Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMiami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Currently I have 3 lines on a family plan with AT&T (all with iPhones). 2 of them are available for an upgrade and I was planning on giving my iPhone 4S to someone on one of the other lines who currently has a 3GS since I'm getting a 5S next week. Am I able to do that and have the 4S as the working phone on that line and still use the upgrade on that line to purchase another 5S if I don't use it? If so, would I just take out the SIM card that's currently in the 3GS and use it in the 4S? Basically I want to purchase 2 iPhone 5S' but only use 1 on my plan. I plan to give the other one to my brother who is on a completely different plan (not one of the 3 lines I have) but isn't eligible for an upgrade at the moment.

iChillax

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Currently I have 3 lines on a family plan with AT&T (all with iPhones). 2 of them are available for an upgrade and I was planning on giving my iPhone 4S to someone on one of the other lines who currently has a 3GS since I'm getting a 5S next week. Am I able to do that and have the 4S as the working phone on that line and still use the upgrade on that line to purchase another 5S if I don't use it? If so, would I just take out the SIM card that's currently in the 3GS and use it in the 4S? Basically I want to purchase 2 iPhone 5S' but only use 1 on my plan. I plan to give the other one to my brother who is on a completely different plan (not one of the 3 lines I have) but isn't eligible for an upgrade at the moment.

From what I understand... You can purchase 2 iPhone 5s for the subsidized rate and use your 2 upgrades up. You're free to do whatever you want with those phones. You can use 1 of the iPhones for your own use and give your iPhone 4s to another family member to replace the 3GS. The other iPhone 5s that you purchase will only work if your brother has the same network provider as you but it should work.

AppleMiami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
From what I understand... You can purchase 2 iPhone 5s for the subsidized rate and use your 2 upgrades up. You're free to do whatever you want with those phones. You can use 1 of the iPhones for your own use and give your iPhone 4s to another family member to replace the 3GS. The other iPhone 5s that you purchase will only work if your brother has the same network provider as you but it should work.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. He has AT&T also so that shouldn't be a problem. How does the SIM card situation work though? Do I put the one from the 3GS in the 4S or use the new one that comes with the 5S?

iChillax

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. He has AT&T also so that shouldn't be a problem. How does the SIM card situation work though? Do I put the one from the 3GS in the 4S or use the new one that comes with the 5S?

i believe the 3GS and 4S have different SIM cards. You'll have to go to AT&T and either buy a new SIM card from them or maybe they can hook you up with one for free. I plan on getting a 5S and giving my 4 to a family member so they will have to get a SIM card as well.

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
The phones come with sim cards installed. I did this last year (used another lines upgrade to get the iPhone5). All you have to do is call AT&T before you turn the one on that is for your brother. They will make the switch on their end and update the IMEI and sim card number (thus killing the sim in his current phone). So make sure he is ready when you call.....may need him available too if adding to his own personal account as they will need to verify the info. It's pretty easy and the reps walk you through testing the phone to make sure it works. :D

AppleMiami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
The phones come with sim cards installed. I did this last year (used another lines upgrade to get the iPhone5). All you have to do is call AT&T before you turn the one on that is for your brother. They will make the switch on their end and update the IMEI and sim card number (thus killing the sim in his current phone). So make sure he is ready when you call.....may need him available too if adding to his own personal account as they will need to verify the info. It's pretty easy and the reps walk you through testing the phone to make sure it works. :D

Hmm... maybe I'll just take the SIM card out before sending it to him and he can pick up a new SIM card locally. That should work without me having to spend time on the phone with AT&T, right? I can just pick up a new SIM card for the 4S here as well... or just have them reassign the one that's in it already to the other line? Not sure how that works exactly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.