Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
I called At&t this morning to "gather" some information from them such as my account number and the basic information about what happens to my account after I switch carriers. I casually mentioned that Verizon's new unlimited data plan was appealing and offered the ability to use a hotspot with 10gb of data.

I have At&t's unlimited plan with directv. I do not use the TV service as it was a way to get my 10 line plan cheaper. As I am consistently on the go, not having mobile hotspot has significantly impacted my productivity and is an important feature to have for me. I have been with At&t the better part of 10 years and have never had an issue with my account.

--

When I discussed my goals with the AT&T retention rep, they simply offered me a reduction in my monthly billing or a reduced mobile share plan with 100gb of data. This wouldn't work, we average about 150gb of data a month and getting people to use wifi has been a real b*tch (my brother consistently uses 60 himself). They also offered to cancel my directv service with a standard cancellation fee which would allow me to have unlimited data for 60 days. After which I would be downgraded to a mobile share plan.

Seriously? Thats it?

Im not in a rush to switch, ill give At&t a week or two to figure out their rebuttal. After all Verizon did just drop this out of no where. If at&t remains mum, ill visit the local Verizon retailer.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
My parents have been AT&T customers since before they were Cingular (don't remember the previous names). They currently have the new unlimited plan on AT&T that they switched to from the old one, but after calling my dad this morning and telling him all the details about Verizon's plan, he's ready to switch to Verizon just like that.

This plan would be cheaper for the family, it doesn't require DirecTV, which they have anyway but this is better in case they decide to drop it in the future, it offers tethering, and Verizon's coverage has been much better than AT&T in my experience (I've had my own Verizon unlimited plan for 5½ years and I added a tablet on their unlimited AT&T plan a year ago and Verizon has much more and more reliable coverage).

Basically, he's going to save about $80/month, not be required to keep DirecTV, get tethering included, and get Verizon's better coverage. There are almost no downsides.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
Im curious if At&t will actually respond otherwise. I fear that they might view their unlimited plan is enough.

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
My parents have been AT&T customers since before they were Cingular (don't remember the previous names). They currently have the new unlimited plan on AT&T that they switched to from the old one, but after calling my dad this morning and telling him all the details about Verizon's plan, he's ready to switch to Verizon just like that.

This plan would be cheaper for the family, it doesn't require DirecTV, which they have anyway but this is better in case they decide to drop it in the future, it offers tethering, and Verizon's coverage has been much better than AT&T in my experience (I've had my own Verizon unlimited plan for 5½ years and I added a tablet on their unlimited AT&T plan a year ago and Verizon has much more and more reliable coverage).

Basically, he's going to save about $80/month, not be required to keep DirecTV, get tethering included, and get Verizon's better coverage. There are almost no downsides.

Funny enough, they were AT&T Wireless before Cingular bought them. I was also a customer who went from AT&T, to Cingular, back to AT&T through various mergers and acquisitions.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Its been one circle with their company name. AT&T -> Cingular -> AT&T.

tedwill

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
I would imagine AT&T is feverishly running the numbers since all of their competition now has unlimited data. I too was grandfathered into the program after having it for years. I traveled internationally for years before AT&T had GSM in the US back before the Cingular days. They've never led the charge for cheaper service, but in this case, their toughest competitor just threw down the gauntlet, I think they'll respond soon. My 16 year old daughter is always pushing the limits on our family plan. I'd love to see an end to me shutting off her data plan in the last few days of the billing cycle.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
A big problem that makes switching from AT&T to Verison is that most AT&T phones have intel LTE radios you need Qualcomm for Verizon. So to switch means buying a new phone

Reactions: imlynxy

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
ATT could very well do nothing. I reduced my bill from $275 to $165 per month by dumping the unlimited lines and going to the 10GB share plan. All of us together never used more than 7GB with 90% being around 5GB so it was just not worth it to me. My home and office WiFi handle most of my data, just need it for in the field.

AT&T is a lot of things but clueless they are not. It is all about marketing and they hold all the numbers. They know there will be a certain amount of account churned and accept that.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmtaylor

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I still have my grandfathered unlimited data plan, bad enough the price is increasing by $5 next month. I'm giving AT&T one month to respond, if not like many I will be switching to Verizon.
Interesting. I have both VZW and AT&T grandfathered unlimited data (I've been with AT&T longer and got the VZW during the 2014 iPhone 6 glitch). I'm tempted to see if I can port my AT&T line to VZW and cancel my existing VZW account. I don't need more than 10GB tethering. When I go online, it thinks I want to add a VZW line, so defaults to the $110 access fee (vs the $65 access fee for a single unlimited line).
[doublepost=1487005578][/doublepost]
A big problem that makes switching from AT&T to Verison is that most AT&T phones have intel LTE radios you need Qualcomm for Verizon. So to switch means buying a new phone
And of course, Verizon still thinks like a CDMA carrier and insists on activating a device vs. a SIM card. I actually have a VZW iPhone 7 that I use on AT&T. I enter the IMEI online and it insists that I must be activating a VZW device on an existing line, rather than trying to open a brand new VZW account. :mad:

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
Has anyone actually called at&t yet and warned them about a potential migration? What was their response?

I had a mysterious credit of 85$ appear on my bill today..

Reactions: Applejuiced

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
at&t will cave but not until 100k or more switch over to Verizon. Oh the churn

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
They're not going to respond immediately, maybe in due time. Ironic how every carrier moved from unlimited to tiered and now back to unlimited. smh. Still have my ATT UDP plan, saw a credit of 5 bucks on my account, not sure why since next month it'll be bumped up.

BearBert

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015

That would only play a factor if one has the AT&T variant of the 7/7plus. Luckily I brought the Sim free 7plus.

NougatDude

Suspended
Dec 5, 2016
Oh how I love Verizon we have udp with all major carrier and now we can add new lines to a subaccount and finally get the 7 plus and s7 edge!!

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
They say they are giving free phones to switchers coming over from another service provider.

Dinozero

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Seriously? Thats it?

Im not in a rush to switch, ill give At&t a week or two to figure out their rebuttal. After all Verizon did just drop this out of no where. If at&t remains mum, ill visit the local Verizon retailer.

I agree with OP! I called a few times today. They are driving me nuts how unprepared they are for this. I've got 8 lines on ATT and have been with them over 10 years. I've never considered switching until now.

What really gets my goat is we have DireTV Now and that is not considered for the unlimited data plan.

If it wasn't for the fact we are receiving monthly bill credits for 3 iphone 7's I would have left at noon today.

Hopefully they come up with something in the next few days.

Reactions: sst 23

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
Can someone tell me what VZW is offering to tempt a switch?!!

Currently I have the UDP with Directv. I pay around $150-160/mo for 2 lines. Can VZW beat that?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.