Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgribin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
I got an iPhone 5 last year and my early upgrade date with AT&T isn't until 9/15. Based on past behavior, I suspect 5S pre-orders to go live the Friday after the phone is announced - so, on 9/13.

I just contacted AT&T and they said they can only move my date up if I place the order with them. I'd like to have the phone at launch and be able to place the order with Apple. It doesn't seem like that's an option now but what have you guys seen? Anyone on AT&T with an iPhone 5 also looking to upgrade?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
What do you mean by AT&T Early Upgrade? Do you mean subsidized pricing ($199) or do you mean paying the extra $250 for upgrading early ($449)?

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
I thought AT&T gave you the early upgrade price after just 6 months, and full subsidy after 18 months. Did they change it now?

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
I thought AT&T gave you the early upgrade price after just 6 months, and full subsidy after 18 months. Did they change it now?

Full subsidy has changed now, you have to fulfill the full 2 yrs. Early upgrade is still the same after 6 months...

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Well your best options are to just order from AT&T or wait in line at an Apple/AT&T store on launch day. The $250 is certainly not worth it.

Or contact them again. I've found their live chat to be extra helpful at night, perhaps they outsource their support to India? Lol.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
It's cheaper to pay full price (device only) anyway. Paying $250 every year is $500 every two. Paying full price now is only $450 extra. You save $50 by paying full price every other year.... :cool:

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Full subsidy has changed now, you have to fulfill the full 2 yrs. Early upgrade is still the same after 6 months...

I remember AT&T also used to make your primary line upgrade eligible after 12 months if you paid a large enough monthly bill. Is that gone as well?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I remember AT&T also used to make your primary line upgrade eligible after 12 months if you paid a large enough monthly bill. Is that gone as well?

Man. Where have u been. Att quietly got rid of 12 month upgrades in the Spring 2011. Of course those who upgraded before the spring 2011 change still had "one last 12 month upgrade" to use between Spring 2011 and 2012. Say u upgraded in June 2010 for iPhone 4. You would have been eligible for full upgrade in June 2011.

But if you upgraded in May 2011 for iPhone 4. You would not have been eligible in May 2012. You would have had to wait 18 months.

But now the upgrade has changed again. Att and Verizon both require 24 month for full subsidies for contracts ending in 2014.

It's a sneaky way to "decrease the device subsidy and indirect way to raise prices". Most people don't realize this. But it amounts to price increases. If you can't upgrade in 18 months and have to wait 24 months. That's an extra $15-20 per month they indirectly added to your bill by making you wait.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Man. Where have u been.

I left AT&T postpaid for a variety of AT&T MVNOs to lower my bill, but ultimately came back to postpaid for the iPhone 5. It turns out you can do pretty well on a cost-per-phone-line basis with 5 people on a Mobile Share plan and a 23% FAN discount.

I thought that the 12 month upgrade perk was gone, but didn't know for sure.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I left AT&T postpaid for a variety of AT&T MVNOs to lower my bill, but ultimately came back to postpaid for the iPhone 5. It turns out you can do pretty well on a cost-per-phone-line basis with 5 people on a Mobile Share plan and a 23% FAN discount.

I thought that the 12 month upgrade perk was gone, but didn't know for sure.

Yes. 12 month upgrade is gone from all 3 major carriers in USA.

And yes. I hate it when people bash ATT and Verizon saying they are expensive. Yes for 1-2 and even 3 line they are more expensive. But once u get 4-5 lines ATT and Verizon per line cost along with discounts are not any more expensive than the prepaid options.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Yes. 12 month upgrade is gone from all 3 major carriers in USA.

And yes. I hate it when people bash ATT and Verizon saying they are expensive. Yes for 1-2 and even 3 line they are more expensive. But once u get 4-5 lines ATT and Verizon per line cost along with discounts are not any more expensive than the prepaid options.

After doing some research over the past few days you are correct.

NickG420

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
In Wayne Gacey's Basement
I missed the 24 month enforcement by a week...My wife was not so lucky.

We both left iPhone for the Galaxy Note when the 4S came out. We both grew tired of the Note after a year or so. Plus everyone we know has iPhones and we realized if we went back to an iPhone we could drop the $30 a month texting plan.

So we added a ghost line to get her the iPhone 5 without the early upgrade fee. It also gives us an extra line that will be upgrade eligible so theoretically we will always have an upgrade.

I have an upgrade now, her line is eligible in Feb of 2014. So it works out for us in the end.

I will be moving from my Note to the Iphone 5S as soon as I can preorder. Nothing against Android or the Note, I am just ready for something new again. So I am moving back to iPhone and iOS7.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
ya but tbh 2 whole days equates to getting the phone 2 weeks later.

edit: unless I camp out I guess...

Just pick the least busiest store in your area. The apple store downtown is always packed but there's another one near me that's dead compared to the other store.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I missed the 24 month enforcement by a week...My wife was not so lucky.

We both left iPhone for the Galaxy Note when the 4S came out. We both grew tired of the Note after a year or so. Plus everyone we know has iPhones and we realized if we went back to an iPhone we could drop the $30 a month texting plan.

So we added a ghost line to get her the iPhone 5 without the early upgrade fee. It also gives us an extra line that will be upgrade eligible so theoretically we will always have an upgrade.

I have an upgrade now, her line is eligible in Feb of 2014. So it works out for us in the end.

I will be moving from my Note to the Iphone 5S as soon as I can preorder. Nothing against Android or the Note, I am just ready for something new again. So I am moving back to iPhone and iOS7.

One of reasons Verizon and ATT are pushing for mobile share/share everything is to discourage "ghost lines" that only cost $10/month to maintain yet people add these lines in order toget the subsidy from a real smartphone to use on another line than switch the ghost line back to a flip line with no data.

The much higher added cost for mobile share/everything share plans for new lines with new subsides is much more than traditonal plans att and verizon offered. At least Att still gives you option to switch back to old voice plans. Verizon doesn't give new customers that option.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I got an iPhone 5 last year and my early upgrade date with AT&T isn't until 9/15. Based on past behavior, I suspect 5S pre-orders to go live the Friday after the phone is announced - so, on 9/13.

I just contacted AT&T and they said they can only move my date up if I place the order with them. I'd like to have the phone at launch and be able to place the order with Apple. It doesn't seem like that's an option now but what have you guys seen? Anyone on AT&T with an iPhone 5 also looking to upgrade?

I'm surprised you can see the early upgrade date, and that your date is that early. Did you order your iPhone 5 online on 09/15/2012?

I purchased my iPhone 5 on launch day last year (09/21/2012), and my account doesn't show eligible for an early upgrade. AT&T says it should be eligible after one year (09/21/2013), and my full discount date is 09/21/2014. If AT&T holds me to those dates, it looks like I will miss Launch day by one day (I know, I know "boo hoo: one day")...unless they launch on 09/21/2013?

Seems like everyone who purchased a iPhone 5 on launch day last year would be in this boat. Hoping AT&T will adjust those dates a few days, so I can do the early upgrade on launch day again.

dmystic1

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
Hemet, CA
I have 3 lines only been open since 11/2012 and all 3 show eligible for early upgrades when I log in online. Wishful thinking but was hoping AT&T would make me full eligible for the upcoming iPhone release.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Are all of the people waiting for the 12 month mark on single lines? I bought a launch day iPhone 5 and can do an early upgrade now, but I'm the primary on a 5 line plan. I wonder if AT&T is determining 6 or 12 month early upgrade dates based on how much your bill is.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
ya but tbh 2 whole days equates to getting the phone 2 weeks later.

edit: unless I camp out I guess...

What's more important getting the iphone 5s on launch day or paying $199.?? Don't worry about bragging rights 2 weeks is no big deal

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Does anyone know if AT&T allows you to do two early upgrades in a row?

For example if you did an early upgrade to the iPhone 5, does your account show you are eligible for an early upgrade for the 5S?

I have been told by AT&T that you are eligible after one year, but other sources say 6 months, and I found old info that said no 2nd early upgrade until after 18 months.

devildog820

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Does anyone know if AT&T allows you to do two early upgrades in a row?

For example if you did an early upgrade to the iPhone 5, does your account show you are eligible for an early upgrade for the 5S?

I have been told by AT&T that you are eligible after one year, but other sources say 6 months, and I found old info that said no 2nd early upgrade until after 18 months.

They told me when I early upgraded that I could do it only once a year. My date is on the 14th, so we'll see what the deal is. If they won't let me, I'll just transfer my account to Verizon for a year (ETF will be ~$205 or $215).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.