slow downs due to data usage. Embrace the future!

FireFish

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
I firmly stood my ground and kept it up until 5G was rolled out. At that point AT&T got wise and said if you keep that plan, you cannot get 5G speeds. I folded.

Reactions: pdxa4

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I firmly stood my ground and kept it up until 5G was rolled out. At that point AT&T got wise and said if you keep that plan, you cannot get 5G speeds. I folded.

I had the unlimited for years.

Now on ATT Prepaid for $25 a month for for unlimited talk and text plus 8 GB of rollover data. I love it and it saves hundreds a year!

Best part is NO CONTRACT!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: prss14

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012

Thanks!
For what it’s worth, I pay $105/month (total) for a T-Mobile “Magenta 55+” plan which includes 3 lines. The plan is unlimited 5G, unlimited texts/calling/data.

Roaming is free overseas in most countries, except they slow the data speed unless you pay for faster speed. They offer a lot of perks, such as free Netflix and Paramount+ and AAA membership.

I’m not trying to be their cheerleader, just thought I’d give you the data.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I had my grandfathered AT&T $30 unlimited plan since 2009, and finally buckled when it got to a point that it was worth switching to the cheaper (but feature rich) Unlimited Starter plan in the middle of last year.

The grandfathered plan became much more expensive, had absolutely no hotspot data, and I still don't have a 5G phone so that was no matter.

I live in a major city and have not experienced any slowdown of speed whatsoever with the Starter Unlimited, even on so-called "peak times".

Frankly I have been enticed by T-Mobile, but glad that I didn't switch - with all of their data breaches that could expose you to SIM hijacking of your number, that worries me.

In my opinion, AT&T has been a pretty good company.

Last edited:

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
You can keep your original line on google voice for one time fee $20?. Then just have second sim for data that you grab on sales.
Like 2 weeks ago, mint was selling 3+3, or $180 for 6 month of everything unlimited 5g included.
Metro pcs has $60 plan all day unlimited and it used to have amazon prime until month ago.
T-mobile with insider discount would run you under $80.
We as a family have 2 lines with Cricket: $90(45 for line) and it has unlimited, HBO, cloud drive and 15gb tethering. All with 5g of course.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I had my grandfathered AT&T $30 unlimited plan since 2009, and finally buckled when it got to a point that it was worth switching to the cheaper (but feature rich) Unlimited Starter plan in the middle of last year.

The grandfathered plan became much more expensive, had absolutely no hotspot data, and I still don't have a 5G phone so that was no matter.

I live in a major city and have not experienced any slowdown of speed whatsoever with the Starter Unlimited, even on so-called "peak times".

Frankly I have been enticed by T-Mobile, but glad that I didn't switch - with all of their data breaches that could expose you to SIM hijacking of your number, that worries me.

In my opinion, AT&T has been a pretty good company.
I think the best way to go is to switch carriers every two years during the "free phone!!!!" promo that AT&T and T-Mobile run around the time of an iPhone launch. Right now, T-Mobile has such a deal, allegedly up to four free iPhone 14 and four lines at $25 each per month. You can't get those deals for renewing, only for a new line, so ping-ponging between AT&T, T-Mobile and maybe Verizon seems the best way to stretch your dollars.

Reactions: phillytim

Piscestg

Cancelled
Dec 11, 2022
For what it’s worth, I pay $105/month (total) for a T-Mobile “Magenta 55+” plan which includes 3 lines. The plan is unlimited 5G, unlimited texts/calling/data.

Roaming is free overseas in most countries, except they slow the data speed unless you pay for faster speed. They offer a lot of perks, such as free Netflix and Paramount+ and AAA membership.

I also have the Magenta 55+ and also pay $105 total a month. My plan covers two iPhones, three Apple Watches and my iPad.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I also jumped to T-mobile and I would have stayed with AT&T except they did the one big no no for me. The nearest cell phone tower was less than a mile from my place and I had great connections to the tower. Well AT&T decided that the tower was not close enough to the freeway and moved out of the tower they shared with Sprint and Verizon. The issue the new tower is now 3 miles away ok no problem but it is, I live on top of a hill but there is a larger hill in direct line of sight of the AT&T tower so all of us that were on AT&T suddenly are in a dead zone.
I tried out my buddy's T-Mobile phone and he was like 4 bars and no dead zone. I signed up the next day for T-Mobile and since I signed up 5 years ago I am on a 55+ plan that was less than half of AT&T.

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017

I’ll be calling them in 9 months and inquiring about changing my plan to the 55+.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
This is the first grandfathered att question I’ve seen here in years. Has to tell you something most have made a decision it’s not worth it. Heck I’m on unlimited 5g with tethering on visible for $35 with Apple Watch. I can’t bring myself to spend $45 or more on phone internet. Screw that.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
‘I left a similar plan and went to ATT Prepaid at $25 per month for unlimited text and talk and 8gb of data per month.

$25 per month!
I have that plan as well. The ATT rep at the store told me I wouldn’t be happy with the service of the prepaid. My husband has post paid 5 GB and I have matched our service out and about - I see no difference.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I have that plan as well. The ATT rep at the store told me I wouldn’t be happy with the service of the prepaid. My husband has post paid 5 GB and I have matched our service out and about - I see no difference.
I have been on it for almost a year and can not remember having a dropped call. 90% of my communications with my customers is done by text. I am getting 5G most the time but 5G does little to help me. Maybe by service they are talking about customer service. Could not be worst than ATT. I have never had a need to talk to an agent except when I moved to a SiM free phone.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have been on it for almost a year and can not remember having a dropped call. 90% of my communications with my customers is done by text. I am getting 5G most the time but 5G does little to help me. Maybe by service they are talking about customer service. Could not be worst than ATT. I have never had a need to talk to an agent except when I moved to a SiM free phone.
They were talking cellular service not being as good as the post paid plan. I still have ATT, just prepaid instead of postpaid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.