Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bootleg2go

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
After updating both mine and my wife's iPhone 4S from 5.01 to 5.1 a few days ago, we started having a strange issue with both of our phones.
When placing a call, instead of hearing the phone ringing, there is sound which I can only describe as "Garbled" "complete digital distortion". When the other party answers, it's the same.
We can sometimes place several calls without this happening, but sometimes it will also happen several times in a row. We have good signal (3 or more bars) and it's not related to the signal level as far as I can tell.

I thought that maybe it was a a local AT&T service issue and called their customer support to report this. They looked at line quality and such and then asked if I had updated to 5.1 and I told them I had. She then said they had been getting a large amount of calls on this same issue and commonality between all the callers was they had updated to 5.1.
I was transferred to 2nd and then 3rd level support who had me restore from new to see if that would fix and if not to call apple support. AT&T said they had close to enough calls on this issue that they would soon be escalating this to apple as a known issue with 5.1.

Apple support 1st offered to send us new phones, but I told them that that didn't make sense since this only happened after the update and we would wait a few days to see if a new fix is made available. They couldn't find an official way for us to downgrade back to 5.01, but said I could search macroumors or google iclarify and try to find a way to downgrade back to 5.01.

If you notice this on your phone, call AT&T and let them know, the more people who report it, the sooner it'll be addressed.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue, it was most likely ATT's issue and they didnt fess up, I'm sure it will be resolved. If not make sure you have the latest ATT carrier update on your phone.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
One thing I have always done after an OS update is reset the network settings. That will reset/update the ATT apn and usually take care of any network issues.

Try doing that and see if your issues get fixed.

Bootleg2go

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
One thing I have always done after an OS update is reset the network settings. That will reset/update the ATT apn and usually take care of any network issues.

ATT had me do a restore from new, I'll try the reset network settings, does resetting the network settings delete the wifi password?
I ask because my password is a very long random number that's not easy to enter.

iphone1105: where do I find the latest ATT carrier update, does resetting the network settings do this or is it something I need to download?

Thanks

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
ATT had me do a restore from new, I'll try the reset network settings, does resetting the network settings delete the wifi password?
I ask because my password is a very long random number that's not easy to enter.

iphone1105: where do I find the latest ATT carrier update, does resetting the network settings do this or is it something I need to download?

Thanks

Restoring the network settings will update automatically grab the latest att apn settings.

Yes, if you reset the network settings you will lose any saved wifi password. So make sure you have them written down before you do it.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

The APN settings have absolutely nothing to do with voice calls.

As for the OP's situation, I have encountered this with iOS 5.1

I placed a call here in the UK on my carrier (Three) with my iPhone 4 and the audio sounded like an alien broadcast out of a science fiction movie.

Ending the call and then redialling resolved the issue.

villane72

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
I participate in several conference calls daily with my iPhone 4s and have been doing so since I received it (pre-ordered, received on day 1 of deliveries). There was definitely a change in the call quality with ios 5.1 that's very perceivable while talking to someone who's using a Polycom conference phone. This never improved with all 5.X firmware. I have only recently "upgraded" to 6.3 (I held off going to ios 6.X due to the map issue) but the call quality has not improved. Sadly, I use Skype to connect to conference calls which has much better call quality in general (but this uses up data). I'm not sure what the source of the problem is but it's a real problem that's not due to some setting on the phone. I have a feeling its due to some software change on the ATT side. I recall that ATT was having some bandwidth issues when the 4s was introduced. I think ATT reduced the call quality to reduce data coming from phones. Not sure of course. I'm very disappointed in my phone nonetheless. Next thing to try is using my girlfriend's phone since she's on Verizon. It is an iPhone 5 but if it sounds much better I'll compare a coworker's iPhone 5 on ATT. My bet is on ATT screwing this up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.