Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Hi,

I'm planning to travel to the US next month.
A couple of years ago, I was able to buy off ebay an AT&T sim card for my Iphone 4.
On AT&T there was a $2 a day plan and then added a data package during my stay, all worked very well.

I can't seem to find these packages anymore.. under prepaid plans http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html I don't see $2 a day option or anything like it :confused:
I'm only going for a few days, so monthly plans are out of the question.

Anyone knows what's the deal now with pre-paid sims?

I don't want to get a T-Mobile sim because I believe it will give me only 2G speed

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
It's on that page, under "Basic/quick messaging phone plans." Your only data option though is 50MB for $5.

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
It's on that page, under "Basic/quick messaging phone plans." Your only data option though is 50MB for $5.

I see:(
what this exactly means?: "this Data is pay-per-use for Basic/Quick Messaging phones only. 1¢/5kb " Basic phones? not smartphones like an iPhone?

There is no pre-paid plan anymore for an iPhone?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I see:(
what this exactly means?: "this Data is pay-per-use for Basic/Quick Messaging phones only. 1¢/5kb " Basic phones? not smartphones like an iPhone?

There is no pre-paid plan anymore for an iPhone?

There are still prepaid plans, but they are expensive, and as far as I can tell none that are per day, they all are per month. I was back in the states for about a month and got a $25 plan, but it didn't have data, the only options I had for data were the $5 for 50MB or going with a $50 plan that included it.

Of course I will always leave open the possibility that I missed a better plan online and the AT&T sales person lied to get more money out of me...

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
There are still prepaid plans, but they are expensive, and as far as I can tell none that are per day, they all are per month. I was back in the states for about a month and got a $25 plan, but it didn't have data, the only options I had for data were the $5 for 50MB or going with a $50 plan that included it.

Of course I will always leave open the possibility that I missed a better plan online and the AT&T sales person lied to get more money out of me...

there is a plan for $35 unlimited data, however it says "Unlimited data for Quick Messaging/Basic phones. Wi-Fi only for Smartphones." so not use on an iPhone then?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
there is a plan for $35 unlimited data, however it says "Unlimited data for Quick Messaging/Basic phones. Wi-Fi only for Smartphones." so not use on an iPhone then?

I believe you can't use that one on an iPhone. If you get the sim and cut it down I'm not sure you might be able to make it work but I have a feeling they would catch you rather quickly and move you to a different plan.

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I believe you can't use that one on an iPhone. If you get the sim and cut it down I'm not sure you might be able to make it work but I have a feeling they would catch you rather quickly and move you to a different plan.

Cutting the sim is fine.. it's just that it seems the old plans of a adding a data package doesnt exist anymore unless you sign up for an expensive monthly plan and you still have to add data on top of that.
I only need data for a few days and I don't need to make phone calls
And you can only get data on a non smart phone... kinda ridiculous ... I guess I'll have to look for another alternative..:mad:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
And you can only get data on a non smart phone... kinda ridiculous ... I guess I'll have to look for another alternative..:mad:

Yep, as you look around you will realize that US carriers suck compared to most places in the world. Also keep in mind that AT&T and T-Mobile are the only US carriers that use sim cards so your options will be somewhat limited. I'm assuming you will be in an area that you can't rely on just wifi?

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Yep, as you look around you will realize that US carriers suck compared to most places in the world. Also keep in mind that AT&T and T-Mobile are the only US carriers that use sim cards so your options will be somewhat limited. I'm assuming you will be in an area that you can't rely on just wifi?

I'll be in LA and I've just realised (and if I understood correctly) that with T-Mobile you can now get 3G in certain areas, LA seems to be ok. And their prices are more reasonable
I just need the internet to go out and about in the street to check maps, the web, messages etc..

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I bought a T-mobile sim from a T-mobile store. $10 for the sim, activated in store and pay as you go $3 a day, including data, texts and calls.
I had no issues with the internet in LA , I had 3G most if not all the time:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.