Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KrisAK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
My friend's AT&T iPhone insists on using cellular data for Facetime. I recommended she switch to OFF "Cellular Data" for the FaceTime app. On my phone (different carrier) that forces FaceTime to only use free Wi-Fi.

Turns out, her iPhone's "Cellular Data" settings don't have an app-specific toggle for FaceTime. And if you turn cellular data OFF globally, FaceTime continues to work...on cellular.

Is this an AT&T limitation? I see on a screenshot she sent me that "Wi-Fi Calling" is disabled on her phone, and am wondering if 1) this need to be on for FaceTime to use Wi-Fi, or if 2) if AT&T forces you to use their own "Wi-Fi Calling" feature.

Anyone with AT&T who's gotten this to work care to share their settings? Thanks.

worldvga

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2018
Florida
AT&T Won't Charge for FaceTime Over Cellular, Will Require New Mobile Share Plan. AT&T will not charge customers for using the FaceTime over Cellular feature in iOS 6, but will require users to be on one of its new Mobile Share data plans. ...FaceTime will continue to be available over Wi-Fi for all our customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.